Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Moving to the US

Hey peeps,

By the end of next year (late 2011), I'll be graduating University with a History degree. This is not my true calling, however. I'd like to attend an art college, but first I want to take a year off just to draw/improve my portfolio (I'm confident with my current artistic ability, but I can certainly improve so that the time I spend at an art college is put to good use).

I figure that, during this year off, it might be to my advantage to move to the US (specifically either California or New York) and see if I can get some work experience. I'm not banking on actually getting any arts-related work experience (again the emphasis is just on drawing and improving a portfolio) but it can't hurt to try, and I'd like to get out on my own, anyway.

Therefore, I'd need to get a work visa. I know there's a TN Visa where you can work in the US provided you've received a job offer (or internship), etc. However, my chances of getting a job offer are marginal considering my lack of experience (and especially considering the very contractual nature of a lot of jobs in the industry).

I've already spoken to McNally about this (thanks, by the way, dude) and so I've sent off some e-mails to the people at the border (both Canadian and American) but I just thought I'd ask the KATG forums.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't you read the news? We can't even get our own citizens jobs lately, myself included.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

Nice try! I've read the craigslist classifieds for NY and LA.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If you want to do art, I would look at NYC over California. The galleries and contacts are much more concentrated and the opportunities to do side work are probably going to be better too.

You might also consider looking into some of the artist communities in Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine. There are some little towns in New England with a few decent galleries that attract buyers from a fair distance around, it's also cheaper to live places like that than in New York.

What kind of art are you interested in?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well I actually know a person who owns an art college in Toronto so I'd be getting a reduced rate. Also, I believe that in general colleges are cheaper in Canada. At least, that's been my experience when looking up tuition at American schools v. Canadian (probably the government subsidies).

In terms of what art I'm interested in pursuing, my dream job would be writing/drawing my own graphic novels (I already have one in the works). I'm certainly more into the "cartoonish" side of things. Not so much painting/gallery (though painting is definitely a great skill to have). Once I have my art degree I'll probably look for storyboarding, design-type jobs.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think your options might be slightly more limited (I have a Canadian friend who already had to deal with this). TN visas are only for a limited range of professions and generally require a degree in that profession. The same goes for H-1 work visas. H-2 visas are open to temporary work where you can cite an inability of employers to hire enough domestic workers, something that's kind of hard to do without getting into specialty jobs.

The most surefire way to go is to either go for a normal visitor visa or use the visa waiver program. However, under this visa you would not be technically allowed to work, and only be guaranteed 90 days. You could still work in any job that would pay you under the table but I'm guessing that's not quite the kind of job experience you were looking for. At the end of your 90 days you could either apply for an extension if you used a visitor visa, or leave then apply for another entry if you used the visa waiver program (there's really no telling how this will turn out.)

If you want my advice I would only try to head to the states if you really just felt like living there for a while, regardless of whether you could find the work you wanted there or not. That's all that you can really be guaranteed. Otherwise you could head out to Toronto early and try to find work there.

If you really wanted to work on your art and beginning a portfolio, I would recommend you draw a few samples, and see if you can't find a wannabe comic-book writer to hire you to do the art for his comic. It's a lot easier to delude yourself that you're a decent writer than a decent artist, especially when it comes to comics, thus there is an abundance of people who think they could write for comics but don't do the visual art (you know, the part that requires tons more time and effort). If you check around enough (especially on the interwebs) and people like your samples, you could find some writer out their willing to pay you for doing the art for his script- either for his own portfolio or to self-publish. It probably won't be a huge amount of money or as rewarding as drawing out your own ideas, but it'll be doing what you wanted to practice.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey I'm from Ottawa hoping to get to Cali.

Yeah try at first FunBag Studios on York St, then they have tons of US sister studios and stuff.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2010, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
Hey I'm from Ottawa hoping to get to Cali.

Yeah try at first FunBag Studios on York St, then they have tons of US sister studios and stuff.

Good luck!
Hey Rhian. I don't know how you know about Funbag (unless you have an animation connection here in Ottawa?), but it closed a few years ago ('06-ish?). I know one of the former owners (went to school with his son) and my dad used to work there. Now my dad works for Mercury Filmworks. I was already "accepted" (so to speak, no "official offer") for an internship this past summer at Mercury but they don't pay for internships, so... :-S

I've already been thinking that I'll just do as faux pas suggests and move early to Toronto. There's a bunch of studios there and I won't have to worry about money (as I'll obviously to eligible to pick up a job).

Jeez, you'd think entering another country on a whim to work would be easier!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not American, nor Canadian, and I don't have any experience with this or know anyone with experience, but I love moving overseas prospects so here's a suggestion; go to Detroit.

Johnny Knoxville did a documentary on Detroit in collaboration with sneaker brand Palladium. It reveals that besides it being a city in ruins it's also a city full of ambitious young entrepreneurs and DIY-ers. Rent is cheap, people need work, so a lot of little startups like restaurants and bars are succesful there because there's a need and no competition of chain stores.

It seems like a pretty tight community, and one with an active art-scene at that. Just thought it would be an interesting option for your year of artistic development.

Again, just a suggestion, good luck!

documentary Detroit | Palladium Boots

Facebook | JustBryan.nl | Twitter
"Bryan is a legend!"- OCD-dude
Old 11-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbling Bryan View Post
I'm not American, nor Canadian, and I don't have any experience with this or know anyone with experience, but I love moving overseas prospects so here's a suggestion; go to Detroit.

Johnny Knoxville did a documentary on Detroit in collaboration with sneaker brand Palladium. It reveals that besides it being a city in ruins it's also a city full of ambitious young entrepreneurs and DIY-ers. Rent is cheap, people need work, so a lot of little startups like restaurants and bars are succesful there because there's a need and no competition of chain stores.

It seems like a pretty tight community, and one with an active art-scene at that. Just thought it would be an interesting option for your year of artistic development.

Again, just a suggestion, good luck!

documentary Detroit | Palladium Boots

Luckily you can pick up a nice house for $50, just keep your bullet proof vest with you