Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #4721 (permalink)

I wanted to check out Dragon Age for a while, finally picked it up, and I'm enthralled.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #4722 (permalink)

I got a few games a few days ago, though they're a bit old...I'm now playing:

Assassins Creed 1
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Red Faction Guerrilla
Watchmen: The End is Nigh

and being bored by Rainbow Six Vegas
and kinda not being pleased with Lord of the Rings: Conquest
Old 11-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #4723 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StereoKill View Post
Really hard to say just based on the fact that you're on the strip. I got their at around 10-15 hours. My buddy was going on around 40 before he decided to. A more accurate measurement would be from how long have you played already, what level are you, and where are you in the Mr.House questline? I reached level 30 just before beating the game and it took me a little over 50 hours.
Um...I've played for about 10 hours, I'm level 8 and I haven't even heard of Mr House really aside from some side comments. I like the combat and exploring in the game a lot, but something about the people really turns me off...maybe it's the uncanny valley or something but the whole world seems really lonely....(more than the desolate atmosphere should account for)
Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #4724 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmpy View Post
maybe it's the uncanny valley or something but the whole world seems really lonely....(more than the desolate atmosphere should account for)
This reminds me of my friend's girlfriend saying the game looked ugly, to whom I replied "you expect the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust to be pretty?"

So, basically, the same thing applies in your case.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:34 PM   #4725 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
This reminds me of my friend's girlfriend saying the game looked ugly, to whom I replied "you expect the aftermath of a nuclear holocaust to be pretty?"

So, basically, the same thing applies in your case.
Look up the definition of "Uncanny valley". It has nothing to do with scenery or your friends girlfriend. Its all about the unrealisticness of the AI in the game.

Also, your friend...and his girlfriend... are stupid.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #4726 (permalink)

Quote:
Look up the definition of "Uncanny valley". It has nothing to do with scenery or your friends girlfriend. Its all about the unrealisticness of the AI in the game.

Sorry I'm not hip to your nerd slang. My point still stands, though, and that was a pretty terrible reply.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #4727 (permalink)

Quote:

on their next project you should advise them on what's realistic in the aftermath of a nuclear apocalypse. clearly you know what it's like, having been in your mother's womb for 9 months.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:03 AM   #4728 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
Sorry I'm not hip to your nerd slang. My point still stands, though, and that was a pretty terrible reply.
Sorry, that was an uncharacteristically jerky reply from me. The problem I was talking about with the game wasn't the scenery or the story or the art direction. It's just something about the NPCs that makes them seem really fake (and therefore as though I'm playing in a world that is inhabited only by robots). I mean...I KNOW they are fake, but it's hard for me to suspend my disbelief.
The term "uncanny valley" refers to the following phenomenon: As representations of people go from unrealistic to photo-realistic, people tend to (naturally) respond to them more closely as they would to an actual person. However, there is a point where the representation is almost close enough to be mistaken for a real person, but off just slightly where the response dips really low.
So for example, you can watch a badly drawn cartoon and have no problem equating the characters with real life counterparts, but if the characters were almost (but not-quite) perfect it would be a lot more difficult.
Old 12-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #4729 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Super Meat Boy

Quick Capsule review.

Me: Ohhh, so classic looking. and simple controls. Insert coin!!! hahahahaha. neat.

(start)

Me after half an hour: MOTHERFUCKERRR! MOTHERFUCKIN SON OF A BITCHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! HOW THE FUCK? GODDMAN! (SLAM)

Me after many hours: i wont go to sleep... until.... i defeat this... level...

Rating: awesome
Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #4730 (permalink)

Hooked xbox controllers to my laptop and my laptop to a big TV so I have just been playing a SNES emulator, mainly Super Mario World, Super Punch Out, Turtles in Time or Contra 3 depending on who is about.