Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Wikileaks

Don't know how safe it is to be posting about Wikileaks given how paranoid sections of the the U.S. Government have been in th past few weeks.

It's been pretty much the story of the moment Down Under with a great deal of sympathy for Assange and not much at all for the U.S. Government. Our government have come off looking like biggest arse lickers of the century in their parroting of American calls for Assange's head and they found themselves (yet again) on the wrong side of the public mood.

Julian Assange might be a little bastard (and I don't believe he is ... *cough* hero *cough*) but he's our little bastard. Any American calls for him to be charged with domestic espionage should be roundly responded to with a giant "Fuck off". So far as I know Julian Assange has never been to the US much less held a US passport so the notion that he should be subject to any US laws is ludicrous.

Anyways...my two cents.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've been kind of following the story over here. Most of the Canadian politicians are embarrassed by some of the leaks but there hasn't been much detrimental information leaked yet.

I think the reaction of the different governments and corporations says a LOT more then the leaks have up to now. They are all running scared, trying to bully the Wikileaks team by cutting off their way to distribute the information and their ability to earn money as well as sending their bodyguards Interpol after Assange, the ringleader. All of a sudden Assange up on rape charges that have NOTHING to do with the leaks just a coincidence? Come on, this just reinforces that these leaks are a must read.

The media is saying that it is the most important journalistic event of our time. A step towards opening the floodgates of real information.

That being said....the leaks will make heads roll, literally i'm sure. Especially when the lists of informant names are released.

Confidential means no epaper trail people.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

it's mainly US officials being humilated, which is not a bad thing. but i don't believe it's just the US government after Assange. i think it really is just another case of a high-profile celebrity being fucked up by a couple of evil women. if you read up on the allegations against him and the story behind it, you'll agree.

did yall hear about Operation: Payback? tons of wikileaks fans were hacking into all sorts of shit and making the security networks of all these huge corporations look like child's play.
this was yesterday
Old 12-09-2010, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletchLives View Post
did yall hear about Operation: Payback? tons of wikileaks fans were hacking into all sorts of shit and making the security networks of all these huge corporations look like child's play.
this was yesterday
I love this...I will have to check the back story!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Companies Rocked by Pro-WikiLeaks Hack Attacks
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
hell yeah! they took down some Visa and Mastercard servers. Paypal got molested. Wells Fargo reported network issues. and tons of other companies.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wikicares.

Just like what most pundits have said, it's not really anything anyone didn't already know or assume.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have to say that, hands down, the best coverage of Assange/Wikileaks to date has come from Crikey -- On politics, media, business, the environment and life. It's kinda like Australia's version of The Huffington Post and it has fast rendered News Ltd. grip on the nations thought processes irrelevant.

Crikey are the only one's thus far to secure an interview with Assange's son Daniel, who - for all he has been put through by our MSM here and your's there - has come out looking exceptionally dignified.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wikileaks is a big event.

Information is the currency of democracy.

Wikileaks is and will provide hidden information.

It won't go away, the concept is and will remain Internet fasciculated.

Heads will roll.

Don't write anything, or do anything in front of a recording device, that you wouldn't like presented in a court of law.

As Campy says - Confidential means no epaper trail people.