Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

PRIDE

Know how to make something great? Take pride in it.

I'm sick to death of this shift in our thinking (our: statewide, nationwide, globally, here at KATG) that different from me = inherently wrong. We live in a post 9/11 world that spends stupid amounts of time and energy being offended by, mistrusting of, and defensive with the unfamiliar. We are becoming afraid, paranoid, and single minded. Especially here, cultural context is rarely a thought before we bust out with disparaging cynicism. Identifying problems does not make you one iota more intelligent or your way of thinking more valid. KATG is a global community and we are being awful examples of the assholery with which we now treat each other.

I'm opening the door to respectful curiosity. Leave your digs at the door and come with an intent to learn about who laughs with you here.

I'm Southern. I believe there to be enormous amounts of good happening here in the now that people absolutely refuse to see because it's less in line with the near blackface levels of absurdity some folks like to paint us with. It's frustrating. I spent my summer working on a production that was directed, produced, musically directed, lit, and performed (in part) by lesbians. 2,000 people came to see it. We only received one piece of hate mail and at most a ripple of negative action against our performers. Three of our actors are openly gay middle/high school youth who aren't afraid of going to those schools despite a still somewhat hostile conservative environment. I'd say that's a win for my community. I'm proud of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Well said darling!

Well, since there is some flag waving going on, I live in a country that many consider just another state and that couldn't be a more inaccurate description of Canada. We are fundamentally different from America in how we operate. I am proud to be so different but still "get" the American way of life and realize it could never be for me. I love where I live and am protective of my community, flaws and all. I get my back up when people criticize our politics, policies and priorities and tend to defend most Canadians like a member of my family.

What I have learned since coming into the KATG forums is that anonymity (ie: douchebag behind a computer screen, myself included) creates assholery and you can't chalk that up to any one nationality, just the nature of the beast. For the majority here though people are far more accepting, intelligent and open minded then most online communities. I like it here, feel welcome here and will come back as long as that is the status quo.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Where in Canada do you live? What makes it a unique place? Who are your people?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I live in a small anglophone community in Montreal. As an anglophone I am a minority in a province that is a minority in Canada, Quebec is the only French province. In many parts of Quebec people don't speak any English. I, on the other hand, barely speak French. I understand the majority of it but it is a DAMN hard language to master.

Canadians are incredibly proud and, in some cases....end up being kind of smug about it. Like a quiet "we're better then you" attitude that we keep to ourselves. We just know it even if it might not be true....might? hahaah

That whole Canadians are so nice thing is a real thing. Politeness is a lifestyle here. You can talk to almost anyone here and get a smile and a conversation. There are exceptions to rules of course.

So what about you and others?? What is your story?
Old 07-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Can't wait for McNally to troll the shit out of this thread and have sparrow bitch slap his ass
Old 07-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
Can't wait for McNally to troll the shit out of this thread and have sparrow bitch slap his ass
I somehow doubt it will happen. Probably end up falling off the first page before anyone notices again.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

meh. mcnally and i are friends despite our differing views on nationalism and picard is probably right. i am just genuinely interested at the present about where everybody is coming from. figure a little context may help all our assholes unpucker.

(edit: though, I can see how monitoring a thread tick between 596 and 598 is less waste of your time)

(edit: 594. thrilling)

Last edited by Sparrow; 07-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I can give you quite a bit of context into my family history - my parents did quite a bit of geneology research and there are some cool stories to tell but that is not what defines me or makes me proud.

I am quite fond of claiming that I am a 'Rheinländer' (as in from the lower/middle area around the river Rhine ) but my mother is not from that part of Germany so at least half my family tradition is not influenced by this. Plus I haven't lived there since 1997 and was educated in foreign countries for years since then.

As I said before all that 'FYSY I happen to grow up in this tiny part of the globe and that defines me and it is the best area ever and nobody is allowed to say otherwise' stuff is profoundly confusing to me.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Land, people, and two centuries of global dominance are how we define ourselves here. We have a long history of bravado and near irrational self assurance. Crossing an ocean into nowhere? balls. Pushing into the unknown wilds? balls. That's not to say it was a beautiful ethical journey, it's just the nature of the people who made it here and survived. The search for a new home. Owning a piece of the world where before one couldn't. To be able to make it on your own sweat and gumption. It's hard wired. We built an amazing thing and watching it topple hurts. To have the rest of the world watch and poke also hurts. A lot of our current bravado is defensive. and it hurts.

Which external parts of your situation do you use to define yourself?
Old 07-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would like to apologize to Lanfear because I said on the show today that Germany should be annexed and erased by its neighboring nations. It doesn't have to be Germany, it could be anyone. It's just a pretty neat way to erase a country from the earth. And, you know. Germany's fun to pick on.