Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree4Likes

Old 11-15-2016, 08:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Who's Doing Westworld?

So, who's in so far? I think Westworld is brilliant - possibly the best thing I've seen on TV in a while.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

It's getting worse.
Scat likes this.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirteen View Post
It's getting worse.
Seriously?? What does it take for you to be entertained?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Loved the show when it started. Episode 7 now...I'm guessing there are between 10-13? Some parts are great, but overall it's confusing and slow. I'm trying to go along for the ride and stick with it for the entire season.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ten episodes.

I agree, it can be hard to follow but this podcast "Violent Delights" breaks each episode down really well and offers some great insights on the themes and subtext.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/...160231167?mt=2
Old 11-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks, maybe I'll check it out. Although, I've been reading theories and it helps me understand the show more but it's also less exciting.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Los

It's taking it too seriously, but it doesn't make sense that the androids live entire lives without anyone around to see them. It seems silly that they would waste the technology on a theme park, no matter how much they charge for it. The scale and complexity is so big that it's unrealistic.

I like the opening credits though. It looks like the same company that did Daredevil.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

The thing is that the technology is so advanced and so exclusive that Dr. Robert Ford is holding onto it as tightly as he can. And I guess the other thing to consider is, we don't know what the state of the world is outside of the park.

I just took a look at the company who did the title sequence - Elastic - looks like they did. Also did True Detective.

Home - Elastic
Los likes this.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Los

I get it, but those androids would be the biggest achievement in history, and guests can do whatever they want to them. It's strange that their creator would care so much about his work, and treat them as disposable. I'm not caught up, so I don't know if they get into that.

I don't think the tech is common outside of the park. I remember the guests being surprised at how lifelike they are. It's pretty good though. I like it when movie actors do TV.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

The first few episodes had me really enthralled, and it is still definitely one of the best shows on TV right now. But as we go further along, I guess I'm disappointed because this is not the show I thought I was getting.

I thought the show would be more about the hosts' personal growth and their self-awareness, about morality and what it means to be human. It would be about the progression of technology and what that means for all of us.

It still has some of that, but I feel like the show is getting bogged down with "what is the maze" and "who is a host" and goofy mysteries that serve plot over character and never really let on what these character's motivations are.