Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Video converter help

Hey guys. i recently shot some footage with my sisters Sony handy cam with 40x Carl Zeiss lens (?) using using Maxell dvd-rw mini discs. i have no clue what i just said lol, her video camera is very new to me. anyways, i managed to get the file onto the computer, after converting it to iso. That didn't work, so i tried .uif. Now i can't play it (tried in vlc media player, but no audio), and i need the video to work in windows movie maker. This video is very important (for work), So I need to know how I can play it, or if i need to convert it again. tried Google, didn't find anything useful, downloaded a bunch of programs but so far no luck. I was just about to shoot myself in the head, then I thought of you guys. any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

btw, so far used magic iso, magic disc, dvd decrytor, dvd shrink.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've done video conversion using Windows media player. Also, theres a thing called windows media encoder that you can get for free online. I don't remember what I did or how, or I'd tell you.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

what format is it in on the disc? it should be mpeg i think. you should be able to play it form the disc.
if it needs to be converted, convert it with SUPER
super will convert anything to anything else
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hellbent has the key question. What's the file extension?

From your camera details I got the following info:

DVD-format video recording The DVD recording format in MPEG2 (SD) delivers digital picture and sound quality comparable to that of MiniDV, but on DVD. Playback of these DVDs couldn't be simpler (depending upon the playback device used). After finalizing the disc in the camcorder, the disc can play back in most DVD players (SD), computers, Blu-ray Disc players, and even PlayStation 3 video game consoles.

DVD-R/-RW/+RW and +R DL (Dual Layer) compatible Compatibility with a variety of DVD formats3 allows the ease-of-use and simplicity found in DVD media. With DVD+RW media there is no need to finalize the disc (minimum recording required); simply remove the finalized disc and insert the media into a compatible DVD or Blu-ray Disc Player.

So I assume these are normal .vob files like you'd find on any DVD then?

Last edited by GaryStoleXmas; 12-03-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #5 (permalink)

file extension

actually, its kind of a weird file, because i found a bunch of help, but they were all for a different kind of file. I did have to finalize the disc, but the root of the disc is called dvd_rtav. inside, there is a .bup, .ifo, and .vro. so... now what? :P
Old 12-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

I googled your phrase: ".bup, .ifo, and .vro"

First listing a person had the exact same problem. Here was the fix. (they used the second one (streamclip). Good luck!

-----------------------
OP forgot to set the dvd recorder to VIDEO MODE , thats why they have VRO's and not VOB's .

Tmpgenc and uleadvideo studio 8 se can handle vro's .

But try mpeg streamclip from Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Windows XP/Vista
Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

trying

thanks gary, am currently downloading "super" and "squared". Will let you know if it works. you guys are great.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

the files on the disc are .iso or dvd files?
try magic dvd ripper if its stuff like .ifo and .bup
Old 12-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

The camera records video in a 'special' format AVCHD. To edit it you will need to convert it to a PC-friendly format.

Did you update the sony software and /or PC drivers? They have a utility update that works a bit better I hear.

There are many 'free' conversions 'solutions'. Beware. Panasonic makes a free utility but it's hard to find and not very friendly.

I suggest Nero 7 or 8 Ultra edition. AVCHD player is (hidden) in the 'Nero Vision' section. Use the converter to spit out an .avi of the videos and edit away.

BTW conversion takes FOREVER. Editing even longer. Rendering....

AVCHD - Wikipedia
(Online)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

What are all the export options that your camera gives you?

Files like ifo, bup and vob are raw DVD files. Using Handbrake should be able to convert these to something playable on your computer or MP3 player, whatever.

HandBrake

With what you have now, you should be able to open Handbrake, click on Source at the top and choose VIDEO_TS. Navigate to the folder and choose it, then choose a conversion option from the right; this will configure everything for you based on what you'll be using to play it. Try Normal for now. Choose a destination folder and then click Start.

Steam | Gamertag | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by Sokkratez; 12-05-2008 at 04:42 AM.