Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I loved the series and I thought the movie was better than some people made it out to be. Sure, I would have gone with more of the script from the cartoon and Shyamalan sucks, but it was not the worst conversion ever.

It wasn't as bad as LotR and the Harry potter movies from the 3rd one on, where it seems like they got the fucking story from someone else who read the cliffnotes version while they were drunk. The casting change for Dumbledore was just the worst fucking decision. I know the first guy died, and he played the role perfectly, but the replacement just fucking sucked. He sucked as Gandalf, and he sucked as Dumbledore. They should have gotten an actor that could take his cues from the first two movies. And they needed a director that had at least read the books so they didn't leave out good stuff for made up bullshit scenes.

For LotR, I'd just want to go with an old fashioned stoning for everyone involved. Send them to the Middle East and accuse them all of adultery because they fucked the story so hard.

But for Airbender, not sure the movie is going to make enough money for the next two to get made. Do go see The Sorcerer's Apprentice, though.

(my mistake, different actor for Gandalf and replacement-Dumbledore. Hate them both then)

Last edited by Ansur; 07-22-2010 at 01:35 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
Say I want to get into a good anime series....

Where should I start? (Not Avatar)

I'm asking here cause I figure if you guys like avatar, you probably like some other animes as well.
Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are excellent, the latter having all it's episodes available for free on Hulu.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm asking here cause I figure if you guys like avatar, you probably like some other animes as well.
What "genre" do you think will appeal to you must to start off with? Straight-up action stuff or some of the more arty/thought-provoking shit?

Just as an aside: realitylapse.com is a cool site with a cheap subscription. And they host eeeeverything.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
It wasn't as bad as LotR and the Harry potter movies from the 3rd one on, where it seems like they got the fucking story from someone else who read the cliffnotes version while they were drunk. The casting change for Dumbledore was just the worst fucking decision. I know the first guy died, and he played the role perfectly, but the replacement just fucking sucked. He sucked as Gandalf, and he sucked as Dumbledore. They should have gotten an actor that could take his cues from the first two movies. And they needed a director that had at least read the books so they didn't leave out good stuff for made up bullshit scenes.

For LotR, I'd just want to go with an old fashioned stoning for everyone involved. Send them to the Middle East and accuse them all of adultery because they fucked the story so hard.
1) Are you talking about the Peter Jackson LOTR films? Ian McKellen never played Dumbledore, and he's an amazing Gandalf....are you mad?
2) I agree HP movies pretty much blow....but the LOTR were epic films..yeah they left out a lot of detail, but movies will always leave out details, you can't fit it all in a film and they're usually made for $$ not the fans.
3) How can you not like Lord of the Rings movies? You must be talking about some other film adaptation I don't know about.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evadwolrab View Post
What "genre" do you think will appeal to you must to start off with? Straight-up action stuff or some of the more arty/thought-provoking shit?

Just as an aside: realitylapse.com is a cool site with a cheap subscription. And they host eeeeverything.
Um...well the same sort of stuff I like in any regular series I watch.

I like "whaaaat" stuff...like mindbending, thought provoking, strange, things.
Sci-Fi is hit or miss for me, but when it's good I usually really like it
Action is okay, I'm not usually into action so much as I am adventure...the action in a show or film should come from some bigger "journey"/"mission" not just some guy kicks other people's ass a lot.
I like "deep" stuff...hard hitting emotional shit...tearjerks are cool.

Fantasy is hit or miss too..and it's what turned me off anime when I was younger...everything I saw was all (what to me seemed) retarded monster-attacking shits....pokemon (which I liked for the first two/three years), digimon, yugioh....dumb magic power-stuff like spirit guns and w/e the hell Dragon Ball Z was about....

I'm more open-minded though, but I'm just saying that turned me off as a kid.

I don't know if comedy is big in anime, but I definitely like comedy...especially black comedy, dry or witty humor.

I've seen a few anime movies that I've liked: Paprika, Spirited Away, The Grave of Fireflies....if that helps any.

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
Old 07-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #16 (permalink)

Oh fuck yes! I just finished season 2 and felt bad that I only had one left. Amazing show.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

Paranoia Agent is fucking insane. I mean, just look at the opening titles:

it's also by the guy who did Paprika

But yeah, I second Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champaloo. The Ghost and the Shell tv series is excellent too.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Um...well the same sort of stuff I like in any regular series I watch.

I like "whaaaat" stuff...like mindbending, thought provoking, strange, things.
Sci-Fi is hit or miss for me, but when it's good I usually really like it
Action is okay, I'm not usually into action so much as I am adventure...the action in a show or film should come from some bigger "journey"/"mission" not just some guy kicks other people's ass a lot.
I like "deep" stuff...hard hitting emotional shit...tearjerks are cool.

Fantasy is hit or miss too..and it's what turned me off anime when I was younger...everything I saw was all (what to me seemed) retarded monster-attacking shits....pokemon (which I liked for the first two/three years), digimon, yugioh....dumb magic power-stuff like spirit guns and w/e the hell Dragon Ball Z was about....

I'm more open-minded though, but I'm just saying that turned me off as a kid.

I don't know if comedy is big in anime, but I definitely like comedy...especially black comedy, dry or witty humor.

I've seen a few anime movies that I've liked: Paprika, Spirited Away, The Grave of Fireflies....if that helps any.
Like mind-bending and thought-provoking? Neon Genesis Evangelion, and then see the movie End of Evangelion. It starts out looking like a standard mech action show, but they quickly deconstruct all these characters and explore all their flaws and twisted natures.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Paranoia Agent is fucking insane. I mean, just look at the opening titles:

it's also by the guy who did Paprika

But yeah, I second Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champaloo. The Ghost and the Shell tv series is excellent too.
I think I saw some episodes of Paranoia Agent when it was on Adult Swim--that was pretty messed up. I need to find it and finish it at some point.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

I think I'll check out Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent.

Right now I'm in the middle of the first episode of Moyashimon.
I'm liking it so far, but have any of you guys seen this show? Was it good?

*Edit: finished the first episode of it, interesting premise so far...reminds me of the giant microbes that are so cool to own. lol.

Last edited by DudeEMETIB; 07-22-2010 at 03:04 PM.