Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree37Likes

Old 01-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #91 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Will Ferguson - Spanish Fly

Spanish Fly
This novel is all about the swindle life in the 30ties.

Really good.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #92 (permalink)

I've been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett (Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, and (Faust) Eric. Dude is hilarious. The stories are great and they're really funny. He's like the Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide) of fantasy

I've also just started Dune. I'm not very far into it, but it seems pretty cool.

I'm also about halfway through a collection of H.P Lovecraft short stories called "Call of Cthulu and Other Dark Tales". He's fantastic. He writes like Charles Dickens would if Dickens wasn't fucking boring. The stories usually walk the line of fascinating and haunting. It's a good line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
I always believed that as you got older you'd get more dangerous.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #93 (permalink)

I fucking loved this book, started it yesterday morning and totally finished by the afternoon. In the vein of Tucker Max style, but not so fucking crazy as Tucker Max.

I related so much to the author. It shows what a lot of guys are really thinking. Plus there's quite a few really fucking funny stories.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #94 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingdumb View Post
I've been reading a lot of Terry Pratchett (Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, Sourcery, and (Faust) Eric. Dude is hilarious. The stories are great and they're really funny. He's like the Douglas Adams (Hitchhiker's Guide) of fantasy
I didn't find him like Douglas Adams at all. I tried to read Pratchett and couldn't get very far and quit.

Quote:
I've also just started Dune. I'm not very far into it, but it seems pretty cool.
Dune is a GREAT book. Second book is good and it's all downhill from there.

Quote:
I'm also about halfway through a collection of H.P Lovecraft short stories called "Call of Cthulu and Other Dark Tales".
That's a really good book too.
Scumhook likes this.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #95 (permalink)

Polished off the last volume of John Dos Passos' U.S.A. Trilogy and, while not nearly as good as its reputation, still a very worthwhile read. Clearly an inspiration for later American writers like E.L. Doctorow and Don DeLillo.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #96 (permalink)

Wow its been a while since I posted in this thread, anyway as far as what I've been reading I finished a Biography of Abigail Adams and am reading David Mcculough's 1776 right now so far its been really good and I am learning a lot about the actual revolutionary campaign. As far as fiction I started Star Wars: Death Troopers I am only about 20 pages in but so far so good.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #97 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgus View Post
I didn't like Stieg Larsson's 'Girl With The...' trilogy at all.
I felt like the author is a weak little cunt who wants to rape and torture women but aligns himself as a feminist so he can write it. It doesn't add up and I think I'm glad he is dead.
The opposite, in fact. Larsson witnessed a girl being gang raped when he was 15. It seriously colored his views of men who mistreat women, which is painfully apparent in the Millennium books.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhatch View Post
In a stunningly typical of myself move, I have started a book none of you have graciously suggested. It's called Neuromancer by William Gibson...anyone heard of it? ...
No. No one has ever fucking heard of William Gibson - the fucking guy who invented the term "Cyberspace".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhatch View Post
I'm not really sure how I feel about Neuromancer yet. Some of the scenes he sets are incredible and his view of the future/internet is very bleak which I like (it was written in the 80s.) But the writing is dense, almost too dense for me. And I don't particularly like Case, the main character. I dunno. If you've read it, your thoughts?
My thoughts were, when I read the summary of this post, "Oh fuck, he's going to love this book and I'm going to have to agree with the cunt".

Fortunately for me, your appalling taste in literature (matched only by the fact that you listen to music with your anus) means I get to disagree with you and call you a stupid shithead who wouldn't know a good book if he, well..., read one.

William Gibson was a fucking visionary. No wonder you don't get him.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #99 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Last good book

No God but God by Reza Aslan,

If you know little about Islam and don't want to be talking out of your ass when confronted by your ultra conservative, Santorum supporting, duck dynasty watching, bigoted, sexist, uncle who makes 32,000 per year at the next thanksgiving diner, then this is the book for you! L'chiam!
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:57 PM   #100 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumhook View Post

William Gibson was a fucking visionary. No wonder you don't get him.

He refused to use a computer.