Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree366Likes

Old 08-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #4271 (permalink)

You mean you didn't notice something “throbbing unacknowledged beneath the surface” of the titular heroine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingerLakes View Post

Dora and the Lost City of Gold - A!

Hilarious! Heart-warming! So many Brown People!
From the first scene to the last, this movie goddamn stellar. You're engaged with the characters immediately, either because they're making cute references to the show or because of the action or because of the refreshing dialog. (Dora and her cousin Diego get into an argument one night and she stops it says "I think you're just yelling at me because you're sad you have to leave in the morning." My friend and I simultaneously exclaimed "Oooph! That's real!").

Swiper the Fox, voiced by Danny Trejo is a gem and steals any scene he is in.

There is singing in this movie but it is not a musical.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:41 PM   #4272 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

dude
thank you for reminding me to shit all over that pig on twitter.
what a fucking perverted pile of slime.

"WHY AREN'T THESE TEENAGERS FUCKING IN THIS MOVIE ABOUT FAMILY AND ADVENTURE?"
SpareBen likes this.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #4273 (permalink)

After the Wedding C or C+

The concept of the main plot point is interesting (woman flies around the world to get money from a rich philanthropist to find this donor is married to someone from her past) and we all know Michelle Williams is coming for Julia Roberts to be the Queen of Tears. So I went to this expecting alot of high tension of flying emotions but the acting for half the movie is surprisingly muted. Like there are several scenes where an argument is building up and they just end and another starts. I guess they wanted to go for a certain, boiling pot of tension kinda mood but it feels inauthentic. The last half, when the REAL reveal comes out, moves faster and feels genuine. Good acting. The young boy is cute.

Lion King
D-
(needed something to kill time before meeting ppl and I have moviepass)
Why did they just copy shots from the animated movie if none of them can live up to the original? All the emotion in Mufasa's face when he is betrayed by scar and falls and in Simba's when he sees it are memorable moments. In this movie, you can't recreate those because fucking cat faces can't emote. They look like cats staring at shit. Felt like a college did a recreation of the movie as a project.

(updating my score for Once Upon a Time to a D. I forgot there was D between F and C)
NotARegularMom likes this.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:30 AM   #4274 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Ready or Not: fucking A+. I haven't had this much fun in a horror movie in a long time. It's funny, it's scary, it's creepy, you get to root for a child to die, you get to cheer and laugh with the leading lady as opposed to at her. What more could you want?

https://youtu.be/ZtYTwUxhAoI
FingerLakes likes this.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:02 PM   #4275 (permalink)

Shobs and Rawr C-

-40 minutes too long.
-The "3 day" period before the virus melts Whatsherfaces insides and then spreads all over the world, killing everyone, lasts for at least a week. Why bother giving a time frame and reference it if you're going to take 3 trips around the world that ALONE take 30+ hours plus the downtime of the fighting and setting up defenses and fixing bormances all completely fuckig ignore that time frame.
-The Rock and Jason Statham have been funny in other things (SNL, Spy w/ Melissa McCarthy, Crank) but the characters are so busy having a dick-measuring contest that after the very first scene they're in together NONE of the banter is ever funny again. "I have a pair of pants you could use but be careful, my nuts are so huge there's like a lot of room in them now. LOL"
----The fight scenes weren't interesting enough to sit through the banter. NO ONE BLEEDS, THE CHOREO IS PRE-CIVIL WAR LEVEL.
--this made it to C because of all the shirtless Samoan men in the movie AND becausse the film is called "Super Combo" in Japan.

The Kitchen B-
Pretty OK movie that isn't entirely believable but is suspenseful,exciting, violent and fun. The wives who's only job was to take car of kids for 10 years suddenly know how to run mafia shit within 2 days. Once you swallow that, its an fun ride. Still not sold on Tiffany Haddish in dramatic roles but everyone is giving their best. Actually, this might be the least interesting character Margo Martindale has done. She's cranky and racist and barely on screen.

so far the best movie I've seen this season has been dora the explorer. I might see it again for that dance number
but Ready or Not is only my list for this week
Old 08-26-2019, 04:29 PM   #4276 (permalink)

This looks like the next tearjerker worth anything that's coming out.

I also have been hearing good things about Nightingale, but its more depressing action than tearjerker

Old 08-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #4277 (permalink)

Blinded by Light - B/B+

A very cute feel good coming of age dramedy. I don't have a very strong connection to The Boss but mannnn do I have a connection to being a kinda effeminate brown immigrant who writes too much and has family issues. This, like Elton, made me wanna get into his early work.

Keith, there are at least TWO musical numbers in this movie. Please be ware. It was funny and moving and VERY cheesy but everyone acted their ass off. Also its a true story and I really enjoy seeing those "here are the real people" photos at the end of these/

Ready or Not - B+

The second best movie I've seen all summer. What a refreshingly, earnestly violent (but not overly gory) movie. Great tension and surprises, bits of humor thanks to the fuck-up siblings (shout out to Kristian Brunn from Orphan Black). It was a pallet cleanser after the super artificial and very PG13 Hobbs and Shaw.
Also shout out to the Evil Aunt and her amazing hair do that they never put under a hood
SpareBen likes this.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #4278 (permalink)

Seconding the Fingerlakes Booksmart recommendation.

Ready for Keith's review. It's on redbox.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:53 AM   #4279 (permalink)

Steven Universe: THE MOVIE - AA++++

I cried a fucking bunch
It was playing at a bar near me but I didn't get to go see it on labor day. I would've loved to be in a room of adults crying to this musical

i guess here's a regular trailer for it

Last edited by FingerLakes; 09-17-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #4280 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Spilt

Just watched Split, fell asleep only to wake up near the end, no spoiler, all I can say is cheap bastards.