Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

View Poll Results: If freakshoow were (legally) rebuilt would you approve and go watch them?
Yes. If they want to make money out of their deformity, i'm ok and i'd watch. 26 65.00%
Yes they can do whatever they want, but i wouldnt watch that, it's wrong. 13 32.50%
No. It's immoral. They should be sheltered from the evils of society. 1 2.50%
No. And the term freak offends me. 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

I said yes I would go even though I don't care, just to screw with the poll results.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Of course. If these abominations of the human species want to put themselves on display for the amusement and disgust of others, then I'll get early tickets. Plus popcorn.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

I'd need proof it was an actual freak show, I've seen shitty ones with midgets and people with tattoos doing tricks. No, I want actual deformed people, in cages.
I want shit I can't see every day. A midget isn't a freak they're on TLC all the time. A dude with a neck tattoo and giant ear holes bagged my groceries the other day. I want the two faced baby, an actual bearded lady, people with arms coming out of their chests.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

I think a lot of potential freak shows are ruined by the advancements of science/medicine. I saw an old picture the other day of a woman with four legs (she had two shrivelled ones coming out her cooch) but now, she'd likely have had them lopped off after she was born. Also, I don't know how long a two-headed baby would live, but there are people who are born with oddities a bit like that- more than one face, or bits where there really shouldn't be any bits- that are fixed up with surgery. I guess not many people have "being in a freak show" as one of their aspirations in life. Go figure. Also, most of them would die, apparently. I think one girl in Asia lived as a mermaid for a few years before her parents got the surgery for her legs to be separated.

Thanks for that book title- I'll have a look into it.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #15 (permalink)

You know I have this weird thing that when someone tell me about a video or picture with some "freak person" that they saw on the internet I would check that out as soon as I can; but after the first shock of seeing the picture I start feelin like a scumbag for my curiosity. But even as I know thatīs how I react to these kind of stuff everytime I keep doing it. I think for that matter im kinda like a little boy who just doesnīt learn the lesson
Old 06-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Curiosity's a bitch, innit? Sorry for making you feel like a horrible person, though. Personally, I feel bad for looking at those photos not because I'm looking at all, but because I'm repulsed by them in some cases, and yet I know I'm looking at a living person. It's a bit of "Ew... but aw... but ew..." and then the disgusted part of my brain throws up on the part that feels sorry for them, and I end up checking my email instead.

On a different note (and apologies in advance for any guilt this may cause you)...

Have you seen the picture of the "Tree-man?" Apparently he's getting medication, so he's kind of healing up now (he has some kind of horrible wart-disease that's actally treatable now) but I remember a friend showed me pictures from when he was in the worst of it... 0_0. He really does look like a tree.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I completely changed my mind on the issue when i read a memoir written by a "freak" that speaks about their days in the carnies.
What was the book called? I'd like to read it.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:12 AM   #18 (permalink)

I think its kind of like brothels, the ones where they kidnap people and enslave them are bad but the ones where the women have a say in how its run and can turn down clients are fine. So a freak show thats like freak owned and operated would be awesome.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #19 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alannanana View Post
What was the book called? I'd like to read it.
"We Who Are Not As Others" by Daniel P. Mannnix

Very human, with weirdly sweet photos. Kinda gives you a different perspective.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
I think a lot of potential freak shows are ruined by the advancements of science/medicine. I saw an old picture the other day of a woman with four legs (she had two shrivelled ones coming out her cooch) but now, she'd likely have had them lopped off after she was born. Also, I don't know how long a two-headed baby would live, but there are people who are born with oddities a bit like that- more than one face, or bits where there really shouldn't be any bits- that are fixed up with surgery. I guess not many people have "being in a freak show" as one of their aspirations in life. Go figure. Also, most of them would die, apparently. I think one girl in Asia lived as a mermaid for a few years before her parents got the surgery for her legs to be separated. .
Good point. But consider that a lot of them died back then too. Also if there was a way to exploit people's curiosity, make money out of it and dont be humiliated in the news by fake pity, maybe people wont use the surgery (which could be risky).

According to Mannix' s book, they lived as a part of society, very united and with normal interactions with people and each other.

It's a push (since i dont know what i would really do if it happened) but i think that if, for some reason i lost all my limbs and became a functioning human torso, i'd rather have people pay me to see me, rather than being the subject of a weepy tv special that makes "nice" ladies weep a little before they go back to their lives.