Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 07-28-2011, 05:26 AM   #5071 (permalink)

Spending a lot of time on black ops. Add me if you're on the PSN thequestion6.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #5072 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cretaceous Bob View Post
Red Dead is fucking boring. The fundamental game design is the exact same game I've been playing since GTA 3.
"GTA in ______" is not a pejorative to me. I would love if they did a GTA Noire and I would play through it. Or GTA Medieval, or any GTA.

Plus they added Dead Eye, which was awesome. Except Level 2 Dead Eye, which I didn't know when it "upgraded" from lvl 1 to lvl 2. I'd go to save some dude getting attacked and would end up targeting the bad guys like 4 times each, their horses, my own horse, the dude I'm supposed to be saving, his wife, some animal running by, some kid in the background. Kill everybody and lose honor.

I could also do with less ranching, but at least that was mitigated by the NPCs finally driving from time to time, unlike in GTA 3/4.

Oh, and a final pet peeve is I hope the next GTA game will have a less linear story. For example, at some point I'm supposed to buy a mexican whore to save her, or leave. I shoot the guy so I can get the whore for free. I fail the mission because I killed her pimp? Why can't I be her pimp now and whore her out for my own profits and not have to pay for her? Then I finally pay for her, and she's like "thanks, I'm gonna go stay at a church now, bye" What the hell? Didn't I just buy her?

Last edited by DWarrior; 07-28-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:29 AM   #5073 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
"GTA in ______" is not a pejorative to me. I would love if they did a GTA Noire and I would play through it. Or GTA Medieval, or any GTA.

Plus they added Dead Eye, which was awesome. Except Level 2 Dead Eye, which I didn't know when it "upgraded" from lvl 1 to lvl 2. I'd go to save some dude getting attacked and would end up targeting the bad guys like 4 times each, their horses, my own horse, the dude I'm supposed to be saving, his wife, some animal running by, some kid in the background. Kill everybody and lose honor.

I could also do with less ranching, but at least that was mitigated by the NPCs finally driving from time to time, unlike in GTA 3/4.
My problem is all Rockstar's games have left anymore is what was in GTA 3. It completes the regression GTA IV started in shedding everything that was added over the years to GTA games and leaves me right back at GTA 3: a mediocre, boring, long-winded, soulless open world game. I loved Vice City and San Andreas for the heart, life, and fun they brought to the open world table that no one else was doing at the time. Even GTA 3, as boring as it was, was, at the time, doing something new.

There's nothing to do in that game but shoot people and listen to fuckers talk. Considering the past 5 years of game development have seen the greatest advancements in shooting people and listening to fuckers talk, Red Dead's rote combat and weak writing doesn't cut it.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #5074 (permalink)

I played through Infamous twice because I'm going to buy Infamous 2 soon. I beat it as a hero and as a villain. I have to say, it's by far my favorite game of the open city genre. The storyline was predictable, but put together very well.
It's definitely worth playing it through as good and evil. There's different interesting dialogue and you'll want to use the powers that are only for one karma set.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM   #5075 (permalink)

Quote:
My problem is all Rockstar's games have left anymore is what was in GTA 3. It completes the regression GTA IV started in shedding everything that was added over the years to GTA games and leaves me right back at GTA 3: a mediocre, boring, long-winded, soulless open world game. I loved Vice City and San Andreas for the heart, life, and fun they brought to the open world table that no one else was doing at the time. Even GTA 3, as boring as it was, was, at the time, doing something new.

There's nothing to do in that game but shoot people and listen to fuckers talk. Considering the past 5 years of game development have seen the greatest advancements in shooting people and listening to fuckers talk, Red Dead's rote combat and weak writing doesn't cut it.
I haven't played Red Dead yet but I was also disappointed with GTA4 it took me ages to work through the missions and I still haven't finished it as it just got too boring and repetitive. I loved the variety and freedom of San Andreas and feel it was a lot more fun, thought GTA4 was a bit of a step backwards in both those areas. Even though Just Cause 2 was also repetitive I played a heap more of that than GTA4 as it was a lot more interesting and more importantly fun!

Also I loved Infamous as well and did play through first as a bad guy then a good guy, can't wait to play Infamous 2 once the price has come down a bit.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #5076 (permalink)

broke out Master of Magic again, such a great game, can someone please make a good modern sequel. Or suggest other alternatives.

Haven't played Infamous, but I did enjoy Prototype. It's one of those games that's really fun at first just because of all the things you can do and how powerful you are, but eventually the only way you are ever in danger is if you get caught in a full on warzone (which you can easily jump and fly away from).
Old 08-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #5077 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZHippo View Post
I haven't played Red Dead yet but I was also disappointed with GTA4 it took me ages to work through the missions and I still haven't finished it as it just got too boring and repetitive. I loved the variety and freedom of San Andreas and feel it was a lot more fun, thought GTA4 was a bit of a step backwards in both those areas. Even though Just Cause 2 was also repetitive I played a heap more of that than GTA4 as it was a lot more interesting and more importantly fun!
I might advise not playing Red Dead then. I love the Western genre, but this game is incredibly repetitive and the writing as unpalatable.

Literally every mission is go to a place so that you can ride on your horse to another place, where you shoot 50 dudes in the face and then get dumped nowhere convenient to just starting the next mission.

GTA4 at least had different modes of transportation and buildings and more weapon variety.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #5078 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, RDR will suck. Ranching sucks, and the side missions are just ride->lasso a dude->bring him back. If you kill said dude, you earn less money.

Unless you enjoy lassoing dudes and herding cattle, then RDR will be fun.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #5079 (permalink)

Quote:
I might advise not playing Red Dead then. I love the Western genre, but this game is incredibly repetitive and the writing as unpalatable.

Literally every mission is go to a place so that you can ride on your horse to another place, where you shoot 50 dudes in the face and then get dumped nowhere convenient to just starting the next mission.

GTA4 at least had different modes of transportation and buildings and more weapon variety.
I wasn't really that bored with the story, it had some good moments. The end of that flower-picking mission and the horse guy were notable.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #5080 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I wasn't really that bored with the story, it had some good moments. The end of that flower-picking mission and the horse guy were notable.
I waited longer to start skipping cuts scenes in RDR then I typically do for other games. Watching TV while playing X-box makes me more able to play thru the boring parts, but eventually I can't be bothered to flip which TV is muted, so I end up skipping story elements. I'm still not super sure why I gunned down that old guy at the river at the end.