Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree2Likes

Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 PM   #231 (permalink)

Yeah, same here - love carbs - I love bread, potatoes (and everything made from it!) and pasta and so on. Not eating carbs is a real sacrifice, but the results are so fast it's still worth it for me.

Most people seem to recommend eating a sturdy breakfast - and several small meals during the day. I hate breakfast though - I think everything tastes like paper when I just woke up :P Still, it could be something to try.

Tips and tricks aside though, I guess it's just about keeping it going. Having support from family and friends. Someone to go to the gym with and reading stuff on the internet really helps keeping the spirit up. Just keep in there and you WILL hit 180, that's a fact.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #232 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurban View Post
I've never tried massage with a lacrosse ball, but I'll try it out.

I usually do:
Arnold press, pull ups, row in machine, dips and side lifts on day 1.
Inclining bench and side lifts on day 2.

Doesn't look all that balanced looking at it this way :P Maybe I'll move it around a bit.

I tend to hurt in my left front deltoid. I never go for broke in bench press though, so it shouldn't be a problem but who knows... It doesn't really hurt when doing exercises. It's more of a faint pain that's there all the time. I'm leaning towards a inflammation due to over exertion.
Yeah, look into rolling, it's pretty great. I'd massage the part that hurts, and also areas around the shoulder/scapula. Often the area that's actually tight doesn't hurt directly, but it forces other muscles to overcompensate, or pulls other muscles, and those are the ones that start hurting. Focus on any part that hurts when you roll on them, as those are the trouble spots. The first time will probably have a lot, especially around the scapula, but they'll start to go away after a couple of times. I usually find the most painful points and stay on them for 30 seconds. Don't go too hard on the shoulder socket though, as that could potentially pinch some nerves.

Google and youtube around a bit:
SMR Lacrosse Ball - Pec and Anterior Shoulder - YouTube
SMR Lacrosse Ball - Posterior Shoulder - YouTube

As for exercises, usually after pullups my rows suffer a lot, and vice versa, so I use them as alternating exercises. But if you're focusing on hypertrophy, you probably want to blast muscle groups, so I guess it makes sense.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #233 (permalink)

Indeed, hypertrophy is the goal

Thanks for the tip, I will try the ball mixed in with some new rotator cuff exercises while taking it just a tad easier the next week or two. Hopefully that will get things straightened out.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #234 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I don't own scales, but I did a bunch of eating and boozing over the holidays and not a lot of wearing pants. So when I had to go back to work yesterday and put pants back on, they were a bit tight.

So. 20 mins on the elliptical then 2 games of netball. All up just under 2 hours of cardio. I got some making up to do!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:43 PM   #235 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Tangentially related, and awesome. Short film about an introverted bodybuilder going on a date.

Last edited by DWarrior; 02-20-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #236 (permalink)

The movie Teddy Bear is based on that short film, though I haven't seen it yet. It's on Netflix instant.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #237 (permalink)

I managed to acquire a back injury :thumb: Going to see the doc on Monday to see how bad it is.

Not sure how I managed to do it because the past couple of weeks I've mostly been doing technique/balance work with fairly low weight. I don't think I've lifted more than 90kg in like 2 weeks.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:34 PM   #238 (permalink)

Rehabbed my back injury (~2 months), then got back to lifting after April 15th:

tempfoot likes this.