Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree37Likes

Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianAlt View Post
He refused to use a computer.
He was a wise man.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM   #102 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Born Standing Up

I'm sure the physical book is good but the audiobook, (available on torrent) is read by Steve Martin and really incredible.

All comedy fans should hear this story. Brilliant.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #103 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I read Stephen King Doctor Sleep, the sequel to the Shining.
Not NEARLY as good as 11/22/63 which is top 5 best Stephen King of all time in my humble opinion.

I also read his Wind Through the KeyHole, kind of a sandwhich book in the Gunslinger series. Not a part of the series, kind of an off shoot. It was whimsical and fun, a good read.

Right now I am reading Alice Munro's Runaway. I didn't read the intro or the cover so it took until the third story for me to realize it was a book of short stories. What a dim bulb....anyway, it's pretty good I have to say. I am really enjoying it. Nice easy read but well written so I don't feel like i'm reading brain candy.
Enunciated Piffle likes this.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #104 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

I'm reading the Game of Thrones series, currently on book 3. Its a great giant epic story but the author keeps building these characters up and bringing them almost to winning and then just killing everyone off.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #105 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The Discovery of the Titanic by Robert Ballard.

Yep, I'm one of *those* people.
campy likes this.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #106 (permalink)

Flaubert's Parrot by Julian Barnes. Profound!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 AM   #107 (permalink)

I second SGT's recommendation. I'm on the last book of the series and I'm obsessed. I don't know what I'll do with my life once the series ends.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #108 (permalink)

Fun and violent

Light House by William Monahan
Old 02-12-2014, 10:11 AM   #109 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex_n_diamonds View Post
I second SGT's recommendation. I'm on the last book of the series and I'm obsessed. I don't know what I'll do with my life once the series ends.
I finished the last book and I have to say fuck Martin for making me give a shit about any of their characters.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #110 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgtballard View Post
I finished the last book and I have to say fuck Martin for making me give a shit about any of their characters.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
Game of Thrones is the literary equivalent to crack. After the first book your left chasing the 'not Daenerys' dragon.

Chasing the dragon
This term is a bit more complicated than merely "smoking opium". It starts when you have your first high, the world is peaceful, everything is perfect, you're numb, but in the best way possible. But, soon, it starts wearing off. Fast. Your mind races, you're pulled out of your dream world. You crave the drug more and more, wanting to feel the same way as you did on your first high. You go to the dealer and buy the same amount you had the first time, and smoke. Still feels good, but not as good as first time. You go and buy more. Closer, but not quite there. You're stuck, you don't know what to do. You want to go back to that little dream world and stay forever, but your body is already developing a tolerance. You panic. You use all your money to buy more and more and more, but still, not the same as that first time. You realize that you have no more money, so you start selling your things, pawning whatever could get you that next bag. Still, nothing compared to what you had on that first, magical time. So, you're broke and own nothing. But you don't care, all you care about is getting back to the first high. You start stealing, doing "favors", whatever gets you the money for the attempt. Your life becomes a living hell, all in search of a repeat of the first high. That's chasing the dragon.
sex_n_diamonds likes this.