Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

This!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
If you have the option, get the degree without taking a semester off. Finish it. Just get the degree in something business, finance, or IT related.

In the job market, there are many jobs that require a degree to apply. Often, it doesn't even matter what the degree is in, as long as you have bachelor's degree.......
....I know a lot of people that decided to take a little time off. Most of the time, life happens and it's years before they get back (if they manage to get back). Meanwhile, they miss a lot of career opportunities.......

it's called delayed gratification do the right thing.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #12 (permalink)

I thought about leaving school for awhile when I thought I wasn't going to have enough money. I'm really glad I didn't. I got my degree done in 4 years and I have a lot of options my 'semester off' friends don't have. I also have a lot more money.

The way it seemed to shake out in my experience is that the semester off kids who had unlimited financing were able to pull their lives back together after their break, but the kids who didn't have the funding didn't make it back.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

I took a year off between high school and uni, traveled, worked, explored, etc. I'm taking another semester off next year to figure out what I want to do. I think it really depends on the person as to how good an idea it is. Some people thrive in constant education, moving right into gainful employment, others will benefit from a little freedom and adventure. If you think you can keep yourself alive and occupied I'd reccomend taking some time off, especially if you're unsure of your path in school.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 AM   #14 (permalink)

use summer as a trial for a "semester off". just do what you would do during your semester off then.
personally, when i graduate (im a junior now) i plan on taking a semester off between finishing my 4 years and going to grad school.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

hmmrrrrmmmnnn ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31773.jpg (7.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 11-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesiren View Post
im currently taking time off. it turned into 2 years so far. I love it. dont care if i go back. dont need degrees. im not looking to be a faggot.
I think you did college wrong.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

I took my first break from school to become an engineering contractor at the local power company. It was good money and good experience, but when the project ended after a year away, getting pack to school was torture, so after a couple semesters back I took another break to write software and haven't been back yet.

So far I'm cruising pretty well, but at some point I have to go figure out some kind of degree in something so that I can move up into management positions.

No amount of good at your job will get you past the brick wall of no degree when you're applying for management.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesiren View Post
YEAH I FUCKING SAID IT. stop sucking cock already, number.
?
?
?
Old 11-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug View Post
I took my first break from school to become an engineering contractor at the local power company. It was good money and good experience, but when the project ended after a year away, getting pack to school was torture, so after a couple semesters back I took another break to write software and haven't been back yet.

So far I'm cruising pretty well, but at some point I have to go figure out some kind of degree in something so that I can move up into management positions.

No amount of good at your job will get you past the brick wall of no degree when you're applying for management.
Out of interest, what degree were you studying before you stopped this last time?

@alannanana:

I'd say stay in school. Taking a break might seem like a good idea right now but as others have said, it's really hard to come back. I dropped out of uni twice. The first time was after failing one semester and almost failing the next, I 'deferred' and worked full time for about six months. Then I went back and attempted it again the following year. I lasted about a month before I dropped out for real. I then went to work full time until the global economic crisis hit early last year and all of a sudden my shifts were cut down from five to one a week.

I'd moved out of home while working full time and all of a sudden not having a job to support myself, I was up shit creek without a paddle. I was pretty much forced back into study cause we have a great system here whereby if you're studying you can get less than minimum wage welfare payments. It's possible to live off, but I supplement if with two shifts a week at a job as well.

So in July last year I went back to study just doing a diploma. I'm about to finish said diploma now and go on to uni for real this time. I'm hoping to not need any breaks for the next four or so years as I know that with my track record I won't go back unless something forces me to.

So long story short: Don't take any breaks unless you absolutely have to! There's plenty of time to travel and see the world after you have a degree. It's a lot harder doing it the other way around.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

Electrical engineering