Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree37Likes

Old 10-06-2010, 07:10 PM   #81 (permalink)

The Shawl by Cynthia Ozick

Probably closer to a short story than a book, it's only about 60-70 pages long, but it's a pretty good story about a traumatized holocaust survivor's inability to assimilate into society once she's moved to America with her niece, after being in a concentration camp and having her child killed before her eyes (in a kind of epic way).
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #82 (permalink)

World War Z by Max Brooks

It's a fictional post-zombie apocalypse narrative detailing how people survived and rebuilt after the zombie uprising,

The thing I liked about this book was that the major events of the zombie apocalypse were discussed from the viewpoint of individuals. It's a bit funny, a bit sad and overall, a wonderful story. I highly recommend it.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhatch View Post
So, I took a break from Neuromancer to read more crazy science-fiction. "A Boy and His Dog": Fucking shit, Harlan Ellison. I loved it.
Have you seen the movie starring Don Johnson? I saw it when I was about thirteen. Twisted my head up pretty good!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:06 PM   #84 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
I agree with that one. I read that with the Power of One at the same time.

I've started The Kite Runner and love it so far. I started the Life of Pi, but I can't get past him on the raft.

I have a huge romanticism with books, and have a number unfinished but I find holding books hurts quite a bit since I got so sick.
If you have an iPhone , droid or blackberry, you can get software to read on those. It's pretty easy to find ebooks and not too bad to read that way. I like paper books but this way I can take a book with me anywhere. Just sayin'.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:46 AM   #85 (permalink)

Finished The Case of Comrade Tulayev by Victor Serge (the first Soviet writer to call the Stalin regime "totalitarian") offers a lot insight into the purges of prominent party leaders and the Soviet zeitgeist of the late 30s. Also read James Jones' From Here to Eternity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
The Shawl by Cynthia Ozick

Probably closer to a short story than a book, it's only about 60-70 pages long, but it's a pretty good story about a traumatized holocaust survivor's inability to assimilate into society once she's moved to America with her niece, after being in a concentration camp and having her child killed before her eyes (in a kind of epic way).
Read this a few months ago. I must admit I take issue with non-survivors treating the Holocaust as a literary genre. Ozick seems like a fine writer but, aside from my complaint, the topic is well trod by now.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 AM   #86 (permalink)

Just finished the Dresden Files. Good series, starts out really dark, gets a bit lighter, but awesome ending for the latest book.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #87 (permalink)

Old Man's War, by John Scalzi--great hard military sci-fi.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #88 (permalink)

Recently finished 'The Rings of Saturn' by the late (brilliant) W.G. Sebald -- also enjoyed 'Loving' by Henry Green and 'Là-Bas' by Joris-Karl Huysmans last month.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #89 (permalink)

Recent

Grwoing up on methamphetamines by nic sheff. An elaborate, possibly slightly exaggerated biography of a fucked up kid. Very interesting. Definitely may reconsider hard drugs and if you've ever done them before may have a relapse.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #90 (permalink)

Read Palace Walk by the great Naguib Mahfouz. It follows the lives of an Egyptian family living under the rule of their heavy handed patriarch, Al-Sayyid Ahmad, during the political upheavals and events surrounding the Great War and the Egyptian nationalist revolution. Great book.