Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-08-2010, 04:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wow, Myq's interview was fine, but the couple after, good lord.

They wrote a relationship book, too.

They breast fed their son until he was 8. Taught him how to masturbate, bought him a hooker at 16. They schedule intercourse and don't allow spontaneous sex. They agreed when they got married to not ever depend on each other, they may leave if the other becomes sick or unattractive. They had a sex room, don't allow friends or family to enter the house, they are unwelcome. They told the kid he wasn't allowed to go to college, it was too far from the nest. When the kid turned like 16, they gave him a $3 million bill for his childhood. The kid feels like he deserves compensation for all the exploitation in terms of books and videos, they will allow him 2% of the earnings, but not until he turns 39.

Wow.

"family roundhouse masturbation"...

is this a skit?
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.

Last edited by spooky; 04-08-2010 at 04:41 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
is this a skit?
Yes it is Spooks. Marc has many fake interviews on WTF.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonix View Post
Yes it is Spooks. Marc has many fake interviews on WTF.
Figures. I recall again why I originally stopped listening. Early on, he had these weird character comedy skits, big turn off for me, as they feigned banter at politics. I imagine the hummingbird story was bullshit, too.

It briefly reminded me of the doco, "Capturing the Freidmans", when the former kid who was now grown up(and obviously was lying, at least to the extent he was molested), responded to a question about a game of leap frog. It was like his eyes lit up and began to run with it, rambling on about the dad and son playing leap frog, and every time landing their cocks in the asses of all the kids.

Anyway, when the kid opened his mouth, I immediately thought he was bullshitting in that same way.

The supposed psychologists using an illogical argument threw up a red flag, "it's very popular among academia". It adds up now, but I dismissed it when I first heard it as the wife just being a dim bulb follower of the husband.

Bah. Not my kind of entertainment. Marc Blair Witched me.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The character skits are hit or miss. He always put them in the 2nd half of the show, so after a while it was pretty clear to pick them out.

I'm not a fan of that type of comedy but Marc plays them off very well (he's an amazing "Straight guy"). Also Nick Kroll's Chupacabra had me laugh hysterically. And i've been seriously out of laughter lately.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
myq

Thanks for listening, anyone who did/does/will!

Quote:
Wow, Myq's interview was fine, but the couple after, good lord.
is this a skit?
Thanks Spooky!
Quote:
I recall again why I originally stopped listening.
Not my kind of entertainment. Marc Blair Witched me.
You sure you're not just mad because you didn't get it?
Did you not have a sense, while indignantly writing out all the beats of the joke, naming the ridiculous things that were going on that couldn't POSSIBLY be the thoughts and actions of real people (as well as potentially spoiling said jokes for future listeners), that that's what you were doing?
It seems like you're responding negatively to having just gotten Keyser Soze'd in the best possible way... we don't know each other well, but it seems like maybe you just like having things under control, and this just demonstrated in your face that that's not always the case. You didn't see it. But you do now. Enjoy, I say!

PS If you're actually serious when you say "I imagine the hummingbird story was bullshit" as well, I think that you've been DOUBLE-tricked.

Marc makes his living (and by his living, I mean his profession, but also the way he lives his life, literally his LIVING) by being a truth-teller. That's all he can do. And it's awesome.
That hummingbird story is true. And you know what? He wasn't lying to you in that later segment; he was being himself, a truthful responder to people playing characters. He has given you absolutely no reason to doubt that he is ever being genuine (even when introducing characters that are not being so, by making the actual truth patently obvious to nearly all reasonable people listening, through the sheer absurdity and impossibility of their statements).

Anyway, I think you should give him (and yourself) another chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
you know something Myq, you're a real stand-up guy.
I see what you did there!

I think you're a real forum-poster guy!

Thanks again everyone, especially Spooky. And everyone else (also especially).
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
The character skits are hit or miss. He always put them in the 2nd half of the show, so after a while it was pretty clear to pick them out.

