Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree366Likes

Old 01-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #81 (permalink)

Just watched Serenity, great flim. Love the TV show, Firefly, too.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:03 PM   #82 (permalink)

Seen a lot of movies, if you want to follow my day to day movie watching start following my twitter. But some exeptional great movies I've seen lately;

Let the Right One In
A swedish film getting high praise at festivals all around the world. About a boy who is getting tormented by bullies at school and finds comfort in the friendship and love of a girl that just moved in next door. The catch? She's a vampire. This movie is the opposite of Twilight, it surpasses its genre, the movie has great character development, the most beautiful subtle scenes.
One of the best movies I've ever seen. I L-O-V-E it!

Man on Wire
Docu about the man who walked on a wire between the twin towers. Unbelievable story. Great footage!

Special
A guy signs up for a medicine clinical trial and ends up getting super powers from the medicine... or so he believes. One of the most original movies I've seen in today's cinema. Great cinematography as well!

Baghead
Indy lowbudget flick about 4 friends/failed actors who decide to spend a weekend at a summerhouse in the woods, trying to come up with their own movie. They get the idea for a horror flick about a murderer with a bag over his head. But what happens when the baghead appears?! It's a constant back and forth between who is this baghead, is it one of the friends messing with the others, or is there really a threat?
Great movie, some good scary moments, some good general jokes, and actually a great tale about friendship. The whole film felt very natural.

So that's four down and ... what, like 10 more movies to go? And I keep adding to my 'to watch' list as wel.. >.>

Anyone have a good download for waltz with bashir?

Facebook | JustBryan.nl | Twitter
"Bryan is a legend!"- OCD-dude
Old 01-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #83 (permalink)

Memento

Wow... good movie!
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM   #84 (permalink)

The Spirit

As most of you probably know, I love comics, so allow me to ramble a bit. It all comes back on topic, I promise.

Watchmen is often called 'the Citizen Kane of comics', it isn't (though it may be the Citizen Kane of superhero comics or The Godfather of comics). The Spirit, however, is the Citizen Kane of comics.

With each strip you could see Will Eisner experimenting with and establishing the methods to be used in contemporary comics in the same way that Citizen Kane established contemporary cinema. It's not only a great comic but an important one that is still relevant to those wanting to learn how to make comics almost 70 years on.

In addition to this, and in the words of Neil Gaiman, 'Eisner's lightness of touch and mastery of story, his humour and his humanity' are why (and I'm paraphrasing Warren Ellis because why not quote two amazing writers in one poorly structured sentence?) comic book readers talk about The Spirit in the kind of hushed tones usually reserved for the Turin Shroud.

Then there's Frank. We all know Frank Miller from various Batman stories, 300 and Sin City but what you may not know is that he was Eisner's close friend and great admirer. The two even published a book of their conversations called Eisner/Miller. So when The Spirit's film rights were being shopped around and someone approached Miller (at Eisner's memorial service, no less) to direct, you'd think that the adaptation would be in perfect hands, wouldn't you?

You'd be mistaken.

Here's the problem. Frank Miller learnt how to make a film from Robert Rodriguez on the set of Sin City but Sin City is no normal movie, in fact it's deliberately unlike any other movie. Frank Miller was all excited and all ready to leap into being a film-maker with the knowledge of how to make a Sin City movie but without the film rights to his own book.

Miller's solution? Mutate The Spirit into Sin City. Denny Colt, plucky everyman in a blue suit is now a grim avenger in a black suit with SUPERPOWERS ala wolverine. Gone are the colours and character, gone is the humanity and gone is Eisner. Worse still - it's not even a good Sin City – he can't even rip himself off successfully!

But this isn't merely a terrible adaptation, its a terrible movie – Frank Miller clearly has no idea what he's doing, his actors look lost, the pacing is uneven with scenes lasting way too long and it's tone bounces all over the place within single scenes.

In short: Frank Miller turns his dead friend's important comic into a low rent rip-off of his own work.

Last edited by standardman; 01-06-2009 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #85 (permalink)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Interesting movie and keeps your attention.
Thats my in-depth review for now...
Old 01-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #86 (permalink)

Assassination of Jesse James - 4/5

It chronicles the last days of Jesse James. A little OTT and slow in parts, but overall a decent watch. If it helps, it has Brad Pitt and Casey Affleck in.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #87 (permalink)

Police Story 2, a Jackie Chan classic that I never watched. It had a good mix of comedy and choreographed fight scenes. 8/10.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #88 (permalink)

Doubt Very good. Streep, Hoffman and Adams were all awesome. i was especially impressed with Adams only because I had never seen her is such a challenging role. The scenes in the principals office were great. I also loved the less traditional angles that the camera was held at. I think the only thing I didn't like was that Streep's Irish (?) accent came and went a lot. I don't know that it was on purpose.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 PM   #89 (permalink)

Benjamin button. Not a bad movie, reminded me alot of Gump, I guess its the voice over
Old 01-05-2009, 12:31 AM   #90 (permalink)

religulous