Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-02-2006, 12:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

new car decision time...

so i'm thinking of investing in a new car. i don't want anything too fancy. my main goal is in reliability and gas mileage (as i do a lot of driving). so i naturally thought about hybrids. but then i saw that cars such as the jetta tdi (diesel) are getting 45 - 55 miles per gallon.

it would seem that diesel might not be too bad of a deal in terms of maintenace as diesels will last forever. also if biodiesel starts to come around it would be easily convertable to that. even though, realistically, biodiesel may not be viable until after the lifetime of this car.

hybrids seem a bit new and uncertain in terms of maintenance cost and life expectancy.

what do you guys think? have any suggestions on a good reliable car that gets at least 35 miles/gallon?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I LUV my jetta tdi. I get about 38-40 mpg in the city, 50 mpg on highway. The acceleration is awsome. The handling is very satisfying. I took a narrow mountian pass at 80, slowing down to 60 mph or so for corners with no problems except for a white knuckled passenger.

I have had one recall to fix the heated seats (ahhh). Other than that, no problems in 3 years.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

first, a car is not an investment.

whats your budget? are you going to finance, if so, for one year or two, down payment? how long do you intend to have the car? how much do you drive on a weekly or monthly basis? what uses do you have in mind? kids? 2door or 4 door? do you want safety features like 4 wheel disc brakes, side air bags, stuff like that?

its been about a year and a half since i looked in on the hybrids, but the best one a couple years ago the average driver had to drive it 17 years to offset the added expense with savings in gas. im sure its gotten better, but be aware of why you are getting it, you might just be paying an extra grand or two just for principle.....not any kind of savings.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Spooky has apoint, new cars are not worth the money you pay,

UNLESS you keep it forever. If you like it and plan on keeping it for 10 years. How long did you keep you current one?
Buy new, and have the warranty up to date and buy the gap insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue eyes
I LUV my jetta tdi. I get about 38-40 mpg in the city, 50 mpg on highway. The acceleration is awsome. The handling is very satisfying. I took a narrow mountian pass at 80, slowing down to 60 mph or so for corners with no problems except for a white knuckled passenger.I have had one recall to fix the heated seats (ahhh). Other than that, no problems in 3 years.
The TDI are great, except they don't sell them in california, I dont know why.

Hot ass....
Old 06-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
...you might just be paying an extra grand or two just for principle.....not any kind of savings.
that was a fear of mine w/ the hybrids. will it last long enough to pay for itself. i don't really care about emissions.

budget: nothing over $300/month financed. my credit is good if not excellent so i'm looking at probably 9% intrest rate if not less.

down payment of at least $3k and possibly 2k on trade in.

i intend to have the car as long as it will last.

i drive in the range of 200 miles per week right now. :S

no kids

no preference on doors

the safer, the better.

blue eyes: what year is yours?
Old 06-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the big lebowski
budget: nothing over $300/month financed. my credit is good if not excellent so i'm looking at probably 9% intrest rate if not less.

thats not the way you should be looking at it. 300 bucks a month is not a price, its a payment. if you cant pay off a vehicle in about 2 years, you cant afford it. if you finance longer, at some point not too far in, youll be upside down even with full coverage, meaning if you total the car, with full coverage, they might come pick up whats left of it and hand you a bill for a couple thousand bucks. that happens ALOT to people that finance for 3 or more years.

so about 12 thousand dollars is your budget, it looks like. thats plenty for a really nice used car, i wouldnt buy a new one with so little, though.....

i will rummage around and see if i can muster an opinion on the matter... i had a toyota tacoma i drove for nearly 250 thousand miles without ever having anything but regular maintenence done on it, of course i always used a full synthetic oil every 5k miles, and used premium gas only. and i washed it, the undercarriage, the engine bay, the interior once a week. you can pay a little extra the whole way or get hit hard all at once with a repair bill and cheap replacement parts and possibly a poor mechanic working on it. ambers dad has it now, he had a valve job done to it....good little truck, still looks show room fresh, even under the hood.

just sayin...
Old 06-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jettas are nice. Hondas are nice too. My prelude that was nearly 20 years old was getting 40 MPG. They say the civics are about the same.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
i intend to have the car as long as it will last.
Do not go in with a fixed price for your payments. the aholes will fix any contract for most cars to fit that price. That is what they want to hear you say. "I only want 300 dollar payment" From then on they own you, you have given them something to force you into.

Get the best price FIRST
Get the invoice price of the car you want online, and offer $500 more. Nothing more.

They will show you their invoice and if you look at it carefully you will see stupid shit like 'white walls - out' $400, Stick to your invoice price.

Be prepared to leave. and if you feel things slipping away. Leave. Don't walk away and let them DRAG you back. if you say you are going to leave, DO IT.

What ever you offer for a down payment be prepared to be asked for another $1k, stick to you guns or start with 2k to begin with and then sheepishly agree to the extra thousand. If they take you car for what you are asking then do it, if not sell it on your own and i bet you will get $2500

When they agree to your price, then talk about financing. Have a rate from a credit union. (who are Usually the lowest). They will want to finance it and should offer to match the rate. Tell them you are leaving to go get the check from the credit union. They will give you the rate you want

What ever you do, and i know you will be tired after all this is READ THE CONTRACT THE GUY IN THE OFFICE IS SHOWING YOU

I say again READ THE F-ING CONTRACT

see if the intrest rate is correct, make sure it is for the correct amount of month agree upon, nothing extra is added to the price of the car. Buy only the GAP insurance. that should not make you go above your 300 payments.
Nothng more or less should be on this contract.

This is the one place you will lose the most amount of money, if you are not paying attention This guy can create any contract he wants.. Read it , ask question and re- read it.

Good luck, and God speed. post a picture of the new ride when you get it.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjita
Jettas are nice. Hondas are nice too. My prelude that was nearly 20 years old was getting 40 MPG. They say the civics are about the same.
My 01 jetta with a V6 is getting 25 mpg.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
blue eyes: what year is yours?
2004, 4-door. 4-cylinder. Winter package. handles awsome in the snow. No problems with the passes

BTW, quickie rant. Right now diesel costs (US) about the same as premium. It's much less refined. Why is the price so high? Why havn't the truckers screamed loudly?

Last edited by blue eyes; 06-02-2006 at 04:22 PM.