Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-04-2010, 03:46 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
-Slint: seriously. absolutely fantastic.
These guys never got over being good. They were all in great bands and have since gone on to do great things. They had the good sense to quit while they were ahead.

Gabe
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yet, they're reunion show was something out of a dream, and it took days for me to get that weird feeling they gave me off my chest.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 AM   #23 (permalink)

I look at this the same way i reacted to my older sister the other day telling me Metallica are touring this year. In their heyday, i would've whored out my mother and sold my internal organs to see them live, now i'm like "if i have a spare $150 around that time.. we'll see".

Granted, Soundgarden knew when to give up but there's just something that would have me second guessing my dicision throughout the whole ticket buying procedure.

All that prefaced with the fact that, besides Metallica and Alice In Chains, Soundgarden were easily in my Top 3 favourite bands back in the day.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

It's not the same thing. Metallica has been out of creativity since the Black Album. Their shows are still professionally handled and that what keeps them alive.

Soundgarden broke up out of harsh differences but they were far from being dried out creatively. Cornell is the only problem in this reuinion. Kim, Ben and Matt have shown in all their following projects that they still have enough drive to pull it off. Again let's not shrug this off out of some "anti-reunion" prejudice.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
It's not the same thing. Metallica has been out of creativity since the Black Album.
I have to agree with that. For Whom the Bell Tolls is still one of my favorite songs, and of course One was epic. I loved the black album at the time, but now I listen to their older stuff more. On Load, I liked Until it Sleeps, but when that CD got scratched I never bothered to replace it.

For Soundgarden, Outshined it still on my playlist. Some more of his stuff was on Temple of the Dog with guys from Mother Love Bone and Pearl Jam. A few good songs there like Wooden Jesus.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Some of the Load stuff wasnt bad, but it felt like they were trying to ape other bands and didnt have the ideas to do it. I remember seing them onstage at the time, with the amazing Corrosion Of Conformity (they always have a good ear for supporting bands. They're playing with the almighty High On Fire now), and COC played that heavy rock so much better than them.

St Anger is just shit. No other definition.

Death Magnetic has good playing on it, Hetfield is still a great singer and a magnificient rhythm guitarist. But the songs sound more like riffs slapped together.

Soundgarden, on the other hand, did some of their most mature songwriting on "Down on the upside". Plus, Kim Thayil, Ben Shepherd and Matt Cameron did great stuff after the break up. To mention the obvious, Cameron has given Perl Jam their balls back.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:06 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not the same thing. Metallica has been out of creativity since the Black Album. Their shows are still professionally handled and that what keeps them alive.

Soundgarden broke up out of harsh differences but they were far from being dried out creatively. Cornell is the only problem in this reuinion. Kim, Ben and Matt have shown in all their following projects that they still have enough drive to pull it off. Again let's not shrug this off out of some "anti-reunion" prejudice.
Don't get me wrong, the band did sound amazing in that video and i'm by no means a hater of reunions (if White Zombie would reunite and tour, i could die happy), i don't know.. Soundgarden reuniting just doesn't excite me as much as it should. It's probably just because all my Soundgarden albums have been gathering dust since Chris formed Audioslave.

I agree with all your Metallica comments though. I really like Load, everything after that wasn't good. To be fair though, i gave up the moment i heard St Anger so i haven't heard Death Magnetic. They may be back.. i wouldn't know.

Last edited by serial_x; 05-05-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #28 (permalink)

Oh yes, i know that feeling. The man has shat on the glorious power that was The Garden by making mediocre albums and horrendous stage performances.

But hearing the whole show... Well, made me want to have hope. He stills fucks up some songs, which are really out of his reach now. But he does an amazing "Outshined". And a fantastic "Gun". He sounds enthusiastic and the band is tight as a japanese schoolgirl's butthole (errr...). No sign of that rusty, "only doin' it for the money" feeling. They really sound like they WANT to play.

I will be filled with doubt and hesitation, but if they play i WILL be there. And if they do a new studio album, i'll risk and get excited. They're one of those bands i cannot give up on.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
I will be filled with doubt and hesitation, but if they play i WILL be there. And if they do a new studio album, i'll risk and get excited. They're one of those bands i cannot give up on.
I know that feeling, i'm like that with Rob Zombie. With each new album, another little part dies inside.