Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

PLEASE HELP: KATG podcast for third-world fans

I hereby would like to raise awareness to the need of a low-bandwidth version of the KATG podcast for fans who happen to live in countries which do not have cheap bandwidth.

This includes all the countries of Africa. Things will improve when the new WACS undersea cable has been laid on the seabed linking Africa to USA via Portugal, but unfortunately the process is being delayed due to various reasons, including sea pirates.

http://www.republikein.com.na/die-ma...-sea.83607.php

I hereby would like to start a petition to KATG to introduce a low-bandwidth version to KATG fans who have limited bandwidth.

Those of you who would like to voice your support in this matter, please do so.

Thank you very much.

Regards.

Francois de Villiers.
Skype/Twitter: crazydivvie

Last edited by MrBigDeal; 04-24-2009 at 06:01 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

how could a 60+ min audio file ever be reasonable for daily download at low bandwidth?

If there is a big market for it I'm all for it, but if the market was big enough I would think there would be many low-band podcasts.

Fr Malley would have easy access too.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigDeal View Post
I hereby would like to raise awareness to the need of a low-bandwidth version of the KATG podcast for fans who happen to live in countries which do not have cheap bandwidth.
Don't you guys have caching proxies?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

alright, i'm in. first the 19-0 shirts, now KATG. they're gonna be living the life over there!
Old 04-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
If there is a big market for it I'm all for it, but if the market was big enough I would think there would be many low-band podcasts.
That's probably why the most profesional of all profesional podcasters, the BBC, put theirs out at 64, a massive third world audience. As far as sound quality goes music needs to be at 128 or more to sound good but talk radio is a different kind of signal and the difference in quality between 64 and 192 is barely noticeable unless you have fancypants headphones. Obviously KATG serves a smaller niche than the Beeb and Keith has no use for the third world anyway, but if the third world has a use for KATG it'd pay to be as available as possible, maybe earn some of those babillion Zimbabwean dollar notes.

Also, I know Keith is very sensitive to sound issues and likes to get the best possible sound out but that's almost all taken care off at the recording and processing end of things with their great gear setup, that's why their sound is superior to the majority of indie podcasts and to my ears is on the same level as the profesional radio stations. Because of that, KATG still sounds very good at 64. I sometimes listen to them that way because I convert them for arquiving and I use a 1GB cheapo player like McNally champions.

I understand the frustration Francois is going through, when I lived in Brazil my podcast options were way cut from what my spoiled ass was used to in NZ so I mostly stuck to the Beeb.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzagama View Post
Don't you guys have caching proxies?
Caching proxies mean Keith and Chemda don't get the advertising moola, it would make more sense to release 16kb mono versions. It's crunchy but listenable.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFT View Post
then maybe we can get the archives on vinyl???
If you transfer the mp3 onto vinyl it sounds all nice and warm. And if you play it backwards you can hear keith saying patrice is dead.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'd love smaller sized episodes, Some of the third world has better Interwebs than Auuuustralia.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Will Keith cater to countries whose people marry cats and fuck virgins to cure AIDS?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

You might want to check out Moodio.fm. This is a service that re-encodes live audio streams down to a low bandwidth version so you can listen to them on a mobile phone. I use it with my Blackberry at 32kbps AAC-HE and it sounds very good.

The only problem is I don't know how you would use it on a PC since it is designed for mobile phone use.

If you keep track of the show notifications you should be able to catch the live airing of KATG in real time, but you would have to re-enter the "station" into Moodio since they clear it out when the stream goes "off the air".

Even so, it is a great resource for low bandwidth live audio.

ETA: Also, it might be worth trying to catch the live feed of the show direct. I believe it is a 64kbps stream.