Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree3Likes

Old 07-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Podcast oversaturation?

I remember hearing some talk about podcasts reaching an over-saturation point in the near future, and I'm not sure if I can see that happening in the next 5-10 years.

I think the main thing is 99.9% of podcasters aren't trying to make a living off of their shows so there is absolutely no burden for them to be financially successful. The production of new shows doesn't depend on ratings so if someone is perfectly happy doing a show for 20-100 people a week, then that is what they will do.

If there was some kind of finite listenership that people were fighting over to make a living than I think you might see a big implosion of podcasting, but I just don't think I can see that happening.

One of the weird things about the internet is that for a lot of people it becomes kind of a sounding board that nobody cares about. I can't even begin to imagine how many people have online blogs that no one reads or creative projects of any sort that nobody cares about, but that doesn't stop them from creating, b/c these people want a creative outlet and the internet provides them with one.

Plus I think one of the major things is that most people still don't know what a podcast is and if they do they just don't care. I've tried recommending shows to a couple of my friends and they have no interest whatsoever, and I think it's mostly b/c it's a format they aren't used to. I think once people are introduced to the format and realize how much infinitely better it is than radio then they will shift over, but I would guess it will be 5-10 years before podcasting reaches it's full potential market.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I didn't read every word of your rant, but...

Podcasts are absolutely oversaturated. It's no coincidence that 1 out of 200 podcasts don't make it past 10 episodes.

I equate it to small businesses since I own one. It takes a lot of work, money, talent, marketing, and quite frankly, luck.
Sparrow likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Was I ranting?

But I'd really disagree. Podcasts take time, money, and effort. But one thing they do not require is talent. The main thing they really need is dedication.

It doesn't take any marketing b/c they don't need to make money. They're a hobby for 99% of podcasters.

Over-saturation means there isn't enough money to support something. The fact is that since most podcasts are a hobby they don't either need to make money or have to meet a certain number of listeners to survive. If a person wants to make a podcast for 10+ years and nobody downloads it then there is nothing to really stop them.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrabbitX View Post
Was I ranting?
Yes.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I guess if trying to start a conversation is ranting...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I guess if trying to start a conversation is ranting...
Abusive rants like your original post are designed to inflame passions and cause unrest.

Maybe if you tone down the rhetoric, and dial back the racist and sexist undertones, you'll have more success.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I sowwy!
Old 07-22-2013, 10:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I sowwy!
What the fuck is that supposed to mean?????
Old 07-23-2013, 02:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

They're oversaturated from a fan point-of-view in that there are too many good ones to keep up with all of them, but that's no different from TV, movies, books, music, sports and strip clubs.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I wonder if Jeff has a podcast about how to do podcasts...

I bet he could provide some valuable insights into the world of compressors, and which shops are used by people who know shit.