Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

New MP3 player. Suggestions?

*%%#!!!!!!

Ok, I've had a piece of shit Zune for not even 2 years now and it's on it's way out. It never worked to my satisfaction anyway, so I'm looking for suggestions on something new. Hopefully there are more than just iSheep floating around...
My requirements are:

-80GB minimum
-MUST have physical buttons. No touch screen. I need to control playback, seeking, volume, etc without looking.
-Standard headphone jack
-Not made by Microsoft or Apple
-Podcast support
-Auto playlist creation. I loved this about Zune and would have a hard time without it.

"Smart DJ" or "Genius" type playlist creation would be nice. Doesn't have to be done on the player.
I'd prefer standard USB connections and absolutely no DRM/restrictions. I want to plug it into any of my computers and be able to erase, sync, download, etc. It's my shit and I don't need some company telling me how to use it.

Wireless never worked on the Zune so I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. I don't play many videos or look at pictures, but it would be nice. Don't care about games. Apparently some have GPS? I don't get it, but don't care about that either, or a camera.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

iSheep asks, care to explain your issue with Apple?

I own an iPod Classic and an iPhone and use both primarily for music and they've both been amazing, never having a problem with either!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonix View Post
iSheep asks, care to explain your issue with Apple?

I own an iPod Classic and an iPhone and use both primarily for music and they've both been amazing, never having a problem with either!
For one, Apple doesn't make anything that meets my requirements.

The vast majority of people that I've dealt with who own iPods fell into two groups.
1. Like many, they own other Apple products so they have to keep buying them, and saying they like them to justify it.
2. They thought Apple invented MP3 players and were the only ones that made them, the software to get music and podcasts, and any other music playing device was also called "one of those iPod things".

I've been listening to MP3's since about 1999/2000 and downloading music since before Napster. I've used iRiver's, Toshiba's, iPod's, Creative's, a couple I'm probably forgetting, and now Zune.

Everyone loved the Gigabeat even though it was terrible and unusable, iPod holds your hand and iTunes will never be on my computer again. Also every Apple product is designed to screw their customers and then get them to say "thank you". Zune would have been nice if it actually worked right, like many Microsoft inventions, and though I loved my iRiver's, they seem to have dropped off the planet.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsMyUserName View Post
Other than "not made by Apple or Microsoft"

and iPod seems to fit your requirements perfectly. You even said a "genius" playlist feature would be nice...if I were you, I'd find a used iPod classic, anywhere from 80gb to 160gb. However, if you're going to get a 160gb, make sure it's of the newest models, the original models were fucked up, apparently.

I can understand why you seem to dislike Apple, I too am not a fan of the company or most of their products...but if cost weren't an issue, I would never choose any mp3 player over an iPod classic, the iPod itself is easy to use and scroll through and often iPods have the largest available hd space. Currently their largest is 160gb, and I don't know of any competitors that can match that or pass it (but I might just be oblivious to something) while also giving a nice sleek design and look and ui.

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
Old 08-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
what? the iPod Video and iPod Classic meet all of your requirements except for the one about being made by Apple. every iPod hater eventually comes around and regrets not doing it sooner. there's a reason why they're the best selling DAPs of all time. drop the zero and get with the hero, grumpybutt.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I WILL NOT BUY AN APPLE PRODUCT. Any company who's CEO tells people it's their fault or "too bad" if they bought an inferior/defective device, isn't getting a cent from me.

I will also not buy another Microsoft product, or Sony product. These companies either scam their customers or don't support their devices, or both. Please stop telling me I'm going to like something that I've already used and hated. If you've only owned an iPod, and I've said I've used them and hate them, why are people defending it instead of wondering what they're missing? Apple really has people by the balls. It's amazing.

And it definitely doesn't meet my requirements. Try to navigate your music collection without looking at the screen at all. Then plug it into another computer without iTunes and access YOUR music/movies/pictures without hassle.

I once had my computer with the Zune software crash, so I connected the drive to another computer, reinstalled and.... had to erase everything on the Zune and spend 6 hours resyncing. Is that user friendly? I will not be purchasing any device that is locked down in any way to anything. I'm 100% done with any kind of restrictions or DRM on something I've spent money on. I will not pay to be annoyed.

Any suggestions from those who haven't sold their souls?
Old 08-24-2010, 11:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

On another note, the only time this thing has made me smile in months.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20100825_000401.jpg (531.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 08-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I WILL NOT BUY AN APPLE PRODUCT. Any company who's CEO tells people it's their fault or "too bad" if they bought an inferior/defective device, isn't getting a cent from me.
Well as long as the CEO of the company is helping fund some evil deed, like a pro-AIDS campaign, I don't care what kind of a douche he is, if he sells a product I like, I'm buying. I guess we differ here.

Quote:
I will also not buy another Microsoft product, or Sony product. These companies either scam their customers or don't support their devices, or both.
More like, they sell shitty products at cheaper prices because they know a lot of people would like to pay less than crazy apple prices for an mp3 player. And Sony has name-recognition they can use to their advantage.

Quote:
Please stop telling me I'm going to like something that I've already used and hated. If you've only owned an iPod, and I've said I've used them and hate them, why are people defending it instead of wondering what they're missing? Apple really has people by the balls. It's amazing.
At least in this thread, you never mentioned that you've used an iPod, only that you didn't want Apple or Microsoft...and I don't think it's that crazy for someone to try to tell you, you might like something that you haven't given a good reason for hating...but had you told us you've used and iPod and don't want another...then that might have stopped us from trying to reassure you an iPod is something you'd like.

