Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 AM   #21 (permalink)

I took a semester off, then got right back into it no problem. I was just super tired of school, I didn't care anymore, taking some time to find out how I would have to live without a degree and/or a decent job gave me the motivation I needed to finish. I traveled a little, but mostly just worked waiting tables and hung out with friends, I had a good time, but the hand to mouth living situation was not for me. Now I'm done, have a decent job, and can have a good time without worrying about tests or feeling like a douche for not finishing school.

Alot of it depends on your own determination, and specifics about your situation. I had cheap rent, good friends and family to lend me a hand, and I didn't knock anyone up or "had life happen to me."

Plus there is the uncontrollable luck factor, being a semester off made it so I was able to get a job pretty much right out of school, just cause my employer happened to be hiring at that time, and I thoroughly enjoy me job.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I got my bachelors and starting working right away. Everyone said I should go back to get my masters immediately, that if I waited I would never do it. I told them (like, my parents for example) that I wanted to get into my job and that I will start in 1 year. They backed off, but I was warned.

Well, I went back and got my MBA after the year off. I'm glad I took the break and I'm glad I lived up to do what I said I would do.

Only you know you. If you make yourself a promise try not to break it cause you probably will regret it if you do.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #23 (permalink)

I'm still an undergrad, I don't have too many credits under my belt and I'm not looking at graduating for at least another three years. Right now, I'm majoring in English/Secondary Education; as soon as I graduate with my bachelors, I need to be certified to teach in Virginia. Then I teach. No masters is required although I would eventually like to go to grad school.

Am I romanticizing the idea of time off? Probably. I don't have much money saved up, true. The state actually pays for my in-state tuition with the exception of books and housing. My plan from January 2011 to the next fall semester would be work, work, work (I do love my job, I work at a bookstore), boost my performing repertoire (and I mean playing real gigs and releasing music, not getting baked and playing shitty Grateful Dead covers), and move in with two close friends.

All of you raise good points, especially those of you who tried it and wished you hadn't.

Last edited by alannanana; 11-08-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesiren View Post
i dont need degrees. im not looking to be a faggot.
Suppose I am looking to be a faggot?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #25 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alannanana View Post
Suppose I am looking to be a faggot?
Then get degrees!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
im currently taking time off. it turned into 2 years so far. I love it. dont care if i go back. dont need degrees. im not looking to be a faggot. do what you want. you can do anything. why brag about your car? same shit with degrees. good job buying something. you can learn it all from the nets. goodluck. come visit.
I can't get over this post.

I just keep thinking about what the resume would look like.

Education: learned it all from the nets
Old 11-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
and...

Speciality: Not a faggot!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:52 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
and...

Speciality: Not a faggot!

Fuck yeah! Who wouldn't hire me?

(Anyone have an extra couch I can crash on for two months? In return, I will make you grilled cheese.)
Old 11-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Stay. Finish.
Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
im not looking to be a faggot.
Too. Late. Learn. English. Mother. Fucker.