Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: Should Keith See Scott Pilgirm?/Would he like it?
YES AND YES! Awesome movie and Keith will think this movies is Aces+ 7 14.58%
Yes and No- I can't wait to hear Keith rip on this fucking ridiculous movie 24 50.00%
No and No- Its a stupid movie and people are stupid for liking it 2 4.17%
Yes he should see it, hell Chemda should see it too 15 31.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNally View Post
It kinda drives me nerd-nuts that people who would love this movie aren't going to see it. It's not gonna be the same seeing in on the small screen. But I don't think Keith should go. It's not a movie meant for a general audience. I'm glad they made it, but the whole thing was bananas from top to bottom. I don't know how they thought it was gonna work out any better than it did.
I seriously expected it to be a complete utter failure as a movie like "Watchmen" but i'm only hearing positives.

I am pretty confident that the movie will work well on a cult level.

BTW the whole "Scott Pilgrim is for nerds who love videogames" thing is very exagerated. The videogame references were mostly part of a whole set of quirkiness. I got more indie music hints and meta-comic book jokes in it than stuff about videogames. The comic book is mostly a love story with a very high sense of quirkiness, a lot of canadian in-jokes and TONS of music references (the kind you get if you know how the musician's life is about) and a deep psycholical depth in the end. The 8-bit gaming love is only a percentage of it.

By what peoplle are writing one could thing it's a movie version of Penny Arcade, and it's much more smart than that.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:26 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I seriously expected it to be a complete utter failure as a movie like "Watchmen" but i'm only hearing positives.

I am pretty confident that the movie will work well on a cult level.
Yeah it will get a cult, but this movie has tanked at the box office. Hopefully DVD sales can make it enough to justify more non-"traditional superhero" graphic novels --> (Pilgrim, Kickass, Watchmen, all awesome, all failed)

Yes is totally more then video game jokes and the music is awesome.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

I think it depends on the movie...

Of course Scott Pilgrim didnt do good at the Box Office (it was coming out with The Exapandables and Eat Pray and Love which are two way more palatable movie for the general audience). But iut could do better on the long distance, since i'm told it has the traits of a cult movie.

Watchmen was a BAD movie. It tried to appeal both the comic book fans and the general audiences and the result is a botched fuck up that spends more time doing idiotic spelled out scenes than actually making sense.

Kick Ass was good but if i wasnt reccomended by people i trust, i wouldnt have watched it. It seemed silly and nerdish. As a normal movie viewere i would've avoided it like the plague.

I think these type of movies have to have a n appeal that works besides the comic book fanbase. Somehow director have gotten convinced that geeks are a loyal audience and that isnt true at all.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Who the fuck cares? Do you like it? Why does it matter?

Let me guess, that kid from Arrested Development plays an awkward nerd who in then end wins? Just like every role he ever plays? What a brilliant fucking concept. The only thing that could top that concept would be to cast Al Pacino in a movie about Italian criminals, not sure why no one else ever thought of this.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Assholes View Post
Let me guess, that kid from Arrested Development plays an awkward nerd who in then end wins? Just like every role he ever plays? What a brilliant fucking concept. The only thing that could top that concept would be to cast Al Pacino in a movie about Italian criminals, not sure why no one else ever thought of this.
What about learning about what you're talking about before posting?

Anyway, the character is not a nerd and is not awkward. He''s actually a teenage slacker with an asshole attitude who gets girls easily and doesnt really think twice about stomping their emotions. He's cocky, arrogant, hot headed but weirdly likeable, sort of a cartoon version of an actual twenty something wanna be rockstar.

Havent seen the movie but i'm told Cera does it extremely well.

Thereis the reason why slightly clever stuff like Pilgrim fails: People judge the movie even before seeing it, and it's not "haters gonna hate".

Haters are the majority. Nobody gives a fuck about plot, originality, characters or whatever. They see a face, they know already everything they have to know about the movie.

That's why lame 3d and Saw movies sell better than anything else.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Well....then I'm wrong. However now I want to see the movie even less. That kid playing a cocky douche that gets chicks is just as bad as Sylvester Stallone starring in Hamlet.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #17 (permalink)

Not a douche, a 24 year old wanna be rockstar that has all the traits of that type: he is a slacker, has dreams bigger than him, falls in and out of love easily, is not really focused, thinks hiughly of himself but doesnt really know how to handle it....

He's a twenty something.

I dont know, i doubted Cera too but McNally who's an expert Pilgrimian says he's awesome in it (check his scott pilgrim XO trilogy on keithcourage.com)
Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Not a douche, a 24 year old wanna be rockstar that has all the traits of that type: he is a slacker, has dreams bigger than him, falls in and out of love easily, is not really focused, thinks hiughly of himself but doesnt really know how to handle it....

He's a twenty something.

I dont know, i doubted Cera too but McNally who's an expert Pilgrimian says he's awesome in it (check his scott pilgrim XO trilogy on keithcourage.com)
It would appear there's no point in arguing with KoA. He is king, after all. He's already made clear that he's jealous of Cera and therefore any movie he's in will be shit, regardless of what it's about or whether it's good.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #19 (permalink)

I really enjoyed this movie, but I also really enjoyed Watchmen. Keith really enjoyed Watchmen so I can only conclude that of course he'll detest Scott Pilgrim.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

i def blame the people who marketed this movie for its failure. i should not have had to got to the imdb to see it was from the same person as Shawn of the dead and hot fuzz. the general public knowing this would have at least doubled the audience.