Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree6Likes

Old 06-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
This is another factor. Should I watch them all?

fuck your factor.

watch them all, but start watching then skip to 90% and let the last bit roll. meanwhile clikc like.
BrianAlt likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

How'd I do?
MichaelApproved likes this.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
These videos are probably helping us get new fans but viewership is still low so it's not making as big an impact compared to the work it takes to create them. We're pumping out so many videos a day, it's hard to focus on promoting them all. We end up with a lot of shows that get a few hits each. Many get just a few hundred views. We need to find more places to share the content, beyond .
I have to admit that you having so many videos is one of the reasons I don't watch. Seeing them clogg up my YouTube feed kinda annoyed me actually and as I listen to all the shows I am not super interested in rewatching immediately. And I don't wanna decide which one might be the 'best' one of the day
I know picking the best scene of each show is hard but less videos would be better I think.
Maybe do one around the topic of the show quote?
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
fuck your factor.

watch them all, but start watching then skip to 90% and let the last bit roll. meanwhile clikc like.
Actually, I think YouTube would detect this as trying to game the system or otherwise not care about the view. I think they mark a video as relevant if people thumbs up, comment and watch a lot of the video. If you watch a small percentage, they'll consider you uninterested with it since you skipped ahead.

I don't have any evidence that it's how they do things but it's how I would write the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
I have to admit that you having so many videos is one of the reasons I don't watch. Seeing them clogg up my YouTube feed kinda annoyed me actually and as I listen to all the shows I am not super interested in rewatching immediately. And I don't wanna decide which one might be the 'best' one of the day
I know picking the best scene of each show is hard but less videos would be better I think.
Maybe do one around the topic of the show quote?
Great point of view. My thinking is that subscribers like more shows but maybe they find it annoying. Another person also mentioned this early on. I don't use YouTube as a subscriber so I don't know this point of view very well.

Do any other subscribers feel this way?
Old 06-20-2013, 04:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
Actually, I think YouTube would detect this as trying to game the system or otherwise not care about the view. I think they mark a video as relevant if people thumbs up, comment and watch a lot of the video. If you watch a small percentage, they'll consider you uninterested with it since you skipped ahead.

I don't have any evidence that it's how they do things but it's how I would write the code.
I tested this a while ago and the views did increase, however i haven't checked it recently, so youtube may have figured it out...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post
I tested this a while ago and the views did increase, however i haven't checked it recently, so youtube may have figured it out...
To further my speculation, I'd have a public view count (which counted all the raw views) and an internal weight/rank value (which allowed me rank videos based on length of views, votes and other metrics). My guess is this weight is what the related video relevance and search results would be based on. Videos with the most natural views/votes get a higher weight.

It's mostly speculation based on how I'd build a ranking engine and some industry blogs which show similar behavior with the Google Search rankings. For example, Google ranks a page higher if a viewer scrolls on the page. They also rank higher if a user stays on the page. That's because the user showed enough interest in the page to continue reading.

All that information is collected to create a relevancy weight for pages. I would guess they do something similar to videos.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I like the idea of maybe one video a week that has 5 clips one after another, each including the quote associated with each show that week. No pressure on picking the show quote though

That way if you are new to the show you get a good feel for how the show runs, the number of guests it has in a week, and a wide range of discussions. If I hadn't heard of the show and saw the number of videos per episode, picked one and it ended up not resonating with me, I might not click on another. Whereas one clip that covers the whole week will give a better showcase of what to expect.

I'd probably be more inclined to share one video a week like that on Facebook and Twitter than picking a video from each episodes set and sharing them on social media.

Last edited by bw81; 06-20-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post

Great point of view. My thinking is that subscribers like more shows but maybe they find it annoying. Another person also mentioned this early on. I don't use YouTube as a subscriber so I don't know this point of view very well.

Do any other subscribers feel this way?
it comes down to time watched, not views. YouTube Creator Blog: YouTube search, now optimized for time watched