Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: what age did you stop beleaving in the religion you where raised with?
10-15 65 31.55%
15-20 52 25.24%
20-35 22 10.68%
35-40 0 0%
40-50 1 0.49%
50+ 0 0%
dont remember 3 1.46%
never had religion 37 17.96%
im one of those pompus assholes who thinks i could make these decisions before age ten 12 5.83%
never stopped 14 6.80%
Voters: 206. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #71 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanvc76 View Post
Nobody actually believes in the FSM or the IPU - that is the whole point.
Speak for yourself.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #72 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ryan, nice avatar, though it looks a little like a Klingon badge.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:50 PM   #73 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
1 + 1 does not equal 3

That's all you get for now.

Well no, I can't be an ass. So here is another.

2 - 3 does not equal turnips

I could explain how that first quote applies to the idea of god, but as I said before... that's all you get for now.
The problem with making a claim about mathematics that is not widely known (and in fact is rather outlandish) is that you're probably going to be asked to prove it.

You made a statement that suggested that God is mathematically quantifiable. If this were true, it would change the whole way our universe is seen.

However, I have a feeling that you aren't able to prove the quantifiable existance of God, and maybe you heard/read that without thinking that you might be called upon to cite your source.

Either that or you think that every math problem we don't know the answer to is Jesus.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #74 (permalink)

This is the reason why I don't like to talk about religion.

When you strip away all the dogma, and the things we've been taught as kids belief in God comes down to something very simple. When you look inside yourself or at the world you either feel God's presense or you don't.

Frankly all the arguments with religious people trying to prove there is a God and athiests trying to prove there isn't a God are stupid and pointless. Religion is about faith. You have it or you don't and only you know if it is there.
Enter coupon code KATGforums to receive 10% off your order.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:48 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brotherdarkness View Post

BOW DOWN BEFORE THE ONE YOU SERVE
YOU'RE GOING TO GET WHAT YOU DESERVE
So that's what the Flying Spaghetti monster looks like. Ah, Flying Spaghetti monster. He always refills my ice tray when I'm not looking. Up until I moved out of my Dad's place, anyway. Wonder if he didn't get my new address...
Old 02-27-2009, 07:06 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuttle88 View Post
This is the reason why I don't like to talk about religion.

When you strip away all the dogma, and the things we've been taught as kids belief in God comes down to something very simple. When you look inside yourself or at the world you either feel God's presense or you don't.

Frankly all the arguments with religious people trying to prove there is a God and athiests trying to prove there isn't a God are stupid and pointless. Religion is about faith. You have it or you don't and only you know if it is there.
Religion is not about faith. Faith is a shitty construct of corrupt religions. Or, at least, I don't see how you can purport that atheists lack faith. The modern concept of faith is a shitty construct of corrupt religions.

The juvenile and repetitive religious discussions are a direct result of the oppressive nature of Christianity. 99% of people I talk to in this country are broken, in terms of how they view religion. The majority of people have not sat down and contemplated the idea of god with any sort of serious effort, but they've all made a decision as to what they believe. It's so bad that when I ask questions about the beliefs of the very lightest Christian, even they feel I am challenging their beliefs simply by making them ponder God.

There will not educated religious discussion in the masses until the militant religious forces are removed from the picture.

Last edited by Cretaceous Bob; 02-27-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Would it be accurate to say that you justify your belief in God by having faith that what you feel inside yourself is His presence?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Religion is not about faith. Faith is a shitty construct of corrupt religions. Or, at least, I don't see how you can purport that atheists lack faith. The modern concept of faith is a shitty construct of corrupt religions
I am not talking about religion. I'm talking about belief in God. And belief in god is absolutly based on faith. It's the belief, the trust , the certainty that a person has that there is a higher power. Whatever they believe in. I didn'tean to imply that athiests lack faith. Athiests have the same faith that god doesn't exist that a Christian has that god does.

I just don't think my faith in a lack of God gives me the right or the obligation to challenge anyone else.

My point is that what people believe is something only they know. When I look inside myself I do not feel God's presence and to me that means I don't believe in God. It doesn't mean God doesn't exist. Just that God doesn't exist for me
Old 02-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #79 (permalink)

In terms of existence, how one feels about something existing is moot as to whether or not it actually does.

^Now that I think about it; this might not be true. ignore this post.

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-27-2009 at 08:36 AM. Reason: recanting
Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not talking about religion. I'm talking about belief in God. And belief in god is absolutly based on faith. It's the belief, the trust , the certainty that a person has that there is a higher power. Whatever they believe in. I didn'tean to imply that athiests lack faith. Athiests have the same faith that god doesn't exist that a Christian has that god does.

I just don't think my faith in a lack of God gives me the right or the obligation to challenge anyone else.

My point is that what people believe is something only they know. When I look inside myself I do not feel God's presence and to me that means I don't believe in God. It doesn't mean God doesn't exist. Just that God doesn't exist for me
Are you saying that we can't progress in religious discussion beyond faith vs. faith?

It isn't just a question of God vs. no god. It isn't that at all, and that is not what the common religious discourse is in modern society. It is Christian God vs. no god, and it is that way because Christians have forced it to that position. The word God is synonymous with a benevolent god that tells people to write shit down, and that's not the limitations of the idea of god.

I agree that the matter of theist or atheist is largely innate and immutable, but there is so much more to religious discussions than just that. The fact of the matter is, being reasonable and respectful about others' religious beliefs mean, unless you belong to the majority belief, you will get trampled on and disrespected. That is, without question, a problem. We should be able to, as a society, recognize religious extremism and intolerance, and be able to restrict it.

It isn't healthy to just throw one's hands up in the air and claim that every religious viewpoint is on equal footing. The friend of mine who believes in a benevolent God, but respects others' beliefs is far less damaging to society than the aggressive Christian who viciously combats all opposing beliefs.