Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Heard the whole show on a decent recording. The band plays perfectly.

Chris handles almost every song decently. (Weirdly enough, he does better the older, higher stuff than the more recent songs)

He tries to pull "Slaves and Bulldozers" but he messes up embarassingly (But that's an insane song for anyone to sing).

All things considered they can pull it off.

On the whole re-union thing. This type of bands, where all original membvers are alive and well, have shown that they still have a lot to say. If Faith No More, Jesus Lizard, Soundgarden, etc. reunite and can woork on new material, it's not the same as, say, a Guns And Roses re-union with only Axl in it....
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)

Nope i tried and I can't think of one band that broke up and then reunited years later to not suck.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q czar View Post
Nope i tried and I can't think of one band that broke up and then reunited years later to not suck.
I think you say this because you're prejudiced against the ideas of re-unions.

Most of them sucked, but there are exceptions.

Examples:

-Jesus Lizard: every single show they played has the exact same energy of the ones they did in the early nineties.

-Faith No More: they're exactly the same. if you dont like them now, it means you didnt like them back then

-The Stooges: their last record was not good, but not bad either. And they were amazing on stage

-Slint: seriously. absolutely fantastic.

-Dinosaur Jr: they're still incredibly intense and their new material is as good as the old stuff

-Goatsnake (These guys are a bit more cultish, but if you follow the heavy rock scene, they were a hugely influential cult band): They re-united lately and played a fantastic 2 hour set in holland. I saw them and it was heartstopping

-Tesla: they split in 1994. Now they're back and their new stuff is even better than the old stuff.

-Kiss: They suck now, but Psycho Circus was a great record and they were great on their early reunion tours....

...And i could go on. But maybe you could just say that all the band i mentioned sucked for the main reason that trhey reunited. So i could never change your mind. Hating reunions is kinda like calling bands "sellouts", it's a state of mind.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

You could've changed my mind, but I think all those bands you mentioned kinda sucked in the first place. But hey I likes what I likes.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I want to get on board with this thing so bad and I like this video ok, but I just can't make it all the way to being excited. I think it's going to depend on if they can come out with new music as good as the best heavy songs on Superunknown (I don't dare hope for Badmotorfinger quality). Cornell still has a lot of work to do to win me back to believing in him as a rock star again. A lot.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

Bucho, everytime i checked this thread i looked for your response. I'd even say i posted the video for you! And there you are.

I agree, i am holding back my excitement, simply because Cornell fell so low that even if they decide to play in Europe and i overspend to see them, he could be on one of his infamous "bad nights". And that would be painful as hell.

Let's hope...
Old 05-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Bucho, everytime i checked this thread i looked for your response. I'd even say i posted the video for you! And there you are.

I agree, i am holding back my excitement, simply because Cornell fell so low that even if they decide to play in Europe and i overspend to see them, he could be on one of his infamous "bad nights". And that would be painful as hell.

Let's hope...
Yeah, I was glad to see it Junks, and I am glad that they're giving it a shot. But I think for me it would even take more than just seeing him be the Soundgarden Chris Cornell again. Like, he would need to renounce some of the bullshit he's come out with as the product of being fucked on meth or devastated by Jeff Buckley's death or just plain out-of-control ego or something. Maybe all three.

It's that along the line he's completely obliterated that rockstar aura and stage charisma that made him so cool and entertaining to me. Where once he seemed like pure rock awesome he ended up becoming an exercise in self-parody, like a one-man grunge Spinal Tap. And I'm obviously not a kid anymore so it's a long time since I indulged in any Rock God worship, but you make great points that a bunch of Cornell's contemporaries have maintained their level of artistic respectability. It just may be that he's done too much that I don't respect for me to fully enjoy what he does anymore. If I think if he still believes in a lot of his subpar post-Soundgarden output (and even some of the weaker later stuff Soundgarden put out) then I'm probably not going to be able to help seeing him up in front of Soundgarden as a pretender. Like it's an act.

But time will tell. At least he's up there with Kim, Ben and Matt again so there's hope. I still believe in those three guys 100%. Each.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:56 AM   #18 (permalink)

Meth? Really? Didnt know that, and i even have their biography (one of the most boring rock books i've ever read. I'm THAT much of a fan).

So that's why he got so fuckin' raspy and off tune.

Sad, really. He was a god to me. I even liked "Euphoria Morning". That record had definitely more dignity than a lot of the Audioslave material or those last horrible solo records.

Oh well. Maybe we could hope for a TAD reunion one day. Or, dare i say, another Temple of The Dog Album.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Yeah, I never read the book. I'd heard their story and the Seattle story a million times in feature articles and interviews and never felt like I needed to know more. And to be clear and fair I'm not sure about the meth, it's a rumour that would seem to fit in some ways but then he's always had a natural eccentricity anyway. He wouldn't have needed drugs to make the artistic decisions he's made.

The problem he's had artistically is that as an earnest songwriter and performer you have to be on point all the time. A band like Ween can get away with crossing styles much more easily because they're all about goofing and having fun. They just happen to be great musicians and songwriters. But when a guy like Chris Cornell (and Eddie Vedder and Bono are in the same mould) misstep they don't have the safety net of a sense of humour. That's not to say they might not be funny guys in real life, it's that their artistic personas are at least 98% earnest.

I liked some of the tunes off of Euporia Morning too, it at least feels like an honest record and is at least partly quite a touching tribute to his buddy Jeff Buckley. But there was a thread of mischieviousness and playfulness running thought Jeff's music that Chris doesn't have. The earnestness that guys like Chris and Eddie have is always best channelled through aggression rather than plaintiveness. They need to deliver with some fierceness, with fire in their eyes and thunder in their souls.

To me Soundgarden's greatness at the time of Badmotorfinger was in that melding of Led Zep/Sabbath classic heavy rock and the down and dirty rebel sneer of punk, and out front Chris embodied that. He was forged from classic heavy rock and punk. There was a purity to that which made him so compelling. His subsequent work has killed that. I don't think it's that he sold out, he never needed to because Soundgarden made him rich. It's more that he seemed to get lost somewhere, and to find a way out he started to act instead of just to be.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #20 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Q czar;645721]Soundgarden has exactly 2 sounds worth listening to. [QUOTE]

And both of them are in this song.

BAowrrr .... MeddleowMEEE!

Judajudjuda-judjududajuhdah comes in a close second.

Gabe