Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: what age did you stop beleaving in the religion you where raised with?
10-15 65 31.55%
15-20 52 25.24%
20-35 22 10.68%
35-40 0 0%
40-50 1 0.49%
50+ 0 0%
dont remember 3 1.46%
never had religion 37 17.96%
im one of those pompus assholes who thinks i could make these decisions before age ten 12 5.83%
never stopped 14 6.80%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2009, 09:30 AM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
This is why I promote Thomas Paine's idea of Deism. He writes that reason is the greatest gift of God, that science is learning the magnificence of God, and that the world itself makes any text that purports to be The Word redundant.

I cannot possibly see how Christianity is equally as healthy and reasonable as that religion.
I haven't read Paine's works, but that's the modus operandi of every physicist I've ever met. That's why I find it amusing when people cite stats saying that those in the sciences tend to atheistic. Not quite true. In the sciences, one develops their own concept of god and meaning that transcends anything that common faiths put forth. Most scientists say 'atheist' because popular theism is repulsive.

I believe Einstein believed in Spinoza's god. That's something I can agree with. 'god' is merely a pretty idea to keep in mind while uncovering real truth.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #92 (permalink)

I think the problem is an idea of god formulated through scientific knowledge inherently leads one away from Judeo-Christian beliefs, though not from theism, and so the aggressive factions of atheists and Judeo-Christian followers trample right over the facts and stifle the concept entirely, weaponizing whatever elements they can to combat the opposing camp.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:46 AM   #93 (permalink)

Within Deism, what IS God? Is it outside space/time? What's its nature and role?

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-27-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
I think the problem is an idea of god formulated through scientific knowledge inherently leads one away from Judeo-Christian beliefs, though not from theism, and so the aggressive factions of atheists and Judeo-Christian followers trample right over the facts and stifle the concept entirely, weaponizing whatever elements they can to combat the opposing camp.
Yup, like I said in another thread, I'm not a proponent of 'god', but atheism is nothing but a reaction to theism. The true state of man (and everything) will probably be agnostic (in the strictest sense) until the end of ends.

With that said, I don't see anything limiting human beings from knowing everything 'god' knows. We just have to give ourselves time.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:54 AM   #95 (permalink)

Religion is a cultural virus. It's an opportunistic disease that infects culturally deficient individuals.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Within Deism, what IS God? It is outside space/time? What's its nature and role?
Unfortunately, the best answer I have to this specific question is a nebulous, eastern-philosophical sort of one. 'god' is what you want it to be.

For me, 'god' is just a way for me to rationalize the unknown. However, I differentiate between the unknown and the unknowable. Nothing, to me, is unknowable.

I like coming up with lists of 'gods' as theoretical constructs. 'god' is the initial observer in quantum mechanics. 'god' is an asymptotic limit to human intelligence. 'god' is the electromagnetic force.

Of course, this is just for my amusement, not worship. I chose to 'worship' by trying to know previously unknown things.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leixes View Post
Religion is a cultural virus. It's an opportunistic disease that infects culturally deficient individuals.
Yay! Reunion!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzagama View Post
Yay! Reunion!
Did you see that waitress. She had a nice piece of ass!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Within Deism, what IS God? Is it outside space/time? What's its nature and role?
Another reply. If you *did* know the true nature of 'god', would you recognize it? Would you accept it? Would it coincide with your expectations? What if it was quite ordinary?

I think the first step to understanding 'god' is to understand the being asking the question. We are humans, so we ask these sort of questions embedded in a social and cultural context. It seems the first step would be to step outside this context. Monks do this with isolation and meditation. I think I did it once with a psychedelic.

But by saying that last sentence, in the eyes of some, I've completely destroyed the validity of my previous statements.

Last edited by dzagama; 02-27-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Too many first steps! Reorder as you see fit.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzagama View Post
Yup, like I said in another thread, I'm not a proponent of 'god', but atheism is nothing but a reaction to theism. The true state of man (and everything) will probably be agnostic (in the strictest sense) until the end of ends.

With that said, I don't see anything limiting human beings from knowing everything 'god' knows. We just have to give ourselves time.
I do think all views on God should be regarded as theories, and agnosticism should be recognized as reality.

The assertion that to gain knowledge is to emulate God is a poisonous concept. As Paine wrote, "In the same manner as it may be said, that man can make a triangle, so also may it be said, he can make the mechanical instrument, called a lever. But the principle by which the lever acts, is a thing distinct from the instrument, and would exist if the instrument did not: it attaches itself to the instrument after it is made; the instrument therefore can act no otherwise than it does act; neither can all the effort of human invention make it act otherwise."

That is an important distinction that needs to be more widely known. We could not act as God no matter how hard we try, so there is no reason to limit ourselves.
Quote:
Thomas Paine's Deism, and the popular concept of Deism in the late 18th century, is a monotheistic religion that believes there is a benevolent god who has constructed the universe in a way that will naturally teach us and provide for us. It's very similar to the popular interpretation of Christianity that isn't very Christian at all, which is the belief that God has constructed the world and then stepped away from his creation, letting it do its thing.