Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree2Likes

Old 07-05-2009, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

The Quit Smoking Thread.

Quit? How'd you do it?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Cold Turkey.

Fucking hard.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Alan Carr's book, The Easy Way To Stop Smoking
J. Canines likes this.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubaya View Post
I was ready to quit, just feared it was impossible, since I tried and failed so many times before. Someone gave me this book and said I would quit the day I finished the last page in the book. I thought they were full of shit, and read it just to prove them wrong.

At the last page, I crushed out my last cigarette and haven't had one for 5 years. And quitting was actually a good experience. I felt better every day, I wasn't in cold sweats like the times before. No insomnia, etc.

I've given out 3 or 4 copies to friends that wanted to quit since, telling them it would make them quit. None believed me, but it worked for all of them. (I did give it to a guy who didn't want to quit, and he didn't quit. So make sure the person wants to.)
Old 07-05-2009, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

So what's the book about? Specifically. Reasons to quit smoking?

I quit but I use Skoal several times per day. Skoal is a lot cheaper and less devistating to your health, but like it says on the can: not a safe alternative. I tried Snus but it doesn't give as satisfying a dose of nic as traditional snuff.

When I quit smoking the only thing that worked well was replacement. First I used patches but as soon as I stopped using the absurdly expensive patches the craving would return. Patch-induced nightmares are terrible too.

Snuff gives you replacement without the drug side effects of the patches. It is better than smoking and you won't find yourself using it nearly as much as smoking. It isn't socially acceptable around or for women, but it works well as an occasional satisfying nicotine dose.

After several years of using a can every three days, I don't have any oral problems from it, but I am a pretty frequent brusher.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I used the patch for a week and it made me soooo sick...I quit using it and ended up quiting cold turkey. It was the hardest thing. I firmly believe you should get a free pass to Kill anyone who irritates you the first month, after that it's mostly situational.....I have no problem being at parties or bars anymore. I don't EVER want to go thru that first week of hell again. Thats what I think about now when I see people smoke and it's just not worth it.
J. Canines likes this.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
So what's the book about? Specifically. Reasons to quit smoking?
Hard to explain. It's not a book to scare you into stopping, it actually tells you to keep smoking while you read and only stop when you feel you're ready. It examines smoking, why you do it, what it does for you and makes you realize it's all in the mind and you don't need to smoke. If someone told me that, I wouldn't believe it, but listening to the audio book, I was saying "holy shit he's absolutely right" every few minutes.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubaya View Post
I am d/l it right now. you can find it easily on the net or if you want me to post it some where just let me know.

I was just thinking of trying to quit again. For me, getting out and walking/running helped last time. That's my plan. And the thought of how much money I will be saving makes me happy.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

My father smoked from 15-53, used the patch for a couple of months and it worked for him.

Or try running for a mile in under 8 minutes. That should be incentive enough.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

I wasn't a heavy smoker, and I didn't smoke for very long, but quitting was really hard for me, despite the fact that I had asthma, and at some points, couldn't breath normally without wheezing.

I asked a friend of mine who had quit for years how she had done it, and she told me that she prayed every morning for God to take the obsession away from her. I felt really stupid doing it, especially since I didn't really believe in God at the time, and I've never believed in that kind of God at all, but I wanted to quit smoking so I was willing to try anything.

The last cigarette I smoked was the end of a pack I found in my car on a Thursday of July, 2003. I'm not saying that God did it, in fact I think I'd just never wanted to quit like that before.

Coincidentally, the woman that told me that started smoking again a couple of years ago.