Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #91 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbent View Post
are you saying youve never seen the end?
exactly. i knwo what happens, though, since i had a few anime friends who loved to spoil it.

the maggots thing drove me nuts the last time. not out of squeamishness, but because thats a personal nightmare of mine...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:48 AM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
The dub companies seem to use "voice artists" instead of actors, and they overplay the everliving shit out of it. And that's probably fine for kids' shows, where you have to play big and stupid to hold the kids' attention, but for non-kid stuff like Cowboy Bebop it fucks the characters into oblivion.

I don't speak a word of Japanese but from the few animes I've seen those saki drinking mofos play the characters' voices infinitely cooler. If I'd seen this scene below in dubs before I'd watched the show with the real Japanese voices I never would have watched the show. In fact I can't even watch this whole scene in dubs it's so abysmal. It sounds childish. It hurts me right in my soul. These guys look the same as Jet and Spike, but they're not Jet and Spike. They're ass.
Just like one bad actor can ruin a perfectly good story, one bad voice actor can ruin a perfectly good dub. Overall, Spike wasn't that bad, I've seen far worse, but I totally get that one. Sometimes, it's the translation that's totally off, which a lot of times is trying to make the mouths fit the words. Those often result in a very different story, which for fans of the manga, ruins it. Others, it's the voice that just doesn't fit (like throwing a far-too-young sounding voice in a teenager, or a far-too-gruff voice for a guy), or lack of enthusiasm, or practice, or even proper pronounciation. It actually grates my ears sometimes whe a "Sasuke" is pronounced "Sa-suu-ke". I try not to be elitest, but I can't help it sometimes.

Moral Number 4: The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Except in New Jersey, where what's blowing in the wind smells funny.

http://twitter.com/benjitathesane
http://www.facebook.com/benjitathesane
Old 02-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #93 (permalink)

Just watched the Live Action Movie of GANTZ.... sooo shitty. they anime/manga is amazing but this film sucks
Old 02-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #94 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjita View Post
Just like one bad actor can ruin a perfectly good story, one bad voice actor can ruin a perfectly good dub. Overall, Spike wasn't that bad, I've seen far worse, but I totally get that one.
I don't know how bad Spike's dub was compared to other dubs, I just know it was shithouse compared to the original actor who played him.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:06 AM   #95 (permalink)

and you know who wants to play him in the live action right?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #96 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbent View Post
and you know who wants to play him in the live action right?
Yes, and it makes me want to puke.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know how bad Spike's dub was compared to other dubs, I just know it was shithouse compared to the original actor who played him.
I saw the dub before the original, so I was used to it. If the sub was available when I first watched it, I'd probably have the same opinion. But sinced I watched it on Adult Swim, I was used to the robot from Toonami.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
the director of cowboy bebop is on record saying that the English voice cast is superior to the original Japanese cast.

The only problem I have with Dubs is when they give characters accents that they shouldn't have. Osaka from Azumanga Diaoh should not have a southern accent!

I will still stand by what I said, Most anime fans who like subtitles are just weeaboos who like to pretend that they are japanese.

I go to an anime club at my school and if somebody puts in a DVD and the English voice comes on EVERYONE IN THE ROOM YELLS AND SCREAMS AND BOOS!!

Its ridiculous

They are the same people who complain about the Evangelion Dub (which is perfect) that they change the term form children to child. In the subtitles it says that Shinji is the 3rd Children or that Auska is the 2nd Children, they don't get that

#1 That sounds retarded in english
#2 It means the same damn thing

Last edited by doctorsleep; 02-21-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #99 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post
the director of cowboy bebop is on record saying that the English voice cast is superior to the original Japanese cast.
I've heard that claim before, I think when I used to yap it up with Spooky about this same exact thing, but curiously nobody ever provides a link to the supposed interview in which he said that. I'd bet he was misquoted or misunderstood. Or one of the original actors had slept with is wife.

Even if it is true, plenty of directors say silly things about their own work. They're artists, and so prone to talking crap and saying crazy shit that doesn't really mean anything.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post
They are the same people who complain about the Evangelion Dub (which is perfect)
>laughinggirls.tiff