Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 02-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #3131 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Finished Bioshock 2. Too short, i'd say it's about half the length of B1.

Besides that, the story really gets great in the final act. Adult storytrlling, as far from a brainless game as you can get. 99% of the final act will fly over the head of the average gamer.

And it's beautifully heartbreaking. Between ME2 and this, i'm spoiled.
I didn't think it was "that" short. To me it felt like the length of the first one.

I agree it was beautifully heartbreaking, on my "hard" playthough I was able to reflect on previous audio diaries from earlier in the game, like the fate of Mark Meltzer.

I'm on my 3rd playthrough, getting the last of the single player trophies that I missed and I just harvested my first little sister, harvesting little sisters make me feel like dirt.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #3132 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Harvesting is nearly impossible in this one, They look too much like real kids. They dont even have that zombie-ness they had in the first one.

Also SPOILERWHITE: When in the end it's a beautiful story about a weird father and his lovely child, going against all odds to be together, being a harvester would be quite repulsive

Non- spoilering note: Sophia Lamb is an incredibly scary anatagonist. She's not as larger than life as Ryan, but she's far more menacing and dark. In the end some of her scenes and the lines she uttered gave me the chills, litterally.

One thumb and a drill up.

Last edited by Junkenstein; 02-20-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #3133 (permalink)

Mass effect 2 end

SPOILER You need to select your team correctly. I sent legion through the pipes, morden back with the crew and samara to do the biotic shield. I had legion and jack with me on the final run. I always picked Garrus to lead the second team. If you dont have your ship fully upgraded, then you will lose 1 character for each upgrade you didn't do. Characters are also far less likely to make it through if they aren't loyal, however they can still make it as long as you have the ship upgraded and make the correct team choices.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:44 AM   #3134 (permalink)

I've been playing with Shattered Horizons. I bought it in the steam sales a while back and thought the free weekend would be a good time to jump in.

It's a team-based multiplayer FPS set in space, and I don't mean in the corridors of a spaceship - you're in a spacesuit, with a rifle, grenade launcher and a jetpack in SPACE - there's no gravity, no up or down.

All this takes some getting used to but thankfully there are flight servers when you can get used to using your jetpack, rotating yourself and using the magnetic boots without someone punching holes in your shiny and life preserving spacesuit.

It's unlike anything I've ever played - I stormed a control point with three others, landing on a spacestation on a fragment of a smashed moon. One of my teamates landed and ran across the ground, I took to the ceiling and we ran together, realising that there really was no floor or ceiling and it's all perception as someone else floated though the corridor, spinning freely while using his jetpack.

It seems to be mostly set in and around these kind of environments - buildings built on rock that used to be attached to the shattered moon on the titular horizon but my favourite level was a huge satellite.

This was just team deathmatch, taking place inside and on the surface of the satellite as well as in space and on the occasional bit of floating rock or debris. I decided to see if I could sneak closer to their side of the structure and discovered the silent running mode.

The blue lights that identify my team on my suit blink off, my HUD tells me that my sound simulation is being turned off as the HUD itself shuts down and it's just me, dark against the black of space hearing only myself breathe inside my helmet as I drift down the main 'tunnel' of the huge satellite towards the enemy base. I can see my blue team and the yellow team trading fire around me and out in space but don't want to reveal my position so I just watch in silence as muzzle flashes, suit lights and jetpack thrusts light up the satellite and hope I'm not seen by enemies that fly too close for comfort.

Getting close to the base, I maneuver underneath their spawn point and lock my magnetic boots on to the surface, standing what subjectively feels like upside-down. This causes my suit to power up (and light up) and I hope I'm well covered as I aim above my head and bring up my scope now that I have some footing. Within seconds, three of the yellow team leave the base, travelling away from me and back to where I came from. I aim and fire, shattering the first enemy's helmet, I hit the second enemy in his jet pack, which explodes and throws his body through space. The third has me, points his grenade launcher and hits me with an EMP, shutting down my suit and my magnetic boots as I drift off into the newly alerted team's gunfire.

It's a little light on content and the learning curse is steep but it's a beautiful, atmospheric shooter unlike any other and I recommend you try out the free end and pick it up while it's cheap.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #3135 (permalink)

One says to himself: "Well i need to distract myself for half an hour before going out, i'll play a bit of ole good Half Life 2. It wont hurt"

Then 2 hour have passed, the phone is ringing and you have lost track of yourself...

Sigh, Valve...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #3136 (permalink)

I can't just dip in to HL2 because I know that 1) I'll play it all 2) I'll play the episodes too 3) I'll spend the next week on Gmod.

SPEAKING OF LOST TIME, if you sign up for a free Pop Cap passport thing, you get Peggle Nights on PC or Mac for free to gift to someone (or yourself).

For some reason I can only find the PSN trailer:

Peggle is wonderful, and I apologise for the giant drop in productively you're about to experience.

Last edited by standardman; 02-20-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:38 AM   #3137 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I can't just dip in to HL2 because I know that 1) I'll play it all 2) I'll play the episodes too 3) I'll spend the next week on Gmod.

SPEAKING OF LOST TIME, if you sign up for a free Pop Cap passport thing, you get Peggle Nights on PC or Mac for free to gift to someone (or yourself).

For some reason I can only find the PSN trailer:

Peggle is wonderful, and I apologise for the giant drop in productively you're about to experience.
Thanks dude, just sent this to the girl!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 AM   #3138 (permalink)

finishing up MW2 (xbox360) on veteran before moving on to aliens vs predator (ps3)
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM   #3139 (permalink)

Alternating between Arkam Asylum and Grand Theft Auto 4.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #3140 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
I can't just dip in to HL2 because I know that 1) I'll play it all 2) I'll play the episodes too 3) I'll spend the next week on Gmod..
I could say that even after all those years HL2 is probably as close to a perfect game as you can play.

It has the putrid yet perfecytly clean atmosphere down pat (That atmosphere thatp's omnipresent in District 9's Johannisburg)

It doesnt have a dull moment. It goes like rocket on coffe from the first scene to the ending.

It still looks cool as hell.

And, mostly, it has the most simple yet inhumanly cool playable main charcter in the story of gaming. Valve makes you a silent unassuming being but makes you do incredibly intelligent yet uber-brutal stuff. You blow up stuff, but you always do it in a clever and hilarious way (my favourites are still freeing the road from obstacles with the gravity gun, or smashing people to a pulp with a working crane...)

Freeman has zero stuff yet is the ultimate badass with a simple croiwbar and a few crates.

Also, alyx has a nice ass.