Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #21 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_web View Post
My stuff isn't very relevant to your original question, so I avoided posting it. But since you don't seem to be getting any meaningful answers, I think it might be of help.

I own a Lenovo laptop. This is the first customized computer I bought (When I used desktops, I'd just order parts and build them myself, and my first notebook I just bought straight up, it was a 8" Fujitsu convertible back in 05). I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but my biggest gripe was it took over a month or so to receive because they're slow to build (wasn't a fluke, they told me that after I ordered, and I didn't even think to look up beforehand as I was used to getting all computer stuff in under a week). Again, I don't know if this is standard for custom laptops of other companies, but you should ask Lenovo in case you want to get your computer faster than that.

I'll give you my laptop review: it's a ThinkPad that cost ~750 that I originally bought it back in 08 for XP/Linux support. This was between the time when Vista was the standard ship OS, but before it was standard to offer XP "upgrades" and I also wanted to dual-boot (before I learned about VirtualBox). I also happen to like the look of Lenovos, it's not all flashy and doesn't have ridiculous buttons to open up a browser etc, and it didn't come with any pre-installed bullshit, aside from their proprietary driver update utilities. My three problems are: took over a month to receive, about a year into it the side buttons for volume stopped working and it began to BSOD about once a week due to a memory fault. I've been too lazy to look into fixing the memory, and it could be from carrying it around with me around the house and in my backpack to school regularly.

I'm guessing the reason you're having a trouble getting an answer is because the computer-savvy people probably own laptops now, as they get access to desktops in school or at work. If they require desktops (which is usually either for gaming or for running servers) they either custom-build to their specs or, in case of gamers, go with alienware. Artfags are all in a cult, so they just go with Macs for laptop/desktop/dishwasher. And non computer-savvy people probably get the sleeker brands that market to consumers.

I think you'll only get Lenovo desktop reviews if somebody happens to work in IT for a business that has ordered desktops for their company and they were in charge of doing the ordering.

Anyway, I'd say Lenovo should be as good a company as any to order stuff from.

Last edited by DWarrior; 12-19-2010 at 08:17 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #22 (permalink)

best advice given so far D.

which thinkpad are you using?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchLives View Post
best advice given so far D.

which thinkpad are you using?
SL500. I remember it was the only linux compatible one.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #24 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

What's your budget
Are you looking to re-use a monitor
What are your intended uses: just browsing, gaming, coder etc...
Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
SL500. I remember it was the only linux compatible one.
i just popped open my thinkpad edge. looks like i can upgrade it quite a bit by myself.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchLives View Post
i just popped open my thinkpad edge. looks like i can upgrade it quite a bit by myself.
Yeah, laptops don't seem all that hard to upgrade, they're pretty much like compact desktops. I replaced a hard-drive for a friend before, and I had to open mine to clean some spilled water in the keys, and I tinkered with it a bit to make sure the other parts weren't affected.

I've been wanting to upgrade the video card, since I just got the cheapest one at the time I bough it, but it doesn't run games well because of no video memory. Money's tight atm though.

It's a bit less cross-compatible though than desktops. SL500 is stuck with 5400 rpm hard drives.

Last edited by DWarrior; 12-19-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ticklah View Post
What's your budget
Are you looking to re-use a monitor
What are your intended uses: just browsing, gaming, coder etc...
Again - specs aren't really what I'm thinking about - I know what I want. My interest is finding a company who puts out as few as possible boxes with hardware faults within a few years.

I must of asked this the wrong way or something.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #28 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Again - specs aren't really what I'm thinking about - I know what I want. My interest is finding a company who puts out as few as possible boxes with hardware faults within a few years.

Or I read what I wanted into it, then like I've said prior Lenovo makes quality systems just not the best bang for buck but personally I buy Dell and have been happy with them.

IMHO HP loads to much crap and Gateway uses substandard hardware
Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:

i think lenovo would be good fit for you.