Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 03-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #4911 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealrob View Post
A buddy of mine said pretty much the exact same thing after picking up Borderlands. Sold it maybe 6 days after he got it. I totally get the point you guys make... and I'm honestly pretty surprised that a PvP mode/area wasn't included in any iteration of the release. Still, I freaking loved that game. It just never got repetitive for me. I do wish the difficulty had of been a little higher at points though, but it's only a minor gripe.
I bought it on PC through Steam, so unfortunately I couldn't sell/trade it in.

Yeah, some kind of PVP might have been neat using that engine, as long as it wasn't CoD 12049126509 style.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #4912 (permalink)

I just got a 3ds. If anyone else has one, toss me your friend code. Mine is 1418 6707 6823
I've only got SSF4 but I'm going to get pilot wings soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM   #4913 (permalink)

I'm playing Wii Sport, just got Pro on Tennis.

I'm such a dweeb.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #4914 (permalink)

I pulled Final Fantasy VI out of the stack of video games my roommate and I have last night, pretty cool. My only other FF experience is with 12, which is a very different beast. I feel like I might go on an old-school RPG binge.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:26 AM   #4915 (permalink)

Attempted to play Crysis 2 on it's home, the PC. I've never seen such a drastic turnaround for a series. I had to stop playing.

Press start
Press a button to slide
Press a button to cling to a ledge
Hold a button to melee attack
Press mouse 1 to crawl...
Press mouse 2 to crawl...
Press mouse 1 to crawl... (Couldn't I just hold forward?)
This is where you can flank!!! (big glowing yellow diamond)
This is where there's ammo!!! (big glowing yellow diamond)
This is where you can hide!!! (big glowing yellow diamond)

On top of that console nonsense, there are many places where the voice come up TELLING YOU WHICH BUTTON TO PRESS. Even worse, it'll stop the game and freeze you in place until you do press the button it told you, then hold you in place more until an enemy does a specific action, so the game can demonstrate it's point. Frequently PRESS F!!! will come up on the screen, and it'll pull your view away to something that's happening in the sky or somewhere else. Also, the previous four nanosuit powers have been changed to basically two. Q is armor and E is cloak (used to be lean out in every other FPS). Speed and strength are automatic, because four options for console players is too much, so fuck PC.

Seeing how poorly executed and dumbed down this was for consoles, I have a new appreciation for Valve games and they way they direct the player's view and never force anything on you. They port their games to console, not the other way around, and it shows.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #4916 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

the weird aspect of that is that ive been playing killzone 3 and its not like that at all. so its not like console=button mashing (well it often does but its not a given).

Bulletstorm seems to have a reasoned approach. thers the regualr game where you aim and ahoot and do fps shenanigans and then theres a few bits in between wehre you have to push buttons (that seem to have been placed there to please the slice of gamers that hate to have to actually do stuff, which for example was clearly the targfet for splinter cell conviction or black ops)
Old 03-31-2011, 12:16 PM   #4917 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
the weird aspect of that is that ive been playing killzone 3 and its not like that at all. so its not like console=button mashing (well it often does but its not a given).
No game has to be button mashing. It's just so obvious that the developers who do that are thinking "these people are so stupid/young, we have to hold their hands and over explain everything." If things require thought, stupid people won't play, and those are lost sales. Heaven forbid we have standards.

People are complaining about no DX11 on PC (deliberate, so it doesn't make consoles look worse), and reviewers aren't talking about how the game is a series of quicktime events.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM   #4918 (permalink)

agreed. still there are console games who dont do the excessive QTE thing (i used to think all console games were that way, until i played some good ones)

i trust your judgement on Crysis 2, you did some good calls in the past. weird that the weekend confirmed guys did not mention it (although they were polarized). they're not sellouts.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:54 PM   #4919 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
agreed. still there are console games who dont do the excessive QTE thing (i used to think all console games were that way, until i played some good ones)

i trust your judgement on Crysis 2, you did some good calls in the past. weird that the weekend confirmed guys did not mention it (although they were polarized). they're not sellouts.
I never heard of them. I think I just found it, a podcast? I'll have to subscribe.

On PC Gamer, I think one of the editor, Evan, was complaining about the armor tutorial. You walk up and they freeze you and give a speech about what armor does (does anyone not know what armor means?). Then everything in the game stops until you press Q. You're standing next to some explosive, so the game then waits for an enemy to shoot the explosive, which blows up next to you and doesn't kill you. Thanks "armor"!

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm ready to turn off a game right there for something like that. There was a time when games had a manual and I had fun reading through it. I'd know what every item and weapon did going in.

I'm not sure this will embed right, but skip to 5:40 to see the section I'm talking about. This annoying guy talking is not me. Keep in mind, the parts where's he's not moving, he's prevented from moving by the game.

YouTube - Crysis 2 Let's Play/Walkthrough Part 3: Maximum Armor

Keep watching for a couple minutes to see the hand holding further in the map where it says "tactical options". It's an overlay where it shows you exactly where to go, rather than have adults figure it out themselves. This isn't a one time tutorial either. Things like this come up through the entire game. It even tells you when to crouch and jump.
There's even a suit upgrade later to show you where enemies are shooting from and where they have/will be walking.

Sorry for the rant on this game. This degradation of my previous favorite hobby just infuriates me.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #4920 (permalink)

no sorry, i like gaming and consider it a creative medium so the cheapenbing is disgusting to me too.

weekend confirmed is pretty much the only gaming podcast i enjoy. it has the advantage of having likeable and funny hosts, one of which is jeff cannata, who also has a very close taste to mine.