Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 08-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #4191 (permalink)

Replaying Bioshock. I still freak out every time I see a Big Daddy.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #4192 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Is Moore View Post
Replaying Bioshock. I still freak out every time I see a Big Daddy.
Hell yeah! Big Daddies! I'm not even sure how I feel about Bioshock, but Big Daddies are easily one of my favorite video game characters EVER.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 PM   #4193 (permalink)

It's not a flaw, holding the power button tells it to check for a different output. It's so you can save settings for more obscure outputs.

I guess you could argue that it should scan every time you turn it on, but I'd prefer to be in control.

It's not a flaw, it's a feature. YOU'RE HOLDING IT WRONG.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:37 AM   #4194 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chmpy View Post
I have a PC gaming question for anyone out there....

I'm looking for a very-specific game that may not exist. I used to play tabletop Warhammer (regular, not 40K) and I'm looking for a similar experience. So the game I'm looking for is a Fantasy war-simulator. It MUST be turn-based. It MUST be troop-based (not just a bunch of 'heros' walking around fighting).

There was recently a Blood-Bowl game released that plays very similarly to the tabletop version, that's what Im looking for in a Warhammer version (or something VERY similar). Anyone know of anything like that? Do I need to make this game myself?!
Sounds like it could be Masters of Magic (one of the best games ever), which is an old favorite of mine that I recently installed on my PC. In fact, this Elemental WoM game is suppose to be a psuedo-sequel to it. I'm planning on getting it as soon as it comes out, along with Dead Rising 2 to round out my video game purchases for the near future.

Why does everyone get so hot and bothered over Dragon Age? I admit I'm more into leveling up and powers when it comes to RPG's (which, imo, is shit in this game). The good/bad character development is neat (way better then Fable) but I do not have the conviction to run around a game world and talk to every single NPC and wade thru so much dialogue. I end up mashing buttons to skip the minutes of reading, then try to figure out what's going on by the last statement. Hope this monotany will be fixed in the sequel.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #4195 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Sounds like it could be Masters of Magic (one of the best games ever), which is an old favorite of mine that I recently installed on my PC.
Nope! (although Masters of Magic is one of the best games ever!) I've actually been doing a lot of research over the past few days and I don't think anyone ever made the type of game I'm looking for.

Essentially I want a tabletop fantasy-wargame experience in computer form...but everything I find that even comes close is either real-time, or much too 'video game-y' with scripted story-modes and limited freedom, etc. I've always kind of played around with the idea of making that type of game myself though so maybe I will just have to knuckle-down and get coding.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #4196 (permalink)

Quote:
I've always kind of played around with the idea of making that type of game myself though so maybe I will just have to knuckle-down and get coding.
Well, I got dibs first pre-order.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #4197 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like it could be Masters of Magic (one of the best games ever), which is an old favorite of mine that I recently installed on my PC. In fact, this Elemental WoM game is suppose to be a psuedo-sequel to it. I'm planning on getting it as soon as it comes out, along with Dead Rising 2 to round out my video game purchases for the near future.

Why does everyone get so hot and bothered over Dragon Age? I admit I'm more into leveling up and powers when it comes to RPG's (which, imo, is shit in this game). The good/bad character development is neat (way better then Fable) but I do not have the conviction to run around a game world and talk to every single NPC and wade thru so much dialogue. I end up mashing buttons to skip the minutes of reading, then try to figure out what's going on by the last statement. Hope this monotany will be fixed in the sequel.
If you're skipping the writing then I'm not surprised you don't like it.

Quote:
Nope! (although Masters of Magic is one of the best games ever!) I've actually been doing a lot of research over the past few days and I don't think anyone ever made the type of game I'm looking for.

Essentially I want a tabletop fantasy-wargame experience in computer form...but everything I find that even comes close is either real-time, or much too 'video game-y' with scripted story-modes and limited freedom, etc. I've always kind of played around with the idea of making that type of game myself though so maybe I will just have to knuckle-down and get coding.

Thanks for the suggestions though!
The closest fit I can think is of the Heroes of Might and Magic series or King's Bounty. Not completely what you're looking for but close and both bloody good and quite cheap.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #4198 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
If you're skipping the writing then I'm not surprised you don't like it.
Yeah, I bought it on a whim, cause it was Best RPG of whatever Year, if I would have done some research I would have known it wasn't for me. I think some of these games should have an extra description, like "story-driven RPG" so I know to skip it. I'm just simply more interested in game-play, tactics and ability development when it comes to RPG's, of any type, possibly a reason why I love Masters of Magic.

Edit: In reference to Dragon Age

Last edited by Medium Brumski; 08-17-2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:39 PM   #4199 (permalink)
47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Yeah, I bought it on a whim, cause it was Best RPG of whatever Year, if I would have done some research I would have known it wasn't for me. I think some of these games should have an extra description, like "story-driven RPG" so I know to skip it. I'm just simply more interested in game-play, tactics and ability development when it comes to RPG's, of any type, possibly a reason why I love Masters of Magic.
I'm with you, man. Aside from a few exceptions I'm always more about the gameplay, exploration, etc than the story. If the world is random or actually changes based on random events then so much the better.
You should check out Mount and Blade if you haven't already, there is a demo available that is completely unrestricted except your character stops leveling after a certain level cap. It's REALLY light on story and has a really nice feeling combat system. The world is huge, you can pretty much do whatever you want (which is sometimes frustrating if you feel like you need some kind of direction...). It is an indie game and takes a little suspension of disbelief to get into at times, but I highly recommend it for people who want an RPG but don't want to get led around on a leash. (Or multiple choose-your-own leashes even)
Old 08-17-2010, 02:49 PM   #4200 (permalink)

Speaking of action RPGs, Borderlands is on sale on steam.

66% off the game (£6.79), DLC (£2.14 each) and the four-pack (£20.38).

Anyone interested in the four-pack? Works out at just over £5 or $7.65ish