Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #2791 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
They do the giant guy who runs at you thing a bit too much but the combat is satisfying enough to let that pass. Are you going for the Riddler challenges first time around? I had a lot of fun exploring the nicely designed levels but had to remind myself to turn the detective mode off to look at how pretty everything is.

Awesome, TF2's a great (an extremely funny) game and really encourages working together. I think it's my favourite multiplayer games.

As for Torchlight, I figure i'll pick it up in the steam christmas sales.
I was kind of just doing the riddler challenges as I came across them, though it's a ton of fun just exploring the island so I may see how many I can get on my own. I'll have to see how it plays out further in the game, but honestly it reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime right now. And yeah, I keep forgetting I have the detective mode on. It's almost too easy to leave on all the time.

Does Steam usually have really good prices right after Christmas or something?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #2792 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatTheWeak View Post
standardman - neat! I was intrigued by that game, but I heard it was way buggy. Is that what the mod fixes? Have you had a lotta bugs while playing it?
It was an (extremely) rough diamond on release but the patches (patch up to 1.005) and the COMPLETE mod fix almost everything and bring a 2004 game up to date, while keeping the feel of the original. I used the mod as an excuse to play it all again and it was like a new game.

For later playthroughs, there's a mod called Oblivion Lost, which is a complete overall, making everything even harsher and less predictable, while adding some nice touches.

You can find it really cheap these days and you'll get a lot of play out of it.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #2793 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesusattack View Post
I was kind of just doing the riddler challenges as I came across them, though it's a ton of fun just exploring the island so I may see how many I can get on my own. I'll have to see how it plays out further in the game, but honestly it reminds me a lot of Metroid Prime right now. And yeah, I keep forgetting I have the detective mode on. It's almost too easy to leave on all the time.

Does Steam usually have really good prices right after Christmas or something?
It's definitely Metroid influenced (and let's face it, most games are), which means you go back to old areas a lot (and explore them later) so you can take your time with the challenges.

Steam has bananas sales at Christmas, even better than the weekend ones. I know people who haven't bought Left 4 Dead 2 because they're waiting on the Christmas sale, which is how I bought the first one.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #2794 (permalink)

Quote:
It's definitely Metroid influenced (and let's face it, most games are), which means you go back to old areas a lot (and explore them later) so you can take your time with the challenges.

Steam has bananas sales at Christmas, even better than the weekend ones. I know people who haven't bought Left 4 Dead 2 because they're waiting on the Christmas sale, which is how I bought the first one.
Have you played much L4D2? I downloaded the demo on 360 a couple of days ago, but meh. I can't say I like playing during the daytime as much as I saw in that demo. I was just wondering if the rest of the game is like that or if there's more nighttime stuff.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #2795 (permalink)

Quote:
Have you played much L4D2? I downloaded the demo on 360 a couple of days ago, but meh. I can't say I like playing during the daytime as much as I saw in that demo. I was just wondering if the rest of the game is like that or if there's more nighttime stuff.
Oh there's plenty of nightime too, they just showed off something different for the demo.

L4D2 is fantastic fun but I will say this - play it on a PC or don't bother. Beyond the usual controls, the game looks far better (the console version looks like the first game), runs smoother and people actually work as a fucking team. I swear Xbox Live is the worst online community I've ever come across - not the network itself but the people.

On steam, I've met some people just through the matchmaking who I've added to my friends list and now play with regularly on L4D2 and TF2 , they're both really rewarding games when a team comes together.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #2796 (permalink)

GOG.com are giving away the first two Tex Murphy games for free until the 24th.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #2797 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh there's plenty of nightime too, they just showed off something different for the demo.

L4D2 is fantastic fun but I will say this - play it on a PC or don't bother. Beyond the usual controls, the game looks far better (the console version looks like the first game), runs smoother and people actually work as a fucking team. I swear Xbox Live is the worst online community I've ever come across - not the network itself but the people.

On steam, I've met some people just through the matchmaking who I've added to my friends list and now play with regularly on L4D2 and TF2 , they're both really rewarding games when a team comes together.
Well, I can't quite figure out what's up with my laptop's video card. For whatever reason it says I can't run anything with a good 3D engine. It's an integrated card so I don't know if that has anything to do with it (I don't know much about graphics cards period), though system requirements lab says my video card surpasses all the recommended specs. I'd love to play L4D2 on my computer if I thought it wouldn't play like shit.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM   #2798 (permalink)

Quote:
Well, I can't quite figure out what's up with my laptop's video card. For whatever reason it says I can't run anything with a good 3D engine. It's an integrated card so I don't know if that has anything to do with it (I don't know much about graphics cards period), though system requirements lab says my video card surpasses all the recommended specs. I'd love to play L4D2 on my computer if I thought it wouldn't play like shit.
Yeah, that's it. I'd recommend this to see what you can play. The source engine is pretty scalable, though.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #2799 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, that's it. I'd recommend this to see what you can play. The source engine is pretty scalable, though.
Yeah, that's what I was saying. The system requirements lab says the only part of my laptop that doesn't pass for almost every game that I check (L4D2, Bioshock, Far Cry 2, even freaking Doom 3) is my graphics card, although it says my graphics card surpasses all the minimum specs. I don't get it.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #2800 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I was saying. The system requirements lab says the only part of my laptop that doesn't pass for almost every game that I check (L4D2, Bioshock, Far Cry 2, even freaking Doom 3) is my graphics card, although it says my graphics card surpasses all the minimum specs. I don't get it.
Oops, sorry, I missed that somehow. The difference is that, rather than having it's own RAM, it's using your system's RAM, which slows everything down to buggery.