Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree54Likes

Old 08-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Hey, remember that time Robin Williams lost to Jack Nicholson and Daniel Day-Lewis for a Critic's Choice Award and drunk Jack Nicholson had Robin come on stage and do his speech for him?

(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

So...who'd he rip that performance from?
Bucho likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

What weird denial is this, Dean?

"He made a sandwich. Oh let me guess, he stole the idea of making a sandwich from somebody."

You know the truth. You've already acknowledged it. What are you doing now?

You could have kept this thread sweet if you wanted.

Just enjoy him. You don't have to become disingenuous though. You're better than that.
Megantayy likes this.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Whoa...Keith, steady.

I was just being a smart arse.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm reading this morning that Robin Williams' wife has told the press that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #16 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I figured Dean was making a joke based on the fact most of his act was impressions and impressions are, by their nature, "stealing". And in this case Jack was right there.

Don't worry Deano, I got it. I guess SOME PEOPLE just don't understand comedy. Honestly Keith Malley. "All he did was talk fast to trick people ..."? EYES: ROLLING.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

I mean, the guy was literally standing right next to him...
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
I'm reading this morning that Robin Williams' wife has told the press that he was in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease.
This puts a different twist on it, no? I mean, He obviously struggled with depression but when you couple that with a serious illness, doesn't suicide then take on a kind of nobility? Hunter S. Thompson was a great writer whose body was failing him. He couldn't even walk up the stairs. His writing had also fallen apart. So at age 57 he made a similar decision to end life.

I've been listening to the WTF podcast, (recorded in 2010 - Maron really got an incredible interview) and also heard the NPR Fresh Air podcast interview. It reminded me of why I loved Robin Williams so much. The NPR one got a bit heated when Terry Gross asked about his depression. You could tell he wanted to rip into her, but of course side-stepped it a bit with comedy.

Our generation grew up on his movies. When my dad would rent Good Morning Vietnam on VHS; it was like my first exposure to comedy. There were little comedic bits and routines Robin would put into his movies. In retrospect, you can see the brilliance of his acting. No movie script writer came up with what he did. It was pure Robin Williams improv.

Keith made excellent points concerning his stand up. He stole jokes and quite honestly: his stand up was more manic than funny. However, that's not why we loved him. We liked his comedic spirit and characters. Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting had real depth and emotion. This was only accomplished due to Robin's talent and heart.

In the end, Robin Williams will always be remembered as brilliant because he was a truly tortured soul. He wanted so very badly to be loved. He couldn't stand to be in his own skin. This produces some of the best comedy and impersonations. By this definition: a great artist.

There was a recent article with Gilbert Godfrey. He was recounting an interview Robin did in Germany, long ago. The German interviewer asked why Germany didn't have more funny people. Robin Williams simply replied, "Well, because you killed them all."

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 08-20-2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Keith made excellent points concerning his stand up. He stole jokes and quite honestly: his stand up was more manic than funny. However, that's not why we loved him. We liked his comedic spirit and characters. Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting had real depth and emotion. This was only accomplished due to Robin's talent and heart.
That's right. You hear that, writers? Fuck you. It was all Robin.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

My apologies to Matt Damon...
Keith likes this.