Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-18-2006, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

'Serioso' Ideas

I forget which show it is that Chemda tries to create a word stronger than 'boyfriend', but not really 'husband', and gives us her word, 'serioso'.

Sadly, I'm not a fan. It sounds like some pig-latinned foreign language (even though I know it's a real word).

"Dude-o, I need-o mosquito!"
"Serioso?"
"You know-o!"
"Kicking down-o!"

Eats_Paste loves the word, and I haven't created any words recently, so 'serioso' is in my head with Chemda's definition.

Today, though, I listened to the "A Way With Words" podcast and heard that they also are trying to form a word meaning the same as 'serioso'.

I cut that section of the show out and posted it on rapidshare.de so y'all can hear it. Here's the link:

http://rapidshare.de/files/26238980/...Lover.mp3.html

The two that I like the best are 'frovre' (pronounced fru-vehr) and covivant (pronounced co-vee-vant).

'Frovre' is a combination of 'friend' and 'lover' with the 'er' swapping positions. The definition given is "two persons of the same or opposite sex in a long term monogamous relationship outside of marriage that live together."

'Covivant' is a combination of Latin (co) and French (vivant) and means "loving and living together."
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 09:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Why do you need a new word when the word already is...serioso is a great word. Frovre sounds way too much like i should be seig hailing my long term girlfriend. "My Frovre says she doesn't really care for Jews"...

Covivant just sounds like a bug of some kind... "yeah i got a covivant bite while camping...my arm's been itching for days!"

Serioso works much better. It says its a serious relationship, without reverting to nazism, or biology classes.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with the concept, that a better word needs to come into the common vernacular, however I still don't like "serioso." I'd feel lame and possibly pretentious. Like I just heard a European say it and now I can sophisticate you.