Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Talk Shite (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   What Game Are You Playing At The Moment? (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f6/what-game-you-playing-moment-11053/)

serial_x 08-20-2008 05:49 AM

What Game Are You Playing At The Moment?

My Xbox 360 has been out of it's box for roughly a week now and, even though it's only hooked up to my crappy SD TV, i'm thoroughly impressed.

Anyways, this is slightly copied off standardman's movie thread but i thought it may be good to have a thread to talk games without it turning into a console vs console war.

I've finished the main missions of Saint's Row, with only Activities to do now and i started on Condemned a few nights ago. After i'm finished having the shit scared out of me with Condemned, i'll be starting on Battlefield: Bad Company which i bought today. I'm not much for war games but the demo for BF: BC was quite fun... reminded me of Full Metal Jacket.

What game are you playing at the moment? Any console, it doesn't matter.

motownguy 08-20-2008 05:52 AM

Microsoft Outlook ... the game is "Which Meeting Can I Move." I play it every now and then when my best customer says, "can we do our meeting at the bar at 3:30?"

Bebe 08-20-2008 07:20 AM

Super Mario Galaxy.

StereoKill 08-20-2008 07:55 AM

Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Geometry Wars Evolved 2. Geometry Wars is especially addicting...:D

standardman 08-20-2008 08:11 AM

Nice idea, may as well use this thread to talk about a game I'm more than little obsessed with at the moment.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. I blame my fascination with Chernobyl on the movie and book this game is based on so buying it was automatic.

The game itself is a flawed gem - it's atmosphere is unparalleled and it's large areas, population of different factions and day/night/weather cycles make it feel persistent. Unfortunately, it's also very buggy.

To remedy this I'm using the mod Oblivion Lost, which takes Oblivion as an inspiration and makes the game completely non-linear with non-playable characters having their own behavior; organising groups for raids and exploration, nuclear blowouts can happen at any time, nights are scarier, the wildlife is more vicious and it's a generally improved and more hostile experience.

Upon starting a new game with this mod, I played like I did the first time, merrily setting out with my pistol and low body armor to explore. I got killed fast.

The second time, I waited in the small abandoned village some Stalkers used as a makeshift base until bandits attacked. After the Stalkers in residence fended the bandits off, I took weapons and supplies from the dead and tagged along for a raid. I defend myself against packs of mutated wild dogs and cats and watched for anomalies as it started to rain, occasionally meeting other groups going about their business - some friendly, others hostile.

The raid itself was easy as my quarry's focus was on the wildlife that had started to get closer to the disused housing they called a base - a few grenades and we were free to take the supplies we needed, the remaining animals fought amongst themselves.

Once the raid was over and rain had cleared, I heard gunfire and shouting brake out in the distance. Running over a train track toward the sound, I saw a conflict between two factions in and around a dilapidated farmhouse. After watching for a while, I decided to align myself with one side and joined in.

Gunfights in STALKER are brutal and unforgiving, enemies outflank you and yell to each other in Russian, a well-placed shot can kill you and wounds must be bandaged else you'll bleed to death. I decided to use the faction I was 'helping' as a distraction and got to high ground, from there I picked off anyone who ventured out of cover as the gunfight raged below. Eventually, no Stalkers were left and I scavenged what I could carry from the bodies, selling it on for money to buy anti-rad, food and better armor.

I stopped at a campsite for the night and watched my fellow Stalkers sing Russian folk songs around the fire and play guitar, occasionally stopping to defend against mutants and bandits. At dawn I set off to explore The Zone.

TL;DR - it's good.

serial_x 08-20-2008 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StereoKill (Post 440947)
Bionic Commando: Rearmed and Geometry Wars Evolved 2. Geometry Wars is especially addicting...:D

Geometry Wars is insane, that and Hexic HD i could play for hours. However Geometry Wars makes one of my kittens go insane for some reason, so i can only play it until he realises it's on then he bounces around in front of the screen which is highly distracting.

motownguy 08-20-2008 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standardman (Post 440951)
Nice idea, may as well use this thread to talk about a game I'm more than little obsessed with at the moment.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. I blame my fascination with Chernobyl on the movie and book this game is based on so buying it was automatic. At dawn I set off to explore The Zone.

TL;DR - it's good.

Sounds like fun ...

standardman 08-20-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motownguy (Post 440955)
live in Russia

I don't think there's many comic book stores in Chernobyl.

Ironman Bobby 08-20-2008 08:25 AM

Final Fantasy IV DS
Desktop tower Defense
madden 09
make up work for myself so i dont get fired
Trukz

stalker clear skies comes out soon!

darksun3173 08-20-2008 08:27 AM

Games

World of Warcraft....I'm gearing up for the new expansion pack.

standardman 08-20-2008 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironman Bobby (Post 440959)
stalker clear skies comes out soon!

