Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

new book series

I need help finding a new book series to read/listen to. I enjoy LOTR, Twilight, and Harry Potter. Any ideas from anyone what else I might enjoy?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickensandwich View Post
I need help finding a new book series to read/listen to. I enjoy LOTR, Twilight, and Harry Potter. Any ideas from anyone what else I might enjoy?
Try the Charlaine Harris series that HBO is using for their latest and greatest (Sookie Stackhouse) if you enjoy a lighter read, try the Diana Gavaldon series if you are up for something a little better written and not as funny. If you are looking for a well written, little more complicated - but erotic series - try the Kushiel series. Very different reads - but I'm guessing you'd enjoy all of them when you're in the mood for each. Happy reading.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Wheel of Time obviously

You also might like the Laurell K Hamilton Anita Blake series, its not exactly high literature but vampires + sex + violence = fun reading.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

I really enjoyed the "Dresdern Files" series. Modern day wizard working as a consultant for the Chicago PD. Don't worry if you didn't like the TV show. As is almost always the case the books are much better.

Also the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow was a fun read. Demon hunters, necromancers and deals with the devil mixed with a lot of action and quite a bit of sensuality.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Really enjoyed the Wideacre Series by Phillipa Gregory if you're into historical fiction and bodice-ripping.

Also, Persepolis (it's only a 1 and 2 but brilliant all the same)

Stephen King's Dark Tower series are a hefty challenge, but are a great return to form for the author.

Seconded on the Sookie Stackhouse and Anita Blake series, I'm actually re-attempting to read Anita Blake this summer.

Happy reading!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyzik View Post
I really enjoyed the "Dresden Files" series. Modern day wizard working as a consultant for the Chicago PD. Don't worry if you didn't like the TV show. As is almost always the case the books are much better.
I was going to comment this as well! I finished 1-4, will get the rest down after I reread Harry Potter before the new movie release

Dresden Files is freaking awesome.
Old 06-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King is at the top of my list, also the Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weiss is very good, if you're into the wizards and elves type stuff.

I've read the Harry Potter series, and in spite of being 30 years old, I have to say I liked it very much, although I was expecting more from the ending.

$.02
Old 06-05-2009, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

I also recommend the Dark Tower series. Only half-way through so far, but it's very good.

I also recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy and the Joe Pitt Casebooks.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. (or even just the first one, Magician.)

The Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson. (or just the super amazing first one Neuromancer.)
Old 06-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyzik View Post
I really enjoyed the "Dresdern Files" series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vudell View Post
Dresden Files is freaking awesome.
3rd on this. I've only read 1 and 2 so far, but the Dresdin files are an easy read, and they don't take themselves too seriously, which I really enjoy in a fantasy novel.

I highly recommend the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, as well as anything else by fforde. Especially if you are a book/lit nerd.