Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

One of my favorite horror movies (Possession 1981) finally getting a blu-ray release

I love this movie so much! Has anyone else here seen it? Most of the movie is available on youtube but I have no idea what cut of the movie it is. It was banned for a long time and apparently it was edited to pieces when it got an American release.

Infamous 'Possession' Gets Uncut UK Release On Blu-ray -
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

man, you have great taste. possession is a gem. saw it long ago and i might actually give this bluray a chance.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #3 (permalink)

What are some of you guys other favs? (I guess this is the trend, haha)

I've gotten really into the genre as of the last half a year or so. Literally only saw Halloween as of a few months ago, so everything is new and wonderful. Martyrs & Inside are my favorite movies right now. I'd put House of 1,000 Corpses in the 3rd spot.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
man, you have great taste. possession is a gem. saw it long ago and i might actually give this bluray a chance.
Haha thanks man! I usually hate paying full price for a new release of anything, but in this case I think it will be worth it to see the director's cut and listen to the commentary tracks to find out what in the hell they were thinking when they made that movie.

@Earl Since I've been listening to podcasts and stuff I've found a lot of really awesome older horror movies that I really love. Some of my other new favorites are:

Onibaba- This one is really amazing, easily top 10.
Suspiria- amazing soundtrack and visual style, another top 10.
Jigoku- one of the best depictions of hell ever put on film.
Hausu
City of the Living Dead
The Beyond
Nightmare City- really fun and ridiculous
Halloween 4- IMO one of the best slashers ever made, and the best Halloween film
Kuroneko
The Descent
Dog Soldiers
Videodrome
The Brood
Holy Mountain (Exploitation)
The Devil's Backbone

A lot of people seem to complain that there aren't good new horror movies but I think there have been quite a few in recent years (and you can probably find most of them all pretty cheap on amazon or wherever):

Troll Hunter
Stake Land
The Divide
Attack the Block
The Last Circus
Bedeviled
Valhalla Rising- (borderline horror)
Insidious
Hobo with a Shotgun
ParaNorman
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil
Maniac-remake
Evil Dead-remake
The Sightseers
Trick'r Treat
Cabin in the Woods
Prometheus (I still think this is a really fun monster/alien movie, despite a few really annoying plot holes)
Let the Right One In

and plus I'm sure there are several others I'm forgetting...

Last edited by XrabbitX; 05-30-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Whoo! I had Netflix DVDs for a while. I got in at least four movies a week, but now I'm moving around too much. Once I get good and settled for more than a month, I'll be back on track.

You're right about the "new horror movie" stigma. I don't get to see too much new stuff myself, but I enjoyed Lords of Salem, for example. That one didn't get too much praise, especially with Sheri Moon as the lead. The only original-remake pair I've seen is I Spit on Your Grave, and that one was good, too.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can find a lot of the older horror classics on youtube (unless they're a criterion movie). The picture quality isn't quite as good, but you can't really beat free. I have to go to the library to watch them b/c my internet is too slow unfortunately >_<

This has some annoying Italian subtitles but the movie is still amazing. There might be a version on youtube without them, but you get the idea.

Suspiria 1977 Completo Legendado - YouTube

I think people complain about new horror movies partially b/c it's almost impossible to scare or excite someone as much as when they were a kid watching horror movies. If there is any real gripe I have about modern horror it's that there is too much CG, but I think people who understand those movies are moving away from CG as much as possible.

I've been hearing mixed things about Lords of Salem, but I'm still really excited about seeing it. I don't think Sheri Moon is great, but I definitely don't think she is nearly as bad as people make her out to be.

My friends and I have been really pumped up about seeing The Purge next week. Have you seen the trailers for that?
Old 05-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've seen Suspiria, actually. It was good. From what I understand, Lords of Salem is Rob Zombie's "tribute" to crazy Italian movies like that one, and I could tell even while watching it. CG is definitely not my bag, but it's never ruined a movie for me. Jennifer's Body is one of those newer ones that I really like that most people don't. The brief CG in that was was almost too much (the black puddle thing, I think it was in Jennifer's Body).

And WTF the Purge looks crazy. Insane ideas like that really get me. LOS was the first movie I've seen in theaters since Avatar and Avatar was the first in a few years. I might actually see the Purge the day it comes out, haha.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

hmm, i saw lord of salem and if he wastrying to homage italian horror, he messed up.

the closest thign i saw to the actual style of italian giallo/horror from the 70's (the best era of horror for our country , honestly) is the sapnish movie "Amer". good one fi you like thatlook.

ill post more as soon as i have time to write down the good stuff., nice thread!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

I actually enjoyed Jennifer's Body. I think it got a lot of hate just b/c of Megan Fox.

I'd been hearing Lords of Salem was supposedly like Alejandro Jodorowsky meets Dario Argento. The shots in the trailer of Sherr Moon in the Church do remind me a lot of the look of Argento's "Opera." I don't mind watching a movie that is just balls out stream-of-consciousness imagery so I have a feeling I'll enjoy LOS even if it isn't amazing.

I'll check out Amer if I get the chance, it sounds interesting. I have mixed feelings about giallos. I really like "Opera," but the other ones I've seen didn't do a lot for me one way or another. I guess technically Suspira is a giallo, but even though it has all the elements it doesn't feel anything like one tonally. Have you seen one called "The House with Laughing Windows?" I hear that is a good one, but I haven't got to watch it yet.

Last edited by XrabbitX; 06-01-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Going to watch The Purge tonight finally so I'm looking forward to seeing how that one turns out...

I just caught the trailer for VHS 2 and it looks pretty badass!

VHS 2 Red Band Trailer (2013) - YouTube

Has anyone seen this one yet? I guess it costs $10 to rent on itunes right now so I'm going to have to wait a while to watch it.