I'm not a fan of that type of comedy but Marc plays them off very well (he's an amazing "Straight guy"). Also Nick Kroll's Chupacabra had me laugh hysterically. And i've been seriously out of laughter lately.
I love listening to the fakies because I know that there are people out there that are gullible enough to believe every word. It is all pretty good.

If you like Chupacabra, then listen to Comedy Death Ray. He is a super guest on that and I think he brings a better A-game in a semi-formal setting, not that his appearance on Marc's podcast was bad, it just wasn't his best. I'm always a fan of mock morning zoo bits. Maybe I'm semi retarded, haha.

Last edited by 12side; 04-08-2010 at 07:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Of all the times for my ipod to break...
Old 04-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myq View Post
Thanks again everyone, especially Spooky. And everyone else (also especially).

I like Marc Maron, I think he was one of the all time best guests KATG ever had. I also figured out as I was writing that post that it was a skit, and skits turn me off. Just not my thing.

I enjoyed being appalled after my initial attempt at open mindedness when the "guests" came on. Maron did exactly what he was looking to do with a listener.

But when I figured it out, the wind in his sails was gone for me, and as someone else pointed out, he does these skits all the time, meaning a regular listener won't get the rug pulled out from under them every episode.

I'm in no way crapping on him or his podcast, it's just not my thing. My apologies if the notion that it was a skit was a spoiler, the thought never crossed my mind.

You, Myq, were good as well, I wanted your segment to be much longer. I enjoyed hearing about childhoods, your intelligent puns and wordplay always make me giggle. I like seeing the connections you make with words, it is somehow satisfying as well as humorous, I wish the hacks at the post took notes on your comedy.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:49 AM   #19 (permalink)

The skit did got me. I was wtf'ing the whole thing. It only smelled fishy at the "everybody does it" argument and the "bad band warning". It did provoke a reaction. I'll relisten.
Myq's interview was not a lot of fun, it was fun but short, fun though, in a quickie style, as always.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
myq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leixes View Post
Myq's interview was fun but short, fun though, in a quickie style, as always.
That's me: fun but short.

(Should I say more here? To demonstrate my range as somewhat longer than short? Fun but medium-lengthed? Is it fun to point out that "medium-lengthed" is considerably longer than "long"? In fact, "short" itself is longer than "long." I think we've come up with a new tweet here, everyone! Length pays off!)

Quote:
I enjoyed being appalled after my initial attempt at open mindedness when the "guests" came on. Maron did exactly what he was looking to do with a listener.

But when I figured it out, the wind in his sails was gone for me, and as someone else pointed out, he does these skits all the time, meaning a regular listener won't get the rug pulled out from under them every episode.
The thing is, he actually does have real guests on as well. He's had multiple actual authors on, other artists, some non-artists, some conversations with his mom or dad or other folks, I don't remember them all, and these joke conversations don't happen all the time, and they're always set up the same as though it would be a regular interview, so I do think it's actually very effective at potentially getting even regular listeners who might have heard such things in the past.

I think the interviews always start out sounding like an interesting guest that Maron would have on, and then they could turn out to be exactly that, or gradually Blair Witch you, as you say, exactly as planned, so it's still possible to have the desired and intended enjoyment no matter what.

Quote:
You, Myq, were good as well, I wanted your segment to be much longer. I enjoyed hearing about childhoods, your intelligent puns and wordplay always make me giggle. I like seeing the connections you make with words, it is somehow satisfying as well as humorous, I wish the hacks at the post took notes on your comedy.
Hopefully these comments can complement the interview length-wise. We definitely did talk a bit longer than what aired, Marc brought up Myka (and said he liked her better than he liked me, which I said I knew... they are certainly more of kindred spirits, I think), I also discussed my marriage, which I felt gave us more of a connection, knowing that we were both divorced (though me only once, so he's ahead of me), so I was slightly surprised that part was absent, though we didn't delve into as much of it as could have been done anyway, so maybe another time.
Regardless, I'm glad the you enjoyed my childhood. (I'm glad SOMEONE enjoyed my childhood.)
And there you are, a joke with words to wrap it all up!
Thanks again!