Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree366Likes

Old 09-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #4291 (permalink)

Wasn't interested in Ad Astra until I saw a few reviews/friends say it was "visually stunning." Sounds like the visuals weren't enough to make up for the story, but I really really like space movies for the cool spacey shots. Does it come anywhere close to Interstellar levels of "whoa space looks fucking crazy" ?? Because despite Interstellar's dragged out cheesy plot resolution, it's still one of the best movies I've ever seen in a theater (watching it on a curved planetarium IMAX screen definitely helped this).
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:59 PM   #4292 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

hard to say. I saw Interstellar but can't remember anything but the giant wave, the ending and thinking the robot should've won best supporting character.

For Ad Astral Chain I'd say the coolest part is a drive on the moon. But overall the special effects and visuals, like the acting, are all very muted. Besides some opening shots of the Earth there wasn't anything that was like "woow that's cooooool." at least not for me. Maybe Keith or someone else remembers some better moments I'm forgetting
jcro21 likes this.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #4293 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Nope
jcro21 and FingerLakes like this.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #4294 (permalink)

Villains C+/B-
Despite what all of the trailers show, this is a comedy. a dark comedy.
to compare it something else I would kinda call it a horny Zombieland meets a twisted Mr & Mrs Smith
It took maybe 15 minutes until I liked the protagonists but they won me over.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #4295 (permalink)

Lucy in the Sky D
This film was just a boring slice of life flick with Natalie Portman doing a weird southern accent with a lisp(?!) Then after over hour Natalie's character has a loss and loses her mind (fucked crazy by John Hamm's massive schlong I assume) and it becomes interesting for a second. But the crazy keeps going without any examination of it, or much reaction from the ppl affected by it and I was just tired of the whole thing.

A few days after I saw it I learned it was based on a real woman and that made it somehow worse.

IT 2 - D+
Too long. Boring.
Honestly felt like an overly long SNL episode, where the skits are trying to be funny but only 40% of the jokes land and they use potty humor to overcome bad writing. There's an actual puke scene that is played like a joke in this film about magic clowns killing people.

The CGI is horrible. When the fortune cookies explode into melty bats and tentacle monsters, it looked like it came from a child's animated movie. They even split up like the assholes from ScoobyDoo.

Alot of people seem to be giving Bill Hater props for doing a serious role but he's playing a sad drunk comedian who uses mean humor to hide his pain...so he's just being a comedian.
I liked it more than Lucy really just because of all the crying and friendship at the end.

Pain and Glory - A
Surprisingly beautiful and refreshingly real. Just go see it if you can.

Gemini Man - B
Won't win any awards for writing but I liked the action.
Young Will looks weird, like he doesn't know how to "be young" so he keeps making this face with his eyebrows furrowed and his lips pressed that I guess he thinks looks like a nervous young person?? But it just looks odd.
But I went for the action and it was better than the whacky bullshit that was in Hobbs and Shaw. No blood but waaaay better choreographed than the Stand and Get Punched shit the Rock and Stathem did. And the settings were also gorgeous.

Last edited by FingerLakes; 10-14-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #4296 (permalink)

The Holy Mountain - Alejandro Jodorowsky, 1973

Here's a movie that's perfect for when you're too high to function. Fantastic set design and real trippy imagery. Don't ask me to describe the plot because I'm still not sure exactly what it was all about, and I'm not sure it matters. Probably the most entertaining "art film" I've ever seen.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:43 PM   #4297 (permalink)

I could never watch that^
Old 10-16-2019, 11:27 AM   #4298 (permalink)

Fractured on Netflix - one of those unreliable narrator things. Hated it. The director made one of my favorite horror movies, Session 9:

Old 10-28-2019, 11:44 AM   #4299 (permalink)

Jojo Rabbit - B
Suprised that this is getting mixed reviews. It's just good. The previews originally turned me off cuz I thought it was just more "Nazis can be funny too!" stuff. But its actually touching and funny and has the greatest Best Friend character since Sean on Boy Meets World.

Can't fucking wait to see Parasite
Bucho likes this.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #4300 (permalink)

Parasite C+
The acting is astounding and the Dads are all VERY fuckable but this movie was honestly just kinda whatever. Everyone sucks a little bit or a lot, no one deserves the horrible things that happen, but also no one is so good they deserve to come out on top. There is no one to root for.

The pacing is a bit off. After a very intriguing and exciting first act, nothing happens for far too long until the Big Rain Storm Revelation. In that big chunk of film, they could've spent time making you dislike one family more, having people make more decision that show off their character but, nah, everyone is just living.

--
it was billed as a horror movie before release then people starting calling it comedy, thriller, drama. It's a drama with clever writing. And I can't lie that the let down of it not being horror related influenced how I took it
Enunciated Piffle likes this.

Last edited by FingerLakes; 10-31-2019 at 11:58 AM.