Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #3661 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Looks like it was a competition thing.

Why not?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #3662 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealrob View Post
I've got it too...... maybe a little bit of both?
Just beat it and I'm still undecided. The combat is entirely too repetitive and the enemy range is to narrow. Little guys, little guys that throw shit, really fast little guys, and big guys with a mix of "Shit that flies at you" sprinkled throughout the game. The boss fights aren't any better with the majority of the bosses being a ultra-fast little guys with big guy health and pissed off farm equipment. The story line is pretty decent but the only reason the ending isn't horrible is because I know there's DLC coming out to continue the story and if it works anything like the episodes included on the disk it will pick up where the story left off at the end of the game.

Frankly this was a trap in which the only way to escape is by piling money up until you reach the top and I'm snared right in the fucking middle of it.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #3663 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
Just finished a gaming marathon.

Here was the setup:

23:00 yesterday until 16:00 today.

Sleep now.
What games did you have goin'?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #3664 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDown View Post
Playing Alan Wake at the moment. It's a lot like lost. There's a lot of smoke and I'm not sure if it's the best thing ever or if I hate it and everyone who had anything to do with it.

I've been playing that too, parts of the game I hate (like driving mechanics, never enough ammo or batteries) , but the game does have a very Lost/ Stephen King feeling to it, so I continue to play. The story is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Decided to try Assassin's Creed 2, even if i kinda disliked the first.

Loving it. The DRM is offensive, but the game has been turned exactly into everything i like in a modern action game.

It gets you into the story beautifully, withotu that annoying super stiff tutorial from the first. Here you get into the action right away.

It'varied and better handled. There isnt that annoying get orders/reach point/figt/go back of the first one.

Also, it looks magnificent. I'm probably biased because it depicts one of the most gorgeous periods of my country but they reconstructed the ancient florence and the look of renaissance italy, perfectly. Some shots are picture perfect. Nice research.

I guess i'll buy it.

Played that game for a few months last fall, it's fun and addictive, yet by the time you get most of the codex pages it got boring to me, even after buying the drm, never played that stupid area yet either, overall though it is fun and a good game, I just burnt myself out on it.

Besides playing Alan Wake, I've been playing Mass effect 2 as well (about a month longer) and it's pretty fucking cool with lots of fun shit to do (besides mining for elements)

If only they could release a new bioshock every few months or so.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #3665 (permalink)

Both Mass Effect games are amazing. It's as close as deep emotional sci-fi as you get. Apparently they want to make it into a movie. Hope not.

And dragon ages is even deeper. Not a fantasy fan, but that game seems more of an epic drama about society and human weakness that happens to feature dragons and dwarves, than a common RPG
Old 05-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #3666 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evadwolrab View Post
W-... why?

On your own? ... Why?
Lol, no. Four tvs/monitors, four 360s, four people.

Quote:
Looks like it was a competition thing.

Why not?
Why not indeed. It's something we do semi-regularly, my record is 28 hours of non-stop gaming, after which my mind broke and all the secrets of the universe were revealed to me and instantly forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepy View Post
What games did you have goin'?
In the screenshot, we're just warming up with (left to right) Bionic commando Rearmed, Left 4 Dead 2, Modern Warfare 2 and Fifa. Once we got going, we went multiplayer with GTA IV, Borderlands, more Left 4 Dead 2 and finished with Resident Evil 5 (which is a different game in co-op).

Quote:
Both Mass Effect games are amazing. It's as close as deep emotional sci-fi as you get. Apparently they want to make it into a movie. Hope not.

And dragon ages is even deeper. Not a fantasy fan, but that game seems more of an epic drama about society and human weakness that happens to feature dragons and dwarves, than a common RPG
As ever, you make me consider an interesting point. A lot is made of the genre or setting of an RPG but it's really just furniture - a good RPG is about characters, world(s) and decisions, the genre or setting just lets you explore them.

Which, now I think about it, is why I get bored with Japanese RPGs - all the creative attention and effort is spent the the ornate furniture.

Last edited by standardman; 05-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #3667 (permalink)

Too tired to post any gaming bargains but RPS has got your back The RPS Bargain Bucket: HOT | Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #3668 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diglass View Post
I've been playing that too, parts of the game I hate (like driving mechanics, never enough ammo or batteries) , but the game does have a very Lost/ Stephen King feeling to it, so I continue to play. The story is great.
Agreed with all except the "not enough ammo or batteries." I'm playing on hard and my inventory is either respectably full or completely full all the time haha. Honestly, other than repetative enemies mentioned by another KATGer, the over abundance of ammo REALLY takes the scare out of this game. Maybe nightmare is a little more difficult?

Red Dead Redemption is going well. Madeyeshawn - I will be posse-ing up with you in the near future. Maybe even tomorrow. I was on there today with a buddy and it was a friggin blast! Posse is the only way to play online.

Go Canada!
Old 05-23-2010, 02:02 AM   #3669 (permalink)

I more meant was it for charity or just for funzies, rather than WHY GOD WHY WOULD A HUMAN DO THAT?!

It's good to know you had other people there, because four consoles and four monitors is a really expensive/inefficient way of switching games.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #3670 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
As ever, you make me consider an interesting point. A lot is made of the genre or setting of an RPG but it's really just furniture - a good RPG is about characters, world(s) and decisions, the genre or setting just lets you explore them.

Which, now I think about it, is why I get bored with Japanese RPGs - all the creative attention and effort is spent the the ornate furniture.
That's because i am a genius.

I think that the reaction to the latest Bioware efforts is a testament to their great approach to their branch of games.

Anywhere else, you have developers who love to simplify their games and make them more and more about the looks or the adrenalin rushes than the power to take the player somewhere else. Nothing against adrenaline rushes, but even those have to be good or i get bored.

Both ME and DO have players debating their love for the characters, the decisions and the depth of the plot as much as the actual playing. And those same players approached ME2 with a religious zeal and with "IDONTWANT TOKNOWANYTHING" spirit that you see only for movies.

They got into the character of Tali, instead of the usual big boobed characters that teenage gamers have inconized in the past. A faceless alien. And all because her dialogue was natural enough to make her likeable.

The gameplay is amazing and simple enough to get you drawn into the games while still not making them simple or easy. And the story makes you feel like you HAVE to care about the characters.

Happened to me with Mass Effect 1 and 2 (maybe more 2) and it's happening again with DE. I shaped my main character exactly how i wanted him, by making him act and speak in a certain way and the virtyual world acts accordingly. Plus the characters have so many layer of depths, i dont ever know how any action will affect them or how they will act. Morrigan alone is a character of a complexity you rarely see.

Only Valve has done better with making me love a bunch of animated pixels. But.... i dont.... want... to.... think... about.... that.... (BUHUHUHUHUHUHUHUUUUUUU!!!!!)