Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: what age did you stop beleaving in the religion you where raised with?
10-15 65 31.55%
15-20 52 25.24%
20-35 22 10.68%
35-40 0 0%
40-50 1 0.49%
50+ 0 0%
dont remember 3 1.46%
never had religion 37 17.96%
im one of those pompus assholes who thinks i could make these decisions before age ten 12 5.83%
never stopped 14 6.80%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Post what age did you stop beleaving in the religion you where raised with?

i was watching Bill Maher and he mentioned he stopped beleaving in the religion he was raised with at sixth grade, this struk me as thats when i stopped beleaving as well. so it got me thinking, could the age you stop beleaving be corilated with the age you start having rational discriminating thought?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshnobobo2.0 View Post
i was watching Bill Maher and he mentioned he stopped beleaving in the religion he was raised with at sixth grade, this struk me as thats when i stopped beleaving as well. so it got me thinking, could the age you stop beleaving be corilated with the age you start having rational discriminating thought?
I stopped going to church around 11, but I don't think I really stopped believing until 13 or 14, before 15 all the same.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
I stopped going to church around 11, but I don't think I really stopped believing until 13 or 14, before 15 all the same.
sorta the opposite for me, i stopped believing way before my parents stopped making me go to church
Old 02-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
tga

Probably about the same age I learned how to spell the word Believe.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:57 AM   #5 (permalink)

i always had questions growing up catholic in a muslim country, but was too scared to ask my parents, namely my mother cos she's uber catholic...

then i moved to the philippines and saw how stupid religion got (it's fucking everywhere here. i hate it.) and i stopped going to church and became atheist.

amen.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

12 ... It involved a tent revival meeting and a fucktard showing movies of volcanoes that he claimed were pictures of hell.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoshnobobo2.0 View Post
sorta the opposite for me, i stopped believing way before my parents stopped making me go to church
I stopped believing around 10 or so, but my mother made me go until I was about 15, in part because I just didn't ever tell her until I was 15, and even when I told her I was atheist, she insisted I go lest I change my mind. This, however, cemented the fact that I can lie fairly well, given that I gave a speech professing my dedication to the Presbyterian Church, and despite the fact that I had laced it with some contempt and disdain for religion, the pastor like it so much he made me read it to the congregation, people cried, I laughed. I'm so going to metaphorical hell
Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

I can pinpoint the exact moment I lost my religion. Our very own Scotticus hit me up with a fact: Life is a state of disequilibrium. Everything clicked and I lost my soul. Thanks, Dr. Scotty!

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-24-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 02-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

i was never raised with it, not babtized/confirmed..... but my parents claim we are lutheren for some reason.* I never really believed in religion, i knew it existed because friends of mine would go to church but i never really knew what church was or why they went.* When i was about 12 yrs old i was snowmobiling with some neighbors and they started making fun of me for not being babptized, calling me the devil and what not.* It really upset me to the point of balling in the bathroom at home. NOt because i was ashamed to be unreligious, but because i was different from everyone else.* Thats probably the only experiance i have had regarding god.* But im very thankful now for the way i was raised and wish everyone would respect everyone elses religious choices with a little more tolerance.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have always been an atheist. I never believed any of the crap churches or crazy people told me. You can be jealous and try to deny that that's possible and include accusations of ego in the only applicable poll choice, but I still talk about how much I actively hated going to church as a kid. I remember having to bullshit my way through some Jesus talk in Sunday school, trying to pretend that I believed well enough so that none of the crazies would try to talk to me before the bell rang and I could go get a doughnut. And on the days no one brought any doughnuts I was a pissed little kid. I very much remember cringing at all the stupid babble about what Jesus did for them and meant to them, and having to force the word Jesus out of my mouth with some sort of serious tone fucking killed me.

Going to church was, as I felt at the time and still feel, the single worst and most dreaded experience in my childhood. It was even grating when I did YMCA shit and they'd mention God. I hated that crap.

The only thing that has changed with age is my respect for and aggression against Christians. I find them decreasingly tolerable.