Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: Should pot be legal in the US?
Yes, but only for medical use. 12 5.97%
Yes, prohibition is silly. 173 86.07%
No, it should remain illegal. 9 4.48%
What? I was too high to watch the video, man. 7 3.48%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

could be mixing up correlation/causation, but yes, I think pot should be illegal because I've been around potheads. They are subhuman waste.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayroob View Post
Legalize it and let the states tax the bejesus out of it. Puts criminals out of business, gets lots of people who shouldn't be in prison anyway out (thus saving more money) and creates a butt load of much needed tax revenue without imposing a direct tax. Sounds like a winner to me.
what he said... I wonder how many people are in jail b/c of pot related incidents?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznice View Post
what he said... I wonder how many people are in jail b/c of pot related incidents?
I can't find the source link right now, but I believe about 30,000 state inmates and 60,000 federal inmates are comprised of prisoners based on marijuana incidents, which is around 12% for each on total prisoner population; a staggering number. I'll return with credible links later.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
I personally can't stand being around potheads. I don't have any problem if it's legal, so long as there are still people that I can hang out with who don't make it their whole world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
could be mixing up correlation/causation, but yes, I think pot should be illegal because I've been around potheads. They are subhuman waste.
You two sound like a blast to party with.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Can one of you "tax the hell out out it" commentators please explain why that's your reaction? How about we just leave the government out of it entirely? Grow whatever you want in your backyard.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

I don't smoke pot but I don't see the point in it being illegal. Let the kids have their weed, they're not hurtin anybody.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

i think weed should be decriminali.ed, regulated and taxed. i would love to beable to grow it legally.
i'm happy that more states have legali.ed medical use. unfortunately people are coming up with bullshit illnesses, and those that opposse it are exploiting the nonsense illnesses.
cali has to due this the right way, because it will pave the way for national decriminali.tion.

the movie "GRASS" is a great documantary about the history of weed in this country. everyone fore or against should check it out.

puff tough.....
Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
Can one of you "tax the hell out out it" commentators please explain why that's your reaction? How about we just leave the government out of it entirely? Grow whatever you want in your backyard.
We tax beer, we tax cigarettes. It is a logical extension to tax marijuana.

I guess you might say that we shouldn't tax beer or cigarettes, but since that will never happen I'm not really taking that as a real option.

Almost every state is in desperate need of added tax revenue, but taxing people's income when things are this bad is a hard sell and a bad idea, but taxing a substance that people enjoy but definitely don't need (with some medical exceptions, I suppose) sits well with most people as a way to raise the revenue the states need to function.

EDIT: and to be fair, the tax would really only end up levied against people who buy their pot at a store. It's fairly unlikely the government would ever know or care that you grow your own weed in your backyard or even grow for you and some friends.

Last edited by hayroob; 02-25-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Agenices receive a ton of funding in order to combat and prosecute growing/dealing/trafficking and it filters down to the criminal justice aspect that benefit from the conviction and imprisoning of such "offenders." If everyone were suddenly free to grow without intervention, there would be a huge loss to the enforcement and prosecution side.

The argument I find that most people produce as far as taxing it goes is that it is such a huge cash crop and so many users, that if it were to suddenly become legalized and taxed, the government (and the economy) would benefit from it. There are arguments that it would reduce use since illegal things tend to produce greater number of users (this can be debatable; look at alcohol and prescription drug use), lowered price of marijuana (during Prohibition, alcohol was 10x the price when illegal), drug wars would diminish, lowered taxes on other aspects of our life, etc. First off, legalizing it would reduce the amount spent on policing and prosecuting it (we spend upwards of $10 billion on it), then if it was taxed at a rate similar to cigarettes or alcohol, almost that same amount would come in; a logical economic move.

Additionally, I think it might be wiser to tax it based on weight than a simple sales tax. I know California had or is considering legalizing it for growers to have a 25 sq. ft. growing area, which is actually not a lot but it still resonates. Eventually, those growers will have sold out of their produce and will have to purchase from other growers, the tax aspect always playing a role.

Moreso, there is considerable job growth here: growers, paraphernalia manufacturers, etc.

Also, think of all the organizations that will spring up wanting to "help" marijuana smokers. We have numerous for alcohol abusers and aside from the studies done to show that marijuana abuse is not as commonplace, it won't remove the opportunity for others to benefit from the theory.

I used to smoke off-and-on but no longer (just wasn't my thing; I felt unmotivated and unproductive) but I see the logic in the legalization and taxation of it.

And yes, you are right, people should be free to put anything they desire into their own bodies but unfortunately, we have a government in place who thinks otherwise.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
You want the government to legalize somthing and expect them not to make money on it? Do you live on this planet? Frankly, even if it was taxed an insane ammount, it would probably cost about what it does on the street now anyway. I'm cool with it being taxed, it's a win win.