Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
agreed on the humour but thats a problem with anything asian, comedies included. they have a weird sense of funny that just doesnt hit home here.

as for the drawings, theres any kind of style in there but the mainstream stuff does look alike. they have the same issues superhero comics have. most of it is crap so the 2 good ones out of a million get ignored.

Yeah, it's cultural, for sure. Humor isn't as universal as we imagined. I dunno. Maybe this is what happens after you bomb a country.

Yeah, I have the same problem with superhero art too. What happened? Now everyone draws stiff and 'realistic'. I can't even flip through a superhero book anymore.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattaland View Post
Yeah, I have the same problem with superhero art too. What happened? Now everyone draws stiff and 'realistic'. I can't even flip through a superhero book anymore.
i think its the susual biz issues. the publishers cant afford unconventional stuff since comics are still a thing to mass produce with little money. so they get a million clone looking artists that all do the same thing sice Spawn and sell more.

the public is fucktarded. i heard, swear to god, a couple of comic book store OWNERS who had the balls to call Will Eisner's style "silly looking and dated".
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
the public is fucktarded. i heard, swear to god, a couple of comic book store OWNERS who had the balls to call Will Eisner's style "silly looking and dated".
wtf. i don't even read comics and i know that Spirit is stylish as hell.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

I totally agree with the Anime is its own medium and most of it sucks.

Ive gone on record about my hatred of weeaboos and cosplayers.

But to answer the OP

Durarara

its a GREAT anime with great characters and story, no fucking giant robots or magical girls in schoolgirl outfits. (it does have a headless girl and a cursed sword though) but it really is all about characters and how stories tie into each other.

I know I just said that Giant Robots are stupid but if you haven't seen it Evangelion is a must for all anime watchers, it gets a lot of hate but there's a reason that it is so well known.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #15 (permalink)

this isn't relevant to any of the discussion going on here but this is why i watch anime, you get to see stuff they wont show on movies or tv shows(skip to 0:45)
Old 02-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'd recommend watching:

Series:
Neon Genesis Evangelion, Full Metal Panic!, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Highschool of the Dead, Samurai Champloo, Slayers, Wolf's Rain, Rurouni Kenshin, Elfen Lied, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk...

Movies:
Grave of the Fireflies, My Neighbor Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Akira, Paprika, Summer Wars, Spirited Away, Perfect Blue, Ghost in the Shell, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time...
Old 02-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Personally I like action anime, and I will only read the modern style of superhero comic. I find the old-school art style completely unrelatable, to the point where I'd say a lot of what came out before all the fancy inking came along was UGLY. As an example, when I read, say, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, it's like I'm watching a movie. When I read Watchmen, it feels like I'm looking at drawings of dudes standing still.

There's something about the newer stuff/anime that conveys movement and momentum in a really exaggerated, childlike way that I can really relate to when wanting to read about superhumans beating the shit out of each other.

And yes, there's a difference in culture, that's because it's from a different country (golly!). USA USA USA?

Where Does Godzilla Poopcast :: Steam :: XBL: Space Indaver :: ** KATG Playmates **

Old 02-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
Personally I like action anime, and I will only read the modern style of superhero comic. I find the old-school art style completely unrelatable, to the point where I'd say a lot of what came out before all the fancy inking came along was UGLY. As an example, when I read, say, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, it's like I'm watching a movie. When I read Watchmen, it feels like I'm looking at drawings of dudes standing still.?
Movies are one thing, graphic arts are another. the intertwining just hurts both. each has to do different stuff.

when comic books try all to be "like movies" instead of trying to tell stories or evoke sytuff with the different abilities of the medium, all you get is a bunch of lookalike stuff on both ends that really is boring and mediocre.

thats why watchmen might work as an action movie only with strong modification. it wasnt supposed to be a movie. movies are movies, comic books are comic books. end of story.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

check out Crunchyroll - Watch Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, Anime Videos and Episodes Free Online, free streaming anime and kdrama... i'd give you my friend name their but looks like half of you are anime hating trolls lol

ive seen and liked most of the ones dark lobo mentioned, any miyazaki movie is aces10.
would highly recommend Summer Wars, a newer movie.

i dont read really read manga.

Last edited by hellbent; 02-15-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

I like most of the studio Ghibli productions that i have watched. Ponyo, My neighbour totoro and kiki's delivery service to name a few.
I like the surrealism/style of satoshi kon movies including perfect blue, paprika, millenium actress and tokyo godfathers, and the series he directed paranoia agent (only seen the first 4 or 5 episodes of that)

Recently i went looking for something new on the Crunchyroll website, i wanted something sci fi to watch and ended up with a short series called Time of Eve which i thoroughly enjoyed.

Full metal alchemist (both series), Nadesico martian succsessor, Deathnote. FLCL was very quirky but I kinda liked the fact that it made no sense.