Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
3rd on this. I've only read 1 and 2 so far, but the Dresdin files are an easy read, and they don't take themselves too seriously, which I really enjoy in a fantasy novel.

I highly recommend the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde, as well as anything else by fforde. Especially if you are a book/lit nerd.
The Thursday Next books are really really good - amazingly creative storywriting.

I think I got into Jasper Fforde because I heard him being compared to Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett - I love the Discworld series.

I'll check out the Dresden files - sounds interesting.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightJared View Post

I also recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy.
Second this. My favorite books ever.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' Rye View Post
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.
Ooooh, I forgot about that one - second! In addition, the author does take the time to email fans - not very common anymore.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickensandwich View Post
I need help finding a new book series to read/listen to. I enjoy LOTR, Twilight, and Harry Potter. Any ideas from anyone what else I might enjoy?
I *HIGHLY* recommend the "Sword of Truth" series by Terry Goodkind. The first book is "Wizards First Rule". It's a great series. I finished it about 6 months ago and can't stop raving about it. After Harry Potter, I was so lost as to what to read next. My husband read the series and recommended it to me. So glad he did.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin.

The Riftwar Saga by Raymond E. Feist. (or even just the first one, Magician.)

The Sprawl trilogy by William Gibson. (or just the super amazing first one Neuromancer.)

Im currently reading The Empire Trilogy, which is the next 3 books after the riftwar saga. its the same setting but from the other side of the war. Really a good read. might go for the next 3, Krondors Sons, soon as am about done with this series.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune

and then stop and never, EVER, read the other ones.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayroob View Post
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune

and then stop and never, EVER, read the other ones.
I was told to never read past Dune.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnightJared View Post
I also recommend the Dark Tower series. Only half-way through so far, but it's very good.

I also recommend the His Dark Materials trilogy and the Joe Pitt Casebooks.
I'm going to pay you to kindness that no one paid me, stop reading. You're just gonna be pissed off. Once a writer writes himself into the story, then goes on about how only a hack writer would do that, and still he publishes that book... I ... I just get pissed thinking of the time I wasted finishing that series.

And it has no ending. One day steve just said... I'm written enough, I'm bored and this series is crap, so I'm just gonna stop at the end of this paragraph.

A song of ice and fire by george RR martin of course is amazing.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I was told to never read past Dune.
Dune is easily one the greatest achievements in science fiction literature and if you like sci-fi lit you'll almost definitely like Dune.

Dune 2 and 3 are much more about state-craft, the intricacies and implications of governing, the intermingling of religion and state, etc..
If you're into politics, philosophy, and history these are really interesting books that ask good questions and make cutting observations. They extend on the narrative of Dune 1 by asking what happens when you become a people's God. Do your god like powers actually give you any more say over the course of your life? If you know that there is only one path that leads humanity back from the brink, do you have the right to hurtle them onto that path no matter the cost?

Dune 4 is really just a clumsy way to tie up loose ends, it's an ok narrative and he does some kind of fun stuff to let you know how things come together but really it's just letting you know if the sacrifices made in dune 3 were the right choice. When you reach the end you'll be glad it's done and just pretend that there were never any more books.

Dune 5 & 6 where written under the duress of his publisher, he owed them 2 more books and they demanded more dune novels so he churned out to nonsense stories that barely deserved the name.

There are also several books compiled/written by his son and a cowriter that are god damn awful.

(if you do end up reading the good books, pay attention to the sex, Herbert had some wild views on human sexuality)
Old 06-08-2009, 02:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Agreed on Hayroob about the Dune series.

I'd also add the Ender's Saga by Orson Scott Card. After the first book, the story goes in two directions - A more philosophical and slow paced one and a followup to the events directly after Ender's Game. If you don't like the slow ones, just stick to the Shadow books. I liked all of the books in the saga.