Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree50Likes

Old 12-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #21 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Poll

Currently listening to ep 10: The Court Case portion.

Question. How does everyone feel about Adnan's Muslim faith? Personally, (as an atheist) I view most religions as inherently misogynist. I would definitely have had to excuse myself from juror pool; as I'm biased.

Thoughts?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #22 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

For me, I dated a Muslim who's parents were rather strict, so all the sneaking around and stuff made tons of sense to me. If anything, I was very very disgusted to see how the prosecution jury used his religion for their basis considering the kid is an AMERICAN CITIZEN! I do not see what his or his families religion has to do in this case at all other than to help raise bias to convict, period.

UGH just the entire judicial process of the case mindboggles me!!! I do not know if Adnan is guilty or not, I just believe based on the case and how it was presented, it was a miscarriage of justice for both Adnan and Hae and their families.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, Jenn, Donn, and Jay. Sketchy ass mofos
Jmsmittyroad likes this.
Tattoo #146, put some respect on my name!
#FuckToni, Show 1992: Comedy Outlaws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The thing is, Toni happens to be absolutely batshit.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:18 PM   #23 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I'm pretty sure that Adnan's race played a Large part in both the police investigation and the trial.

Just because he is Muslim, does not a murderer make.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #24 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillToni View Post
I was very very disgusted to see how the prosecution jury used his religion for their basis considering the kid is an AMERICAN CITIZEN!
Agreed.

It's shameful that when the Muslim community came out to show their support, (and try and PREVENT Islamaphobia) the opposite happens. The prosecution made it sound like this high school/ American kid Adnan, was going to disappear into some Pakistani [covert Muslim terror group] network?! Huh? WTF? Kid should of got bail. That was dirty.

I can't put blame solely on prosecution though. M. Gutierrez really came off as bitchy, loud, and completely unlikable. When she's screaming at Jay; she made that weird fuck look normal!

Also, who the fuck is this Mr S????
Old 12-26-2014, 07:31 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean from Australia View Post
Just because he is Muslim, does not a murderer make.
True. HOWEVER.

As a skeptical atheist I wonder about Adnan's faith. Muslim religion is incredibly strict about relationships. Also, Adnan makes it clear that he worries about his Muslim mother and father's approval.

No matter what, I feel like this Jay character should have a court sanctioned kick to the dick. What a lying piece of shit. His demeanor reeks of school shooter, ya know?
Old 12-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Have a Google for the #Illridewithyou hashtag that was started during the recent Sydney cafe shooting/siege. For once, people tried (and succeeded a little) in countering Islamophobia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle View Post
Also, who the fuck is this Mr S????
I read this article on "Mr. S" overnight.

Last edited by Dean from Australia; 12-26-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

Finished first season. Whew! What a bizarre murder. This Adnan definitely got dealt a bad hand. If bad luck exists; this guy is a majority share holder.

One thing I can say definitively about this story. As a parent it's made clear that shaming your kid with religion; will only force them to live a double life. Also, encouraging your kid to talk about who they're dating, (rather than forbidding it) has a better outcome.

Oh. One more definitive statement: Stay the fuck out of Baltimore, Maryland.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #28 (permalink)

Sarah Koenig was interviewed on 12/23/14 on NPR Fresh Air podcast.

She says that Adnan has never actually heard the show. He's in jail. They don't have internet. But they do have what sounds like an xbox that plays cds. Sarah offered to burn him some, but she never heard back from him. Maybe they aren't allowed? Maybe he was jailed back in 1999 and the idea of a podcast is too foreign to him?

Serial is #1 podcast in: America, Australia, Britain, and Canada. It makes me wonder if he realizes the impact of the show. Someone other than Serial got him show transcripts, but I wonder what impact this has had on his family.

I'm seeing Save Adnan funds. Certainly more awareness is raised over his case. I wonder what the future holds. This could be a podcast precedent.

If nothing else it would be nice to see a new trial. With new facts presented. With better legal representation and perhaps even Adnan taking the stand.

Last edited by Enunciated Piffle; 12-27-2014 at 12:49 PM. Reason: new stuff
Old 12-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #29 (permalink)

Question: Leakin Park

As someone who lives in a small town. The idea of a park, (like Leakin Park) where it's just known as a place you dump bodies - is crazy.

Is this exclusive to the States? Does Dean or anyone living abroad have big cities with murder rates this high? Where a local park is a known dumping ground?
Old 12-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

While murder rates aren't high per se, Adelaide - where I live - has earned itself a reputation over the years as a kind of weird murder mecca. Google Snowtown, the Beaumont Children, Bevan Spencer Von Einem and you'll get what I mean.

Salman Rushdie once said of Adelaide "It is the perfect city to set a Stephen King novel". Behind its picturesque facade of leafy gardens and churches is a dark and sinister world.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.