Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 02-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Treasuring Episodes Longterm

Hello!
I'm a VIP member and looking to keep the episodes I download. But I also want to keep my computer clear of bulky items like large amounts of music, movies, podcasts, etc. I'm just wondering how everyone else is storing the older episodes. What are you using now? Your methods? Plans for organizing as you acquire the catalogue of genius?
Cheers!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

External drives are super cheap these days. I'm pretty sure you can get 5TB for $2.35 or something ridiculous.

I have most KATGs backed up but I run them through a converter to trim them down from the 192kbps Keith's aural OCD dictates to a more rational 40kbps. Most talk shows, including professional stuff like NPR ot the BBC, go out at 64, which is more than enough for talk content. Marc Maron's WTF goes out at 40 and it sounds fine and dandy.

But you don't need that technical mumbo jumbo, just get an external drive and a free converter like CDex and you'll be away laughing.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
External drives are super cheap these days. I'm pretty sure you can get 5TB for $2.35 or something ridiculous.
Actually, I would wait until at least the summer to buy any hard drive, if you can. Prices got jacked last year due to natural disasters. My 2 TB hard drive was $79 last April. Same one is now $140.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
Marc Maron's WTF goes out at 40 and it sounds fine and dandy.
I couldn't disagree more.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Official KATG Fucktard Club

Considering they're just mp3s and don't take up much space, you could probably burn the whole collection on a few DVDs. If you don't need extra disc space very often, blank DVDs are your cheapest answer.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I used to archive a lot of media but then after a while realized that I was collecting more than I would ever watch or listen to.

I was delusional - I fancied myself an archivist of material that may one day be hard to come by, but for whom?

And as digital, these collections fair worse than analog, what with media degradation or failure. So if you're a true archivist you back up off-site and validate the backup every so often.

Not long ago you either watched or listened or missed it forever. Now we DVR, youtube, burn, ...

After a while you realize you're time-shifting more than you'll ever experience and the urgency and desire of the content fading. You wind up telling yourself that you'll watch it one day but the days go by, months... and you never do.

You wind up becoming a digital hoarder, with a collection of media collected for the sake of collecting rather than use.

"That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy."
- Boogie Nights
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
I used to archive a lot of media but then after a while realized that I was collecting more than I would ever watch or listen to.

I was delusional - I fancied myself an archivist of material that may one day be hard to come by, but for whom?

And as digital, these collections fair worse than analog, what with media degradation or failure. So if you're a true archivist you back up off-site and validate the backup every so often.

Not long ago you either watched or listened or missed it forever. Now we DVR, youtube, burn, ...

After a while you realize you're time-shifting more than you'll ever experience and the urgency and desire of the content fading. You wind up telling yourself that you'll watch it one day but the days go by, months... and you never do.

You wind up becoming a digital hoarder, with a collection of media collected for the sake of collecting rather than use.
This is a really good response and absolutely true.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have been listening to the show since around 300 or so and i of course went back to the start and listend from there. I kept all the episodes i downloaded on my 160gb ipod i think i have over 1000 shows on there but i dont keep adding to it. its just whats on it. I actually forgot i had all those shows on it.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

I just store it in my pussy
Old 02-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettha View Post
I just store it in my pussy
It says something about a girl's character when she openly admits having 1540 or more things in her vagina at the same time.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post

I wish you would post more often William, you've always been one of the best.

I relisten to stuff though. During the Christmas hiatus I loaded up a bunch of eps with either Mike Lawrence or Pat Dixon in them and listened back to back to back. I've done the same with Patrice and Adam Brown eps in the past. I'm not so much an archivist as a too-lazy-to-redownload-even-though-I'm-VIP-baby-ist.

You make great points in general though. Hoarders gonna hoard. (I just made that phrase up out of pure wordplay genius.)