Quote:
And it definitely doesn't meet my requirements. Try to navigate your music collection without looking at the screen at all. Then plug it into another computer without iTunes and access YOUR music/movies/pictures without hassle.
Wtf? Without looking at your screen at all....how would you even do that, unless your collection is very small, or you just know the exact number of artists and albums and songs and the exact order they're in, to know how many times to hit "next"...that requirement makes no sense.

I use MediaMonkey, not iTunes. Works fine. Do the same with other computers, I'm pretty sure you can also use Winamp or most other media players, and unless you're trying to play an iTunes bought song, which you wouldn't have...you should never encounter a problem with playing your iPod on other computers, not using iTunes there either.

--I won't defend Zunes, while they're not "god awful" I've never found worthwhile.

Quote:
Any suggestions from those who haven't sold their souls?
You know, the only thing worse than an Apple fanboy, is someone who hates Apple just for the sake of hating Apple.

I'd like to help you, but the only mp3 player I know of that's worth a shit and has a really large capacity, is the iPod.

There's some mp3/video/photo player thing by a company called Wolverine that I know comes in 80, 120 (or 160??), and 250 GB....but they're ugly looking and I don't really know how well they function. That's about all I can tell ya.

Stop hating bro, we're just trying to help.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

I did mention I've used iPods before. Between my last one and my Zune I actually borrowed one and gave it back in less than two days. I opted to carry around my laptop and plug headphones into it, rather than use the iPod. That's how much I hated it. My Gigabeat lasted about that long as well.

Maybe I'm just pickier than most, but either I love or hate something. Unlike the people that blindly hate Apple, I try to actually use their stuff when I can. I've absolutely hated everything I've touched. During the last round, I had my choices narrowed down to Zune, iPod Classic, and I think an older Cowan? I do consider the options.

I have a rather meticulous playlist/auto playlist setup and can find pretty much anything without looking at the screen. I work with it clipped to me a lot, and drive, so I really can't deal with that click wheel.

I appreciate help, I was just hoping for more than just "buy an iPod because I have one" type things. I got that elsewhere and it's really frustrating.
--------------------

These Wolverine things are nuts! I never heard of them. Plug them into your camera and they read RAW files??

250 GB Capacity / Audio - Video - Photo / Built-in 7-in-1 Card Reader / 3.6" TFT LCD with adjustable backlight / FM Radio with 18 presets
# Download images directly from any Digital Camera without a computer
# Supported photo formats: JPEG, Bitmap, Tiff, Text and RAW images (most popular SLR Cameras)
# Supported Music formats: MP3, WMA, OGG, WAV, AAC (MP4-audio) and CDA
# Supported video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-4, WMV9 and Xvid
# Easy, Drag and drop music files from your computer and play them instantly
# Built-in FM Radio: Listen and Record your favorite talk shows or music from any FM Radio Station / Scan and preset up to 18 different Radio Stations
# Use as a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) to record directly from TV, DVD, VCR or Camcorder using an Optional Cradle System
# Display: 3.6" wide view angle 320x240 Pixels TFT LCD with adjustable backlight
# Built-in Memory Card Slots: Compact Flash (CF) / MicroDrive, Secure Digital (SD & SDHC) / MMC, Memory Stick (MS) / Memory Stick Pro (MS-Pro) and XD Card Adapter
# With the included Video/Audio cable connect the ESP directly to any TV or Projector
# Audio Interface: Earphone (included) or third party Headphones with standard 1/8" connector
# Built-in Microphone for direct digital audio recording
# Audio Line-in recording from any AUX source
# Built-in Speaker: 8 Ohms, 400mW
# Computer Interface: High-Speed USB 2.0
# Operating Systems: Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 SP3 or above, XP Home or Professional, Vista, Macintosh OS 9.x, OS 10.0.1 or higher
# Dimensions: Width 5.3" x Height 2.8" x Depth 0.9"
# Weight: 10.2 ounces with battery
Old 08-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Shit, you did mention you used an iPod, and I didn't notice. I apologize there.

Quote:
I have a rather meticulous playlist/auto playlist setup and can find pretty much anything without looking at the screen. I work with it clipped to me a lot, and drive, so I really can't deal with that click wheel.
I need to look at my screen, I'm never sure what to listen to, and rather than put random and hit "next" all the time, I like being able to quickly scroll down my artists and go "oh yeah ___, that'd be great" But I guess if you have some cool set up where you rather not look at the screen then that's cool.

Quote:
These Wolverine things are nuts! I never heard of them. Plug them into your camera and they read RAW files??
Yeah, if they actually work well, they'd be pretty awesome. But I know nothing about how reliable, durable, or easy-to-use they are...never heard of the company that makes them...so it's all just a bunch of uncertainty behind a product that might be amazing. Too much money for me to take the risk.

And I only really push the iPod and support it because of the space it has, and I like its user-interface. I've always had problems with my iPods working only as long as the warranty lasts, or just hiccuping all the time. But it's the "most reliable" mp3 player I've ever used or known that holds a shit ton of music. Oh, and while it might be a reason why they don't last very long with me, my iPods go through hell before they stop working...they're tough little soldiers...sorta, sometimes. lol

I'd rather have a Zen, but they don't make 160GB Zens yet.

If you ever take a shot at the Wolverine, let me know, cause I've been curious about those for a while.