Already got my preorder in place!

It's been gawping at those videos - looks great.

serial_x 08-20-2008 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standardman (Post 440969)
It's been gawping at those videos - looks great.

Seconded! That looks fucking incredible.

standardman 08-20-2008 08:43 AM

There's a bunch more videos here of gameplay etc.

sluggo916 08-20-2008 08:53 AM

I have been playing Mass Effect & FEAR.

Fallout 3 comes out soon.

lebowski 08-20-2008 09:13 AM

The Original Metal Gear Solid

Babbling Bryan 08-20-2008 09:37 AM

I only play ds (and the occasional Brawl on my Wii).

I'm thinking of getting an R4, cause that would instantly get me games like
Ouendan 2, Elite Beat Agents, Geometry Wars, Cooking Mama 2..
Anybody got any tips on the ds?

Atm I enjoy myself with Ouendan (1), Prof Layton and Ninja Gaiden.

Also can anyone get me an R4 (or M3) for like 20/30 bucks?

pinoy0004 08-20-2008 09:58 AM

I've been playing PixelJunk Eden most recently.

standardman 08-20-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babbling Bryan (Post 440992)
I only play ds (and the occasional Brawl on my Wii).

I'm thinking of getting an R4, cause that would instantly get me games like
Ouendan 2, Elite Beat Agents, Geometry Wars, Cooking Mama 2..
Anybody got any tips on the ds?

Atm I enjoy myself with Ouendan (1), Prof Layton and Ninja Gaiden.

Also can anyone get me an R4 (or M3) for like 20/30 bucks?

Remember that you need to buy the micro sd card too. I'd recommend the M3 over the R4. The M3 supports high capacity cards, the R4 doesn't and it has a nicer UI too. It's not cheap, but it's cheaper than the games.

lebowski 08-20-2008 10:15 AM

Good luck finding either in stock. I settled on a TStoy.

jeffdrafttech 08-20-2008 11:47 AM

Resident evil 4 on gamecube.

It's the first non-arcade game I have ever really enjoyed (usually I stick to galaga, sports, or race driving games). Someone recommended it to another person on a different thread.

I previously bought a PS2 and the thug game, a war game, and a monster game (all were top rated at amazon), and I gave it to someone who would actualy play it. I hated all of the ps2 games I tried accept for Grand Torizmo but I didn't like playing it with a 4-way pad either.

If anyone wants to buy a game system but is cheap like me: gamecube is easy to find for $40 and the games are really easy to find for $15. You people that pay $300 for a console and $60 for games are on crack.

Game cube rocks.

lebowski 08-20-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech (Post 441042)
Resident evil 4 on gamecube.

It's the first non-arcade game I have ever really enjoyed (usually I stick to galaga, sports, or race driving games). Someone recommended it to another person on a different thread.

I previously bought a PS2 and the thug game, a war game, and a monster game (all were top rated at amazon), and I gave it to someone who would actualy play it. I hated all of the ps2 games I tried accept for Grand Torizmo but I didn't like playing it with a 4-way pad either.

If anyone wants to buy a game system but is cheap like me: gamecube is easy to find for $40 and the games are really easy to find for $15. You people that pay $300 for a console and $60 for games are on crack.

Game cube rocks.

If video games are Crack, then the Gamecube is Heroin, the cheapest out there. The more advanced crackheads prefer Cocaine, or Special K. (PS3 or 360)

standardman 08-20-2008 12:11 PM

I love the gamecube, so many great games and a convient handle.

serial_x 08-20-2008 12:19 PM

I still whip my Dreamcast out every now and then. I keep telling myself it'll be a collectors item some day like an Atari or Commodore 64. I doubt it will though. Anything that can end the console making days of a company probably isn't a good thing.

standardman 08-20-2008 12:21 PM

The Dreamcast didn't fail, we failed the Dreamcast.

TeddyPicker 08-20-2008 12:24 PM

The masturbating game.

standardman 08-20-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeddyPicker (Post 441065)
The masturbating game.

Any interest in multiplayer?

lebowski 08-20-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

The masturbating game.

How do you lose?

serial_x 08-20-2008 12:32 PM

Quote:

The masturbating game.

