Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

New KATG Format: All anti-religion all the time?

I am finding it exhausting that Keith has turned the show into his bullhorn for voicing is hatred for religion, more specifically Christianity. It seems that at least half the discussions on the show are specifically targeting how people who are Christian are not good people and/or stupid. I appreciated Chemda's attempt to present an alternative opinion (from an atheist's viewpoint) than Keith's, but her opinion is always easily muted by Keith's rants.

My issue is that I believe Keith is basing his opinion on his understanding of Catholicism and not Christianity and the many various denominations of the faith who are accepting of gays, Muslims, etc. and base our beliefs on the direct teachings of Jesus. Keith has a very narrow cast image of the majority of Christians and is essentially incorrect in his understanding of our beliefs and the way we live.

I know that the audience of the show skews towards atheism, which is fine, but I am curious to know who else in the listening audience is starting to feel disenfranchised by being called stupid and evil on a regular basis.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Don't listen Tuesday.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #3 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, the show was much better when he was only making fun of Judaism. Those were the days.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't care if they make fun of any religion. I don't care if I am some how associated with the butt of a joke at times. KATG, and shows like it, are going to offend. And on a long enough time line, a group you are associated with will be the butt of the joke. The issue is that it has become ALL the time. Religion is discussed on every episode, and those who are religious are mocked on every show. It's tiring to me. My question is how large a segment of the audience feels the same way. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but how small a minority? Is this the content the majority wants going forward?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Old 10-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoFan_Mike View Post
Greg, the difficulty you face is that the 'majority' of Christians are not accepting of gays, are not accepting of Muslims (are not accepting of any religion that does not believe that belief in Jesus Christ is a persons only way to salvation), are not accepting of marriage equality, do not believe in global warming, do not believe in evolution, etc.

And; unfortunately, Christian leaders (and leaders in our government who are Christians) have proselytized such unbelievable nonsense that it is hard to look at the Christian faith without using the words “...stupid and evil on a regular basis...”

There are thousands more but here is a recent example:

Congressman calls evolution lie from 'pit of hell'

Congressman calls evolution lie from 'pit of hell' - Yahoo! News

This is (unfortunately) the majority of Christians in America. This is (unfortunately) what you get when you believe in 'Adam and Eve' not 'Adam and Steve'. This is (unfortunately) what you get when when Christians tell people that they are less of a person – or their lives are incomplete – unless they accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. This is (unfortunately) what you get when you take science out of the classroom and replace it with 'the earth is only 5000 years old' and evolution is “lies straight from the pit of hell meant to convince people that they do not need a savior.”

This is (unfortunately) what you have to deal with when you believe in ghosts.
I don't think it's 'Majority'. At least not on a world view, maybe in the Southern United States. I think it's more 'squeaky wheel gets the grease. And I admit that religious groups and some politicians are given religion a black eye by wasting time on pointless, even hateful issues. And even if it's an out right majority, my issue is that Keith states 'all' religious people are bad and/or evil. Which in the case of myself, and the hundreds of people of the two churches I have attended in my life, is not true.

Also, my issue is not who is right and who is wrong, and should time be given to point out a group's hypocrisy. My issue is, why so much? Why every episode? Is this what we should expect for the rest of this show's tenure? Has the format of the show permanently changed?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
Don't forget Scientology, Mormonism, Islam...

I feel like Keith has been pretty equally offensive, the spotlight is just on Christianity for while. I'm sure it'll swing another way in the future.
That's the basis of my concern. Will it? Moreover, will they get off religion entirely for a few weeks? Or even hours.....
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Cock Rings View Post
There's plenty of Christian podcasts out there. I'm sure they KATG won't miss you if it really bothers you that much.
That's a lazy and predictable response. I'm not interested in seeking out religious podcasts. Would you be satisfied if the show bashed religion as 100% of its content?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg In Oakland View Post
I don't think it's 'Majority'. At least not on a world view, maybe in the Southern United States.
Calling bullshit. We have a special brand of christian fundamentalism, but extremism is absolutely a national problem. Passin' the buck ain't gon' help your case.

Faith isn't intrinsically a bad thing, but it is absolutely being used to exploit the faithful and further agendas that have nothing to do with the spirit of Jesus Christ's teachings. It's about power. Religion has historically and notoriously been about power. Take Arizona's 'Women's Health and Safety Act' for example or the Missouri 'Right to Pray' Amendment or, yes, South Carolina's mandatory transvaginal probings.

It is absolutely crazy go nuts being done in your name. Y'all are responsible for calling out the dickholes who are going around waving their Bibles for ill. It isn't being done. Makes y'all look a little like douches. Don't like it? Fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Calling bullshit. We have a special brand of christian fundamentalism, but extremism is absolutely a national problem. Passin' the buck ain't gon' help your case.

Faith isn't intrinsically a bad thing, but it is absolutely being used to exploit the faithful and further agendas that have nothing to do with the spirit of Jesus Christ's teachings. It's about power. Religion has historically and notoriously been about power. Take Arizona's 'Women's Health and Safety Act' for example or the Missouri 'Right to Pray' Amendment or, yes, South Carolina's mandatory transvaginal probings.

It is absolutely crazy go nuts being done in your name. Y'all are responsible for calling out the dickholes who are going around waving their Bibles for ill. It isn't being done. Makes y'all look a little like douches. Don't like it? Fix it.
There's nothing in your post that I disagree with. But the point I'm trying to discuss on this forumn topic is whether or not the majority of the audience would be satisfied with a continous oversaturation of religious discussion on the show. Am I the only one bored by it? Granted, my boredom stems from being tired of being the subject of attack.