Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 08-11-2010, 03:04 AM   #4121 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StasRox View Post
Bro, I fucking loved Final Fantasy tactics, I think as a kid I played through it 10 times, such a good game. The DS sequel isn't as good, but it's still fun. If you liked tactics you should defiantly play Fire emblem.
I'm with you there. I bought the DS game hoping for something similar, but the story line paled in comparison to the original's crazy-ass zodiac conspiracy thing. And I loved how seriously powerful all of your characters got by the end of the game, so you could just stomp around the battlefield bringing gigantic swords up out of the ground and killin' dudes. Awesome.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM   #4122 (permalink)

Uh, so that game that Ken Levine was working on?

Yeah.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 PM   #4123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post

Yeah.
Wow, out of all the games I was hoping it would be (System Shock 3...?), I never anticipated another Bioshock, especially one that looks like a pretty severe departure from the other two. Hell, I think Jeff Cannata on Weekend Confirmed last Friday was pitching Skyshock, a Bioshock-style game set in a city in the clouds. Crazy, and the game will probably be awesome, especially since it looks like it's set in the late 1800s frontier time. Can't wait!
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #4124 (permalink)

Quote:

Yeah.
This looks pretty bad ass, I loved the first two games, but I was assuming they would continue with the "under water" story line, unless this is just an expansion to the Bioshock world or a Prequel to the main storyline. Regardless, this looks aces ten and I'm excited.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #4125 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, it's from the same people who did the first BioShock.

I hear the special edition version is going to include your own inflatable zeppelin with gatling gun, room for three.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #4126 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

More like Biosuck, amirite?

I love love love the art direction in Bioshock...I love the future-retro cultural influence, I love the idea of it, but I just couldn't get into the game. Am I crazy? Should I give it another chance or does anyone else feel the same way? I played it for about 2 hours and just felt like I was being corralled from one scripted scene to the next...

That video for Bioshock Infinite looks so appealing but I'm afraid the same thing will happen.

I make videogames professionally and I think that has really ruined a lot of games for me. It must be taking the magic of the medium away because I am constantly analyzing them from a sort of engineering perspective, rather than as a spectator or player. I tend towards strategy games, or games where knowing the inner workings of everything is an advantage, rather than something that will detract from the experience. Maybe I'm just outgrowing some types of games.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:44 PM   #4127 (permalink)

That looked so awesome, that I'm thinking I need to give Bioshock another shot...I didn't like it at first, played it some more, then kinda liked it, but still wasn't won over by it...

another shot..maybe. Especially now that I can easily find a copy for like $18
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #4128 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StasRox View Post
This looks pretty bad ass, I loved the first two games, but I was assuming they would continue with the "under water" story line, unless this is just an expansion to the Bioshock world or a Prequel to the main storyline. Regardless, this looks aces ten and I'm excited.
This is the best news of the day!
Old 08-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #4129 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
That looked so awesome, that I'm thinking I need to give Bioshock another shot...I didn't like it at first, played it some more, then kinda liked it, but still wasn't won over by it...

another shot..maybe. Especially now that I can easily find a copy for like $18
well you have a while to play the first ones, this thing wont come out until 2012, at the earliest
Old 08-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #4130 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmpy View Post
I love love love the art direction in Bioshock...I love the future-retro cultural influence, I love the idea of it, but I just couldn't get into the game. Am I crazy? Should I give it another chance or does anyone else feel the same way? I played it for about 2 hours and just felt like I was being corralled from one scripted scene to the next...
I have to say, I mostly agree with you on this one. I enjoyed Bioshock 1 - didn't love it - and though Bio 2 was just very bland. And no, I couldn't really get into either of them. I know it's a thin comparison to make, but both Half-Lifes were essentially going from one pitched/scripted sequence to the next, but I couldn't get enough of it! Bioshock... there was just something about it that didn't connect with me - too transparent? It is a weird feeling when everyone else is praising the game, you know it has great technical qualities and story aspects, but for some reason, it just doesn't work on a personal level.

I also never fully appreciated the appeal of Fallout 3. I have the feeling that I too am "growing out of" certain games. There have been a few other people on this thread with pretty much the same comments, so there must be something to it. Let's just all agree that Civ 5 will be gaming gold.

Go Canada!