Be prepared, i may shoot you in the face.

hellbent 08-20-2008 12:44 PM

goddamn EA. every game they make that i buy is broken. was playing C&C3: Kanes Wrath, it took them 3 months to release a megapatch that fixed several game breaking issues. I bought Mass Effect for PC, install. patch. add content patch. start game; game crashes. google for fixes, game crashes a little later. contact support, they tell me to uninstall, remove registry entries, reinstall. <grrrrrrrrrr>
So now I'm playing Army of 2 for PS3 (that I got on gamefly), TF2 on PC, Izuna 2 on DS, and Aurora Feint on iphone.

standardman 08-20-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellbent (Post 441085)
goddamn EA. every game they make that i buy is broken. was playing C&C3: Kanes Wrath, it took them 3 months to release a megapatch that fixed several game breaking issues. I bought Mass Effect for PC, install. patch. add content patch. start game; game crashes. google for fixes, game crashes a little later. contact support, they tell me to uninstall, remove registry entries, reinstall. <grrrrrrrrrr>
So now I'm playing Army of 2 for PS3 (that I got on gamefly), TF2 on PC, Izuna 2 on DS, and Aurora Feint on iphone.

Yeah EA have crushed far too many great developers, such a shame. They seem to be getting better recently though.

craig0r 08-20-2008 12:55 PM

NERDS!!!!

And at the risk of being a hypocrate, me and my friend have been trying to beat Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks on PS2 for months. Thing is, we don't live near each other, so our gaming session are few and far betwee. We've been stuck at the last boss for some time now.

I really blame Mike. He needs to learn to back the fuck off. Shao Khan starts swinging that giant hammer around and kicks his ass.

By the way, if you're reading this thinking "hey, I should play that game" you are wrong. It is a terrible game.

One thing very interesting about it though is the random movie references in it. I think it's Reptile, when you kill him, he falls into a pit of lava, and his hand gives the thumbs-up as it slowly sinks in, like in Terminator 2. And Shao Khan (KHAAAAAAAN!) shoots these green fireballs that look and sound exactly like Klingon photon torpedos.

Yep, you guys are all nerds.

lebowski 08-20-2008 12:56 PM

NHL 08 loads slow as hell, and when you go to multiplayer it forces you to check for rosters and then says you are signed out of PSN. It does this everything single time, so you have to do this once to play a game. They still haven't fixed it. On top of that Madden 09 just randomly freezes, no patch out for that yet either. I hate EA so much.

serial_x 08-20-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig0r (Post 441095)
NERDS!!!!

And at the risk of being a hypocrate, me and my friend have been trying to beat Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks on PS2 for months. Thing is, we don't live near each other, so our gaming session are few and far betwee. We've been stuck at the last boss for some time now.

I really blame Mike. He needs to learn to back the fuck off. Shao Khan starts swinging that giant hammer around and kicks his ass.

By the way, if you're reading this thinking "hey, I should play that game" you are wrong. It is a terrible game.

One thing very interesting about it though is the random movie references in it. I think it's Reptile, when you kill him, he falls into a pit of lava, and his hand gives the thumbs-up as it slowly sinks in, like in Terminator 2. And Shao Khan (KHAAAAAAAN!) shoots these green fireballs that look and sound exactly like Klingon photon torpedos.

Yep, you guys are all nerds.

Sorry, your spit slurp was distracting me :)

craig0r 08-20-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial_x (Post 441099)
Sorry, your spit slurp was distracting me :)

Touche, sir.

I never said I wasn't a nerd. I'm a huge fuckin' nerd.

serial_x 08-20-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craig0r (Post 441104)
Touche, sir.

I never said I wasn't a nerd. I'm a huge fuckin' nerd.

I guess anyone posting in this thread has a closet nerd hiding inside them.

craig0r 08-20-2008 01:08 PM

Well, they are posting on internet forums after all. :cool:

motownguy 08-21-2008 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by standardman (Post 440957)
I don't think there's many comic book stores in Chernobyl.

A fair statement ... what sort of system are you playing this game on?

dEadERest 08-21-2008 08:26 AM

Trukz. And acoustic guitar anti-hero. I must admit I do daydream about my w0w toons, I won't play again until the fall.

Uncast 08-21-2008 11:30 AM

Well right now I'm playing a rousing game of how much can I goof off at work without getting caught. Earlier I played a little speed racing and mob wars on Facebook and later I plan on a nice rousing game of keep away using a 20-sided die and a couple of nerds. I like to watch them beg before I chuck it down the road.

motownguy 08-21-2008 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncast (Post 441487)
Well right now I'm playing a rousing game of how much can I goof off at work without getting caught. Earlier I played a little speed racing and mob wars on Facebook and later I plan on a nice rousing game of keep away using a 20-sided die and a couple of nerds. I like to watch them beg before I chuck it down the road.